Thread: 2014 Cross-Country Teams

Default 2014 Cross-Country Teams

Both men's and women's teams are doing well. Makes me think that NDSU's new hire, Andrew Carlson (and Travis Fitzke, is he still at 'SU as an assistant?) is doing a terrific job.

Erin Teschuk took 3rd (amongst collegians) at Stanford a few weeks ago, which is fantastic. It is not often a men's NDSU cross-country squad beats both the South Dakota schools, yet the men did it this year. Some surprising (positive) results from the Ron Pynn meet last weekend. On the women's side, Paige Stratioti took over a minute off her best 5K time. That is a pretty darn huge improvement. A 5k is a bit over three miles, so imagine someone taking 22 seconds off their best mile time ... that is a damn big improvement. Bodes well for her upcoming track season. She has shown great speed in the 400m, so with a stronger distance base, could very well be a big breakthrough year for her in the 800m. On the men's side, I was expecting to see Brett Kelly be the top Bison given his strong performance last spring in the steeplechase at the NCAAs. Yet he was the 3rd best Bison, so it appears to me that Carlson is doing a good job of teasing talent out of the Bison runners that has not yet been realized.

I continue to be amazed at all that NDSU is doing not only in football but also in Track and Field and now Cross Country. It will be interesting to see how NDSU does for the Conference and National meets.

Default Re: 2014 Cross-Country Teams

On the men's side it has been great to see a few of the older guys step up. Marty Joyce seems to have taken a big step forward this fall. Joyce was a stud in high school, but seemed to have gotten lost in the shuffle a bit after a solid freshmen year. However, he has really stepped up this season and is looking good. Joyce running well is big part of the men's team getting better. It will be fun to see what he can do on the track this spring if he keeps pushing hard. Brett Kelly has gotten consistently better since coming to NDSU, as expected he has been consistently towards the front of the pack. I think you are right that the reason he hasn't led the team most meets has more to do with the guys around running well. Kelly is consistently solid, I am sure it will continue. Lucas DeGree has been awesome this fall! He has made a huge jump since starting at NDSU, it is always fun to see the guys who had slightly slower PR's in high school emerge as leaders.

On the women's side, if Erin Teschuk keeps getting better she is going to be REAL GOOD (as if she isn't already). Stratioti is one heck of a talent too, I am expecting to see some pretty big things from her on the track this spring. Perhaps she will even venture into Christine Bruins or dare I say Laura Hermanson type performances, or at least in the same neighborhood? Hopefully Coach Godfrey's departure doesn't have too much of an impact on the mid-d girls.

Enjoyed your comments. Should be a good meet at Rose Creek Golf Course.

Is Brecca OK? She hasn't run a race in almost a year as far as I can tell.

The Bison women took 2nd and the men took 4th. Erin Teschuk takes the individual title in a very good race with 2 Coyotes. Then 2 of them got some separation and Erin really took off the last 1/2 mile. In typical Lars fashion he made it easy for everyone having a 2k loop so the women ran it 3 times and the guys ran it 4 times. I just had to laugh when I saw the split marker. See pic below.

20141101_125525.jpg
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Go Erin ! Good luck at nationals.
    (Wear something on the legs. It is supposed to be cold).

Erin Teschuk took 116th place and nationals. Needless to say that she was disappointed with this performance. After taking 2nd in one of the toughest regions, hopes were high for the sophomore. She has a great future and I can't wait to see all the records that she is going to break on the track. I would like to someone challenge Nancy Dietmann's records.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Fortunately she is not done at NDSU. She had a good track season last year. Sure looks like she has the talent and drive to have a terrific track season.

Anyone know ... did she run with bare legs at the Cross Country Div I nationals?

Fortunately she is not done at NDSU. She had a good track season last year. Sure looks like she has the talent and drive to have a terrific track season.

Anyone know ... did she run with bare legs at the Cross Country Div I nationals?