Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: UMKC - Summit League

Default Re: UMKC - Summit League

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    I'm opposed to adding Mayville State.
    how about valley city?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    We need a 10th team(makes scheduling easier and is the perfect number for a basketball conference), don't see anyone that will help with the RPI so I favor fit and potential. I think UMKC can get their as long as the continue with the recent support they have given basketball.
    In looking at the resume, KC's Head Coach Kareem Richardson has the look of someone with a lot of upside potential. Good get for UMKC. He is also from the Rick Pitino Coaching Tree and is going into his 2nd season:

Prior to his arrival, Richardson served as an assistant coach at the University of Louisville under legendary coach Rick Pitino. He helped the Cardinals to the Big East tournament crown and the NCAA Tournament No. 1 overall seed, on the way to the 2012-13 National Championship.

Richardson also spent a season at UMKC in 2007-08 as an assistant. He has played and coached in the region, and has helped bring in well-ranked recruiting classes at every school during his coaching career.
    http://www.umkckangaroos.com/ViewArt...&Q_SEASON=2014

Below is the link to the recruiting class for 2014, which includes a former high-profile recruit originally from the KC-area who has transferred back after things did not work out at Fresno State.

http://www.umkckangaroos.com/ViewArt...B_OEM_ID=18300

The 'Roos also had a borderline top-100 recruit (Martez Harrison - 5' 11" PG) star as a freshman last season, Richardson's 1st as coach. Harrison was the WAC Freshman of the Year, avg 17.2 PPG.

http://www.umkckangaroos.com/ViewArt...B_OEM_ID=18300

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    It's all about timing and what the rest of the country does. Need to start the rumblings though.
    The Missouri Valley has a contract with ESPN and the Summit has nothing so I don't buy the whole TV market size crap people spew. The bottom line is espn broadcasts teams that people want to see known names with great atmosphes. It's national. Nobody wants to see Nebraska Omaha play in front of 1200 people. They want to see Nebraska or Creighton. Nobody wants to see UMKC. They want to see Wichita State, K-State, or Kansas. Indiana? Nobody cares about IUPUI and IPFW.

The only teams that have any name in the Summit are NDSU, SDSU, Oral Roberts, and maybe Denver. Outside of that it's good quality basketball that nobody knows or cares about despite market sizes.

The Missouri Valley Football Conference on the other hand has real names that can build on a strong brand. Bohl once said peole from the midwest may not always recognize the NDSU name but they recognize the MVC brand through basketball. We want to associate with thst brand especially given our location.

We are seeing facilities being built up in the MVFV and we are the best conference in terms of FCS attendance.

Youngstown is well known.
    You have teams who have a name from the MVC basketball conference in Indiana State, Illinois State, SIU, UNI, and Missouri State. NDSU is a national brand. The MVFC actually has potential to be a draw. Not only that the schools are spending money on facilities.

The MVC conference as a whole can compete with the mac. If we play it right and strengthen the conference we could overtake them with media if we become an FBS conference

The Summit as a football only conference is a bad idea. The MVFC has established markets we want to be associated with.
    Last edited by HerdBot; 10-05-2014 at 08:27 PM.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Any new information on UMKC? I was just looking at the WAC and thinking maybe New Mexico State would be a good travel partner for Denver. I am curious what the vibe in the Summit is regarding expansion at this point. Is it always on the table?
    "It's important in this life to dream big" - Brock Jensen during one of Kolpack and Izzo's pregame shows of the 2014 season.

"If you quit now, you quit for the rest of your life" - Chris Board 8/17/16 in the forum article.

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    Any new information on UMKC? I was just looking at the WAC and thinking maybe New Mexico State would be a good travel partner for Denver. I am curious what the vibe in the Summit is regarding expansion at this point. Is it always on the table?
    I'd guess that absolutely expansion is always on the table but holy shit New Mexico State? Talk about outside a footprint.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    I'd guess that absolutely expansion is always on the table but holy shit New Mexico State? Talk about outside a footprint.
    I agree. I've seen other people mention this before regarding NMSU. One needs to only look at the map to see they might as well be in Mexico. The border is like 50 miles away.

Denver is 600 miles away from Las Cruces.

Quote Originally Posted by KUlawJack View Post
    I agree. I've seen other people mention this before regarding NMSU. One needs to only look at the map to see they might as well be in Mexico. The border is like 50 miles away.

Denver is 600 miles away from Las Cruces.

Seems like a perfect fit for the big fluffy.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

No way should we bring back UMKC, they would be a drag on the Summit. Let them rot in the WAC.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    No way should we bring back UMKC, they would be a drag on the Summit. Let them rot in the WAC.
    UMKC hasn't shown they are committed to athletics and are so uninteresting and do nothing for the conference other than give us a good number and a good central location.

Personally I would love to see New Mexico State. Yes they are totally out of our footprint but they are at least INTERESTING. Solid team in a lousy conference yet they still draw between 6-9k fans and gave San Diego State a better game than we did in the Big Dance. It's a long haul but let's face it, damn near every game in the WAC is not a bus trip and the Summit isn't much better. I think fans would look forward to New Mexico State. Ask 100 people if they have ever heard of New Mexico State or UMKC and it's a laugher. They only have 5 wac sports right now so it's really a conference they havery just to survive. Could be interesting in the way Davis and Poly were in football.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Id be all for bringing in NMSU. Theyve been to the dance the past few years, state school, and would upgrade the conference a bit. Much better choice over other choices. I personally would take them over UMKC despite the Roos being in the foot print.