Page 779 of 1363 FirstFirst ... 2796797297697777787797807817898298791279 ... LastLast
Results 7,781 to 7,790 of 13624

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    Those two wants may not be compatible. So which one do you want more?
    It's my opinion that they are compatible, and I want them both
    AmIright? Who the hell knows but I'll stick to my gut
    I don't have any say in this anyway, beyond supporting the school and program

Imagine still being in FCS when all of this plays out. Do I get excited about playing ISU (blue), WIU, YSU, etc? I sure don't.

And by the way, every time some positive development happens in FBS, some folks love to post and explain why we can't ever benefit from it and so we should be wary of joining FBS unless conditions are perfect. ("When lightening strikes in the same place three times and Europa crashes into Jupiter, then we can join FBS. See? I'm not FCS forever.") We had the BCS system, and people said we'd only get to play in the Toilet Bowl in Detroit. We'd have no shot at a NY6. Forget Boise, forget WMU. That doesn't apply to us. Then there was a 4-team playoff with early talk of expansion. We'd never have a shot at that and there's no way the P5 will let that get bigger to allow for G5s. If we want to play for national championships, we must stay FCS. Forget Cincinnati. Now it looks like there will be a 12-team playoff. But don't go to the one FBS conference that might take you. They suck and so they'll be booted from any chance at the playoff anyway. No team from CUSA will ever make it. Forget that the Sunbelt was the Sunbelch only a few years ago. Forget that a good FBS team will have a chance to prove itself in OOC. Forget that Liberty is joining the conference and was ranked #17 a couple years ago.

I wish we wouldn't keep listening to naysayers.
    People think I'm nuts when I say I fully believe our long-term goal (20-ish years) should be amongst our peers in the B12. Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, etc.

Academically, athletically, administratively.

We're already at or near the level of the western flagship land grants in the G5 level. NMSU, CSU, Nevada, Utah State. Enrollment will be difficult to match, but academics and endowment we're right there already...

I'm 30 and I would love to see us in a different peer group by the time I retire. Whatever it takes to get there. This is a long game for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

If people had held out for the MVFC (then called the Gateway) for us to jump from D2 to DI-AA we'd never have gotten an invite. That required the Great West Conference which justly died after serving as a logical stepping stone.

A lot of top programs in the CUSA will view it as the same in 5-10 years.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    People think I'm nuts when I say I fully believe our long-term goal (20-ish years) should be amongst our peers in the B12. Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, etc.

Academically, athletically, administratively.

We're already at or near the level of the western flagship land grants in the G5 level. NMSU, CSU, Nevada, Utah State. Enrollment will be difficult to match, but academics and endowment we're right there already...

I'm 30 and I would love to see us in a different peer group by the time I retire. Whatever it takes to get there. This is a long game for me.
    I don't think you're nuts. I agree with you 100% on this. Yours is an ambitious, but realistic, aspiration. I hope Cook shares it. The people who think you are nuts are probably the same ones who thought we should have stayed in our lane and not get into the Ph.D.-granting business, and certainly not leave the NCC in athletics. NDSU is an amazing institution that almost always overachieves. At some point, what constitutes overachievement is no longer overachievement, but just the standard expectation. I'm befuddled by people who underestimate NDSU's potential.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

You have an excellent football program and brand that would be an asset for any G5 conference..

Anyhoo, I will be popping out of here for now.

If there is some movement that is afoot that involves the MW or your school makes some move, I will come back around.

My only goal here has been to stick up for my mates and to comment on what I see as some misconceptions about the MW.

It is never easy but I do think you can get to your goals.

Good luck and good health ...

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    You have an excellent football program and brand that would be an asset for any G5 conference..

Anyhoo, I will be popping out of here for now.

If there is some movement that is afoot that involves the MW or your school makes some move, I will come back around.

My only goal here has been to stick up for my mates and to comment on what I see as some misconceptions about the MW.

It is never easy but I do think you can get to your goals.

Good luck and good health ...
    Sounds good and in the meantime we'll work on our bball program lol

Appreciate the input, MWC. Nevada is no longer an afterthought to me
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Imagine still being in FCS when all of this plays out. Do I get excited about playing ISU (blue), WIU, YSU, etc? I sure don't.

And by the way, every time some positive development happens in FBS, some folks love to post and explain why we can't ever benefit from it and so we should be wary of joining FBS unless conditions are perfect. ("When lightening strikes in the same place three times and Europa crashes into Jupiter, then we can join FBS. See? I'm not FCS forever.") We had the BCS system, and people said we'd only get to play in the Toilet Bowl in Detroit. We'd have no shot at a NY6. Forget Boise, forget WMU. That doesn't apply to us. Then there was a 4-team playoff with early talk of expansion. We'd never have a shot at that and there's no way the P5 will let that get bigger to allow for G5s. If we want to play for national championships, we must stay FCS. Forget Cincinnati. Now it looks like there will be a 12-team playoff. But don't go to the one FBS conference that might take you. They suck and so they'll be booted from any chance at the playoff anyway. No team from CUSA will ever make it. Forget that the Sunbelt was the Sunbelch only a few years ago. Forget that a good FBS team will have a chance to prove itself in OOC. Forget that Liberty is joining the conference and was ranked #17 a couple years ago.

I wish we wouldn't keep listening to naysayers.
    Do you think the AD and President are listening to fans posting on Bisonville?

Maybe I'm a naysayer. Maybe I think the scenarios you post are 99% unlikely to be remotely possible.

It shouldn't take a genius to figure out the MWC or even MAC at this point don't need or want NDSU. So if we're going FBS, its CUSA. Fine by me....just like this year's home schedule, going to save me plenty of trips to Fargo.

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    After 1 week of College Football.
    Where would you rank NDSU in the FBS??

I say #20 or #25..... what say you?
    Somewhere in the 40s perhaps. Along with the Jackrabbits of Brookings.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Hey, I'm all for ambition and I've said many times the various improvements we should prioritize. Thinking we're peers of the B12 is simply delusional. We're as far from them as VCSU is from us. At the institutional level our peers are the other Dakotas, Montanas, etc. Sorry, that's not small time thinking. It's being realistic and not trying to force us into something we will absolutely fail at.
    We'll never be in a power conference, