Page 823 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 3237237738138218228238248258338739231323 ... LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,230 of 13491

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I'm just as close to UMass as I am NDSU and there is only one school west of me in the MAC. The mass of the MAC is closer to Amherst than Fargo and distance was a factor in that experience.
    You must kill on geography categories on Jeopardy!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Am...nce#/maplink/0

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Your AD doesn't?

And you have no SoundCloud account to FFWD to where Chaves (rhymes with Blackhawk captain Toews) says, " ... and quite frankly it's an FBS facility."

No podcast, no (free) SoundCloud account, ... lemme guess, if they made you OC you'd run the veer.
    Spotify homie. Soundcloud's system is junk. From my understanding, I was probably about 2 years old the last time NDSU ran the veer (born in '92). But don't get it mistaken, if I'm OC we're absolutely running the veer.

I'm young enough to know that UND's AD is wasting his time if he thinks the Soundcloud podcast generation give 2 rips what he's talking about lol. And it's like an hour-plus long? He'd be better off with a TikTok.

Just do 5-10 minute radio interviews man, no one needs a filibuster
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Yes and no. It's somewhat of a perception issue. Based on the comments I've seen here is like people think of MAC schools as small directional schools beneath NDSU when in reality they are much bigger. Not B1G big but also not urban commuter campuses like IUPUI or UMKC.

The size does create more revenue as a school and a large alumni base but that doesn't automatically equate to more investment in athletics or interest from a larger student body or alumni base.

The surrounding population and close proximity were also key points of my comment. We are on the edge of this footprint but I know people who have gone to many of these schools and there is definitely crossover of geographies with 9 of the 12 schools being in Ohio or Michigan and most fitting in an area the size of North Dakota. Even when they are UMass and Temple for awhile, I'm just as close to UMass as I am NDSU and there is only one school west of me in the MAC. The mass of the MAC is closer to Amherst than Fargo and distance was a factor in that experience.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I've been saying it for months now when people ask why I push MW over MAC. Almost all MAC schools are bus trips currently. ALL schools in the MAC are a flight away for us. That would be a tough pill for them to swallow. Add in the fact that they're probably not going to enjoy the outcome of said flight, and what's really in it for them? The only plus I see is that it provides them more access to Minneapolis which right now has absolutely 0 MAC presence.

The MW is further away but they're already flying all over wazoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Just do 5-10 minute radio interviews man, no one needs a filibuster
    Guys that give $2.6M (like this week) want substance and conversation, not a TikTok one-hit.

You're not seein' it; you're missing the stogies and scotch Chaves and Heinert are enjoying during the recording.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    The only plus I see is that it provides them more access to Minneapolis which right now has absolutely 0 MAC presence.
    Given what they do have, is MSP even a thought to them.

It's not a factor in all conferences especially P5. But close proximity in the MAC specifically are a core benefit of their conference. If CUSA had the option to have a smaller footprint they would.

It's not an absolute show stopper but it's far from a non factor when it comes to the G5 conferences.

What about non revenue sports? Football and Basketball it doesn’t matter. It’s a big deal for non revenue sports

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Yes and no. It's somewhat of a perception issue. Based on the comments I've seen here is like people think of MAC schools as small directional schools beneath NDSU when in reality they are much bigger. Not B1G big but also not urban commuter campuses like IUPUI or UMKC.

The size does create more revenue as a school and a large alumni base but that doesn't automatically equate to more investment in athletics or interest from a larger student body or alumni base.

The surrounding population and close proximity were also key points of my comment. We are on the edge of this footprint but I know people who have gone to many of these schools and there is definitely crossover of geographies with 9 of the 12 schools being in Ohio or Michigan and most fitting in an area the size of North Dakota. Even when they are UMass and Temple for awhile, I'm just as close to UMass as I am NDSU and there is only one school west of me in the MAC. The mass of the MAC is closer to Amherst than Fargo and distance was a factor in that experience.

WKU and MTSU would be flights for most of the MAC and were reportedly invited as a pair. I understand the MAC asking that pair first but if it doesn't happen and the MAC does decide to expand the xDSU pair is nearly equivalent travel wise.

Our enrollment size isn't a plus to either the MAC or MWC, but the bigger problem is the trend. How would you feel if a conference candidate had falling enrollment every year since 2014? We're approaching a decade of anti-growth, which we need to fix asap for more reasons more than just athletics.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by B.Schlossman Fan Club View Post
    What about non revenue sports? Football and Basketball it doesn’t matter. It’s a big deal for non revenue sports
    Many of the non revenue sports don't have a conference schedule like football and basketball. Soccer and volleyball possibly. Track, golf, cross country, etc. don't. Baseball and softball already spend a lot of their time traveling south. But it would definitely have an impact on those non revenue sports and how the NDSU location makes it harder than App State, Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, James Madison, etc.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It's not a factor in all conferences especially P5. But close proximity in the MAC specifically are a core benefit of their conference. If CUSA had the option to have a smaller footprint they would.

It's not an absolute show stopper but it's far from a non factor when it comes to the G5 conferences.

Yep, pretty sure this is why all the rumored CUSA targets are in the Southeast ... Kennesaw, SFA, Tarleton, etc.
    Though I still think they hold at 9 schools for a while, the financials are better that way for them and they are tight on money.

Enough conference revenue can overcome the expenses side of travel, which is part of why MWC is the best answer. MWC may be the only G5 conference that can check all the boxes and have interest in NDSU.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Yep, pretty sure this is why all the rumored CUSA targets are in the Southeast ... Kennesaw, SFA, Tarleton, etc.
    Though I still think they hold at 9 schools for a while, the financials are better that way for them and they are tight on money.

Enough conference revenue can overcome the expenses side of travel, which is part of why MWC is the best answer. MWC may be the only G5 conference that can check all the boxes and have interest in NDSU.
    Based on conversations I had at the time NDSU moved to FCS there was much more interest in going east rather than west for conference affiliation. It's more in the recruiting and alumni footprint. It may have minimal impact on Minnesota recruits but a much bigger impact on the Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Omaha recruits. They would have to change to western states as a focus. It could be done and I expect NDSU would do it better than the UND Big Sky experiment. Different people and different financials involved now but some of the factors are still there.

I would be in favor of any FBS option. I think it's a good move for the university and would be fun to see the Bison compete with those teams. But I also really enjoy watching them excel at the FCS level. I'll support regardless.