Page 81 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283911311815811081 ... LastLast

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
    Great post.

Some things I am curious about:
    How the Longhorn Network plays into anyones desire of Texas and how it could skew possible TV deals for any potential moves for Texas, it has already ruined the potential for a Big12 network.
    Independants and their power...ok so only Notre Dame, but BYU thinks they are on the same level.
    With 80 top tier teams, a 4 or 8 team playoff is not going to make people happy, I think you are looking at something closer to a 20 team playoff that includes 20% of the teams, and covers game throughout December, filling ESPN Tv slots.
    Does the P5/G5 relationship stay the same scholarship # wise or do they try to introduce a wider gap. I would argue that you could keep the same # scholarships and introduce reasons for teams to move up/down such as not meeting minimum requirements, moving teams that have a sustained level of quality play up, ect ect...I think that opens up a system similar to what the euro sports leagues use.
    How does this shake out for FCS schools that A)don't fully fund FB and B)don't offer FB scholarships.
    I was posting at the same time as you. I believe if the P5 is going to break away, Texas is giving up the Longhorn network. It won't work if they go to the SEC and it won't work if the Big 12 is going to be included in the P5. Right now the Big 12 is against any expansion, which would lead to a conference playoff like the other conferences, because they would be forced to split the same amount with 2 or 4 more teams as they split with 10. This is all because they let the schools negotiate their own tier 3 deals, hence the Longhorn Network. If there was no Longhorn network, the entire conference would have another $120M or whatever the number is to split among 14 or 16 instead of the $100M among the 10 and Texas gets $15M extra on their own. Texas would give up like $2M-$3M a year in the short run to build the conference back into equal status with the other four P5 conferences. I don't know why this is an issue with them. They also have one of the largest endowments of any school in the nation. They don't even need the extra $2M. In the long run, being equal, they would probably get all of that back and not have the headache of negotiating their own TV deals every 6 or whatever years. And if they jump to the SEC, the network has to go away.

I think the scholarship question ends up kind of answering itself. You take the current FCS and not everyone wants to fund their football at the same level. Georgetown wants an exception to move to division 2 because they don't want to fund football at even a FCS level. The P5 is at whatever scholarship level they are at. The P5 is at 85, except the academies and only the academies. And then you have the 90 some schools left in FCS where they can go to whatever number they want to be at. If they want to be a mixture of scholarships and no scholarships, like they are now, that is their problem to work out. I do think the new G5 level needs to have a required number across the board and if you don't want to fund at that level, you have to drop.

Personally, I would like to see the P5 and G5 be at the same scholarship level. That way you are ensuring the talent pool is deep enough for both levels. If the P5 is at 100 and G5 at 70, for example, there will be more of the depth issues at the lower level. The splitting of the divisions should be providing more opportunities for student/athletes, not less. You provide those opportunities with maintaining a high level of competition throughout the top two levels. I have also liked the idea of having the move up/move down system like euro soccer, but that would be impossible to sell because of the commitment required of the schools in the first place would be argued as being too high. It would sure make recruiting interesting when you tell a kid you've built a program to move up next year so you should come here now instead of Nebraska, for example. There would also be an inverse relationship with schools moving down. Too much potential for meddling with programs to keep them at certain levels.

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Good thing there's others ranked higher then. Man that'd be fun.

You saw how stale the dome has become for the mvfc.

This team needs new blood
    Gladiators! Lotsa blood there!
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...?smid=tw-share

The Big 5 will not be like that for very long. The Big 12 is on shaky ground due to Texas and their own TV network. And the fact that SEC lusts after Oklahoma and Texas. IF Texas went to the SEC (SEC would renegotiate their contract with ESPN), it would have a domino effect. Oklahoma would join. Perhaps, West Virginia. Then the SEC needs Florida State for complete and utter world domination.

There will probably only be 5 to 8 football conferences in the FBS in the next 5 years. The only real guarantees are that the SEC, Big 10, and Pac 12 will be around. If Florida State joined the SEC, I believe the ACC is also on shaky ground.

marenlee is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Am I the only one who thinks the whole conference shakeup thing has died down? The P5 already voted to make their own rules and they will. It's a matter of whether or not everyone else can actually get up to their level. Most G5 schools cannot so there is no need for them to break away. The P5 is not excluding the G5 and give them a small piece of the pie for appeasement. The P5 can still make their buttloads of money, share a tiny fraction of it, and not completely exclude everyone else. No need to form their own division.

