Page 939 of 1357 FirstFirst ... 4398398899299379389399409419499891039 ... LastLast
Results 9,381 to 9,390 of 13570

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    If you asked the entirety of the NDSU fanbase if they prefer the structure of the FCS playoffs to the FBS Bowl system, I think a large majority would say they prefer the structure of the FCS playoffs. Now if you asked them if they preferred the level of competition in the FCS or the FBS, a majority would say they prefer the FBS competition. Early on in our run, the FCS structure outweighed the level of competition. We hadn't accomplished as much, there were more teams in the FCS that could compete at a high level which provided more opportunities for intriguing games. I think if you asked the fanbase now, the split would be more even between FCS playoffs and FBS competition and may even be weighted towards a preference of the FBS competition. A big negative of moving to FBS is that as a G5 team the bowl games available to them seem a bit uninspiring. That's a valid point. However, I think the preference that many NDSU fans are starting to have is that in FBS we would likely see 7-8 of 13 games be competitive versus now in the FCS where 3-4 games of 15 would be competitive. The only way for that to change in the FCS is for us to come back to the pack which I think is a bit deflating for fans as well. This season is a great example of that. We have had more competitive games this season than we have typically had. However, most fans realize that it is because the Bison have not performed up to the levels that we have previously seen and not some movement by our conference or the greater FCS to catch up.
    Really good take.

It's clear they need to be FBS. Despite my thoughts here, I'm all for that. I just don't think it's going to be as fascinating as the louder FBS fans think.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    Really good take.

It's clear they need to be FBS. Despite my thoughts here, I'm all for that. I just don't think it's going to be as fascinating as the louder FBS fans think.
    I think as fans we are going to have to adjust our thinking from a postseason focus in FCS to a regular season focus in FBS. The bowl games alone aren't going to drive the bus on fan excitement as much as the playoffs do now in the FCS. We're not going to get the best of both worlds because that does not and will not exist for a school in NDSU's position.

It won't be as fascinating as Chapo claims. Doesn't have to be. Just has to be more fascinating than the current state of the FCS.
    Last edited by BigLakeBison; 11-23-2022 at 01:13 PM.

If you asked the entirety of the NDSU fanbase if they prefer the structure of the FCS playoffs to the FBS Bowl system, I think a large majority would say they prefer the structure of the FCS playoffs. Now if you asked them if they preferred the level of competition in the FCS or the FBS, a majority would say they prefer the FBS competition. Early on in our run, the FCS structure outweighed the level of competition. We hadn't accomplished as much, there were more teams in the FCS that could compete at a high level which provided more opportunities for intriguing games. I think if you asked the fanbase now, the split would be more even between FCS playoffs and FBS competition and may even be weighted towards a preference of the FBS competition. A big negative of moving to FBS is that as a G5 team the bowl games available to them seem a bit uninspiring. That's a valid point. However, I think the preference that many NDSU fans are starting to have is that in FBS we would likely see 7-8 of 13 games be competitive versus now in the FCS where 3-4 games of 15 would be competitive. The only way for that to change in the FCS is for us to come back to the pack which I think is a bit deflating for fans as well. This season is a great example of that. We have had more competitive games this season than we have typically had. However, most fans realize that it is because the Bison have not performed up to the levels that we have previously seen and not some movement by our conference or the greater FCS to catch up.
    This is where we are all at. People keep taking Lakes' nonsense and conflating it with everyone else on the FBS side of the spectrum. I've been saying it for years. Being FBS, you trade the potential for 2 great playoff games for 2 great non-con games. After that the conference is much more competitive. Then there's the years where we're a top 25 team and people can start talking about CFP (but doesn't really factor into my equation, CFP would just be gravy). That's enough for me on the football side.

