Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2013 vs 2014

X-Factor is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2013 vs 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Loaf View Post
    Very much agree on this.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say most Bison Fans, in general, simply don't fully realize, or cannot completely believe, just what it is we are seeing here in these unprecedented times, as we transition into and through 2014 from a "once-in-a-lifetime" unbeaten FCS Championship Team AND a 3-year title run. But the numbers and the results (so far) don't lie ... even in the midst of the greatest run in FCS football history, this 2014 team hasn't fallen off very much at all ...... and is STILL pretty damn good!

And yes, I'm as guilty as the next guy in thinking "it just can't be so!", even after having the privilege of seeing this sort of thing happen before, back in the 80's.

But it IS happening right before my/our eyes. And I'm enjoying the hell out of it!
    I would argue that when it is all said and done (everyone knows we have a TON of football left to play and anything can happen), 2014 has much more upside potential than 2013 due to the maturity of the team. We have a lot of young players on the roster that are starting together for the their first season and the last 2 or 3 games they have really stepped it up. We could still lose, even in the regular season. I'm just pointing out that I think right now 2013 and 2014 are pretty much neck and neck in my book in terms of ability. A slight improvement in the O-line, WR (our leading receiver is a true freshman and we are still putting up 30 some points a game!), and FB is all it would take to start racking up Touchdowns in watershed moment fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
    I would argue that when it is all said and done (everyone knows we have a TON of football left to play and anything can happen), 2014 has much more upside potential than 2013 due to the maturity of the team. We have a lot of young players on the roster that are starting together for the their first season and the last 2 or 3 games they have really stepped it up. We could still lose, even in the regular season. I'm just pointing out that I think right now 2013 and 2014 are pretty much neck and neck in my book in terms of ability. A slight improvement in the O-line, WR (our leading receiver is a true freshman and we are still putting up 30 some points a game!), and FB is all it would take to start racking up Touchdowns in watershed moment fashion.
    Not much of a drop off at all. Very impressive imo.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I almost feel better about the offensive diversity in 2014. Carson tends to throw to the open person, instead of there being favorites and trust factors. The running game is a push, and our kicker is lethal. Say what you want about red zone tds, but im going to kick 4 FGs and feel good about it, not whine about it. On D . . .

DT depth not there, but got to love the way the Fr are playing
    DE maybe stronger than 2013, but Hardie needs to get rolling
    LB have to give the nod to GO, but its 1A/1B;
    S 2013 had Shep, a slight edge, Shep was lights out good
    CB more consistent in 2014, but 2013 had Swag

Quite frankly not much of a dropoff. The difference is 60, 69, and 94 from 2013, an elite group. Throw in the loss of 34, 16, 22, 77, 4 and its amazing we are where we are in 2014. The 2014 success speaks to the strong will of the program. The leadership of 53, 38, 52, 20, 35. 23 is awesome.
    Last edited by Herd; 11-01-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

By the way, what LB group is the greatest of all time at NDSU?

8, 44, 17 (OR) 34, 38, 52 ???

Are there any other groups that would be at this level?

As a unit, i have to go with the 2013 group.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post

Strictly speaking for recent NDSU history(late 90's and forward), it has to be your first example. Joe Mays, Ramon Humber and Mike Maresh. As great as this most recent group was, let's keep in mind, Joe and Ramon are STILL in the NFL. Not sure many FCS linebacking crews could say they had two linebackers, who played together, go on to have 7+ year NFL careers.

At the end of 2011, Beck, Evans, and Wilson were performing as well as Beck, Olson, and Littlejohn last season. The current group will never have the NFL success that Mays and Humber have had. How do you compare? Mays and Humber never played against a schedule like we have now. The FBS teams weren't near as good and there were mostly cupcakes in the FCS portion of the schedule. No MVFC schedule for Joe and only one season for Ramon.

I'd have to go with 2013 group. I understand that total defense as a whole has a lot more pieces to it than just the LB's, but the '13 defense gave up 75 yards less per game than did the '07 team. They were even 30 yards better at stopping the run per game which I would have guessed was the '07 groups strong point. And to add to it, against 4 playoff teams and a Big 12 team. The '07 group were physical specimens. Mays was a Hulk among boys. But the '13 group are just straight up ballers.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNation11 View Post
    I'd have to go with 2013 group. I understand that total defense as a whole has a lot more pieces to it than just the LB's, but the '13 defense gave up 75 yards less per game than did the '07 team. They were even 30 yards better at stopping the run per game which I would have guessed was the '07 groups strong point. And to add to it, against 4 playoff teams and a Big 12 team. The '07 group were physical specimens. Mays was a Hulk among boys. But the '13 group are just straight up ballers.
    The question wasn't which defense is better so throwing out statistics is irrelevant. If two of the three linebackers currently starting on this team go on to have nearly decade long NFL careers, then we can begin to have this conversation. Until then it's not even a discussion IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison06 View Post
    The question wasn't which defense is better so throwing out statistics is irrelevant. If two of the three linebackers currently starting on this team go on to have nearly decade long NFL careers, then we can begin to have this conversation. Until then it's not even a discussion IMO.
    So throwing out your "end all, be all" response is considered a discussion? A question was asked, that was my answer. If you read what I said, I clearly stated that stats don't say everything about the LB's, but it gives a general idea. I've watched both sets of LB's and I still believe that the '13 squad accomplished more IN COLLEGE. You can't compare pro careers because only Mays and Humber are there. The question was which group was better. Not which individuals were better.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.