Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: I'll be the first to apologize for the student section

Default Re: I'll be the first to apologize for the student section

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    That is my larger point. It does seem high. It's 30% of the total student body and 21% of the seats. My point is that everybody seems to overvalue the activity fee in the support of the football program.
    Sorry. That's not what I meant by high. 6 sections seating 4,000 would equate to a capacity of nearly 24,000 (aren't there 36 sections?).

I have no strong opinion on how many tickets should be allotted to students.

My rough estimate is that it currently approximates the same percentage as it was at Dacotah.

NDSUBowler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If the problem remains that selling ticket packages to students would hurt less popular attendance sports then there are two possible answers that come to mind.

1. Break off the more popular sports (football and maybe MBB) portion of the funds they get and have just those be 'pay on your own' for season ticket clumps. The students contribution from student activity fees go down by whatever percentage of it is taken by FB/MBB and the students have the chance to purchase tickets to those. It also allows free attendance to the less popular sports here so students can still go to that since 'hey it's free at least' is likely a reason they are more willing to go.

2. Have an all-around athletics pass. You want to go to a football game? You must spend $XXX and you get a card that entitles you to attend any sporting event. That whole cost is then pooled and broken down by %, like it currently is.

I'm not sure if either idea is plausible or not, but it couldn't be too hard for NDSU to do some studies to gauge the student reaction to ideas like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUBowler View Post
    If the problem remains that selling ticket packages to students would hurt less popular attendance sports then there are two possible answers that come to mind.

1. Break off the more popular sports (football and maybe MBB) portion of the funds they get and have just those be 'pay on your own' for season ticket clumps. The students contribution from student activity fees go down by whatever percentage of it is taken by FB/MBB and the students have the chance to purchase tickets to those. It also allows free attendance to the less popular sports here so students can still go to that since 'hey it's free at least' is likely a reason they are more willing to go.

2. Have an all-around athletics pass. You want to go to a football game? You must spend $XXX and you get a card that entitles you to attend any sporting event. That whole cost is then pooled and broken down by %, like it currently is.

I'm not sure if either idea is plausible or not, but it couldn't be too hard for NDSU to do some studies to gauge the student reaction to ideas like this.
    Like I said before, at Kansas and Ohio State (two schools of which I am familiar) you get into most things free with the exception of the high demand revenue sports (football and basketball) for which you buy a season ticket at a reduced rate compared to the public.

I hope you wouldn't pay too much for a study asking the students "would you like to pay for the football games instead of getting in for free?"

We could always follow the lead of the people to the North. Students pay for hockey tickets at the Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    We could always follow the lead of the people to the North. Students pay for hockey tickets at the Ralph.
    Yes, which is why I mentioned it earlier. There's a template.

NDSUBowler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Like I said before, at Kansas and Ohio State (two schools of which I am familiar) you get into most things free with the exception of the high demand revenue sports (football and basketball) for which you buy a season ticket at a reduced rate compared to the public.

I hope you wouldn't pay too much for a study asking the students "would you like to pay for the football games instead of getting in for free?"
    Well, when you word it THAT way...

I suppose it would be a raw deal for those who are here on scholarship and would have tickets covered by said scholarship and if they had to purchase tickets it would come out of their own pocket...expenses they wouldn't have incurred.

But if you ask the student body "would you all like to be given the option to either keep a piece of money that goes to student activities, or use that money to willingly purchase tickets" you'd get a much different answer than "would you like to pay for the football games instead of getting in for free?"...especially from the students at NDSU that don't care to go to football games.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUBowler View Post
    Well, when you word it THAT way...

I suppose it would be a raw deal for those who are here on scholarship and would have tickets covered by said scholarship and if they had to purchase tickets it would come out of their own pocket...expenses they wouldn't have incurred.

But if you ask the student body "would you all like to be given the option to either keep a piece of money that goes to student activities, or use that money to willingly purchase tickets" you'd get a much different answer than "would you like to pay for the football games instead of getting in for free?"...especially from the students at NDSU that don't care to go to football games.

I wonder what % of those dollars are actually used in football. Every student pays for a ton of things they do not use.

I have a speech communication degree from NDSU, there are only about a dozen buildings on campus I ever even stepped into. Did my "money" go to pay for things I didn't use? Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Its utterly amazing that you can send an email and make a phone call on the same device you use to bitch on BV! WHAAAAATTTTA COUNTRY!!!!.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Pathetic. I stood up for my fellow students in the past, but this is absolutely pathetic. Unbelievable. Our fellow students that are players deserve better than this. Flame away.
    It's 100% because a majority of the student population has only experienced 1, MAYBE 2 losses in their careers so far. They don't remember 2009. They don't appreciate what we have.

I have been unable to get a student ticket for the last 3 games (mostly because I work during the hours they are released) and when I saw how empty the section was from my seat at bdubs, I almost cried. At a post-game party, I actually heard a girl (presumably sophomore) say "We win too much. These games are boringggggg."

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Since you don't love NDSU it's safe to assume you won't be giving generously after you graduate. Correct?
    Echoing 344's sentiment, I highly doubt a majority of any graduates will donate. I've heard many people specifically say they won't give a dime more to NDSU. Why? Because a lot of people in my generation are finding an increasingly harder time to get the job they were hoping to get with the expensive college education they paid for.

You say this is typical of the students?
    It is. See above.

What does that say about the future?
    Students, coming out of high school, lack school pride. No, I don't mean for their high school. I mean for their college. It's especially true for the younger classes at NDSU today. Reasons?

1) Our athletic teams are rarely threatened.
    They don't need a students cheer or battle cries to get the job done. Our teams are steam-rolling with or without the students help.

2) TV did it better.

The only games not on TV are all away. You get a better view from a TV and you can do other stuff like homework or laundry before hitting up the scene post-game. We are all about multitasking.

3) Rival? What rival?

Sure, there's SDSU. But, in the end, it's just SDSU. They are like the ugly step-brother who is 3 years younger than you. Annoying, yes, but not threatening. We lost our twin when dad moved out and mom upgraded divisions. Most students don't even care enough to know the name of the schools we play year in and year out. (See "What's UNI?") It's hard to get pumped up when you don't care about the team you are trying to beat.