I've said it a million times, but the biggest jump for us in going to a MW or MAC is in the non-football sports. We've hit our ceiling in the Summit and it's time to move on from that too. Our MBB program is the Jacksonville State of the OVC variety. Very good performance inside of a bad conference but when it comes time to take on the big dogs we can't hang. Same with baseball, apparently softball now, volleyball, etc.

The bowl system sucks and it is terrible. Every year where NDSU goes 7-5, 8-4 there's going to be thoughts of FCS and its awesome playoff system. Hopefully the NCAA is able to get its head out of its ass and create a G5 playoff system, but we'll see. Until then, ask any FBS move-up if they would ever think about coming back...
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    This is where we are all at. People keep taking Lakes' nonsense and conflating it with everyone else on the FBS side of the spectrum. I've been saying it for years. Being FBS, you trade the potential for 2 great playoff games for 2 great non-con games. After that the conference is much more competitive. Then there's the years where we're a top 25 team and people can start talking about CFP (but doesn't really factor into my equation, CFP would just be gravy). That's enough for me on the football side.

I've said it a million times, but the biggest jump for us in going to a MW or MAC is in the non-football sports. We've hit our ceiling in the Summit and it's time to move on from that too. Our MBB program is the Jacksonville State of the OVC variety. Very good performance inside of a bad conference but when it comes time to take on the big dogs we can't hang. Same with baseball, apparently softball now, volleyball, etc.

The bowl system sucks and it is terrible. Every year where NDSU goes 7-5, 8-4 there's going to be thoughts of FCS and its awesome playoff system. Hopefully the NCAA is able to get its head out of its ass and create a G5 playoff system, but we'll see. Until then, ask any FBS move-up if they would ever think about coming back...
    I think that is a really good point regarding the non-football sports at NDSU.

What function would a G5 playoff serve? The "best" G5 team won't even be there.
    College of Business Alumnus

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Great post, won't disagree with anything there.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    Probably for the 600 fans that show up. Good news on that one you could bring your kids and they could run around the stadium the entire game and not get lost in the shuffle. It would be like a Hoople 6 man game.
    or und like this message I got from a players family
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

I loved the 1-AA playoff when Nevada was in the Big Sky. It was indeed big fun. I did not enjoy Big Sky olympic sports, though. I see the bowl games as a nice reward for the players but the regular season, particularly the conference schedule, is the most compelling part. Nevada is 'lucky' to be able to play comparable schools year after year. These are schools I respect with great fans. Had Nevada not moved up when they did, I am not sure they would still have football. You do have to grow or risk stagnation. But, I certainly don't regret the stretch in 1-AA, even though it really hurt the basketball program. There are tradeoffs for everything. I certainly understand your desire to move to FBS. It is not easy but schools can thrive in G5.

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    I loved the 1-AA playoff when Nevada was in the Big Sky. It was indeed big fun. I did not enjoy Big Sky olympic sports, though. I see the bowl games as a nice reward for the players but the regular season, particularly the conference schedule, is the most compelling part. Nevada is 'lucky' to be able to play comparable schools year after year. These are schools I respect with great fans. Had Nevada not moved up when they did, I am not sure they would still have football. You do have to grow or risk stagnation. But, I certainly don't regret the stretch in 1-AA, even though it really hurt the basketball program. There are tradeoffs for everything. I certainly understand your desire to move to FBS. It is not easy but schools can thrive in G5.
    I think that's where a growing segment of the NDSU fanbase is at. Our history in DII and FCS have been a major part of the present and future and it shouldn't be looked down upon in anyway. It was part of the journey. But now it is time to move the athletic department onto the next phase. Sometimes it is difficult to express that sentiment without it coming off as disparaging towards the present and the past. The story of NDSU football particularly is compelling because of the path that we have taken. We can celebrate that and still acknowledge that it is time to move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    What function would a G5 playoff serve? The "best" G5 team won't even be there.
    I think he is expressing a desire for the CFP to only include the P5 and for the G5 to have their own playoff infrastructure, in which case the best G5 would no longer be a part of the CFP.