Quote Originally Posted by marenlee View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks the whole conference shakeup thing has died down? The P5 already voted to make their own rules and they will. It's a matter of whether or not everyone else can actually get up to their level. Most G5 schools cannot so there is no need for them to break away. The P5 is not excluding the G5 and give them a small piece of the pie for appeasement. The P5 can still make their buttloads of money, share a tiny fraction of it, and not completely exclude everyone else. No need to form their own division.
    I think they are just letting every catch their breath for a moment. It won't die down for long because the Big 10, the Big 12, and the ACC have to make sure the SEC and Pac 12 doesn't run away with everything. The SEC is just waiting to see what everyone else really wants to do and if they don't like what they see, they will start steam rolling everyone. Sure the P5 voted to make their own rules because everyone else wants to make sure they are attached to the SEC. Eventually, the Big 12 will be told what they have to do or they will be out. Strongman already made a good point about the ACC being held together by FSU and maybe just a couple of other schools, of which would fit very nicely in the SEC. Tell me a division with Florida, Florida State, Miami, and possibly Notre Dame wouldn't have a nice ring to it. There are a few other schools in the ACC that would work out quite nicely in the SEC to build up to four divisions. Syracuse, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, and Clemson to name a few. OU and Texas to the west and they just built their own division 4. Also, if you notice, there is already complaints the current playoffs will leave 2 P5 conferences with the SEC pretty much guaranteed 2 spots.

It won't be the SEC pushing for a P5 split, it will be the Big 10 and ACC. The Big 12 will have to fix their mess to be included which means Texas and OU have to dump their networks or leave. The Sooner network isn't as big as the Longhorn network, but it would have to go. If the P5 doesn't split and the Big 12 doesn't fix their mess, then it very soon become the P4. I think the silence is because before the SEC was the loudest voice and they got everything they wanted. Now the others will have to start pushing and well, yelling to be included. It all comes down to the moment when the Big 12 realizes they are not at the table anymore. The only reason they are not excluded now is the hope it can be salvaged.

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I think they are just letting every catch their breath for a moment. It won't die down for long because the Big 10, the Big 12, and the ACC have to make sure the SEC and Pac 12 doesn't run away with everything. The SEC is just waiting to see what everyone else really wants to do and if they don't like what they see, they will start steam rolling everyone. Sure the P5 voted to make their own rules because everyone else wants to make sure they are attached to the SEC. Eventually, the Big 12 will be told what they have to do or they will be out. Strongman already made a good point about the ACC being held together by FSU and maybe just a couple of other schools, of which would fit very nicely in the SEC. Tell me a division with Florida, Florida State, Miami, and possibly Notre Dame wouldn't have a nice ring to it. There are a few other schools in the ACC that would work out quite nicely in the SEC to build up to four divisions. Syracuse, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, and Clemson to name a few. OU and Texas to the west and they just built their own division 4. Also, if you notice, there is already complaints the current playoffs will leave 2 P5 conferences with the SEC pretty much guaranteed 2 spots.

It won't be the SEC pushing for a P5 split, it will be the Big 10 and ACC. The Big 12 will have to fix their mess to be included which means Texas and OU have to dump their networks or leave. The Sooner network isn't as big as the Longhorn network, but it would have to go. If the P5 doesn't split and the Big 12 doesn't fix their mess, then it very soon become the P4. I think the silence is because before the SEC was the loudest voice and they got everything they wanted. Now the others will have to start pushing and well, yelling to be included. It all comes down to the moment when the Big 12 realizes they are not at the table anymore. The only reason they are not excluded now is the hope it can be salvaged.
    I swear am not drinking. But if Big 12 and MWC folds, it opens the door for NDSU to possibly join the newly formed 16 team superconference that results. Kansas, Kansas State etc will need a conference. NDSU could be conditionally invited with new football stadium guarantee or expansion. Not a great chance but I'd say 30%.
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    I swear am not drinking. But if Big 12 and MWC folds, it opens the door for NDSU to possibly join the newly formed 16 team superconference that results. Kansas, Kansas State etc will need a conference. NDSU could be conditionally invited with new football stadium guarantee or expansion. Not a great chance but I'd say 30%.
    I
    Yeah, except the ace schools like Kansas have up their sleeve in all of this. Basketball.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

But Football is driving the conference expansions. The greatest basketball conference ever folded due to football conferences. And the SEC is not exactly a basketball conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    But Football is driving the conference expansions. The greatest basketball conference ever folded due to football conferences. And the SEC is not exactly a basketball conference.
    That is true.

Ok it is like having the Jack up their sleeve. Doesn't do a whole lot of good on its own, but in the right scenario it can get played to their favor.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I love watching football but this MAC shit is unwatchable. Rerun of Big Bang Theory for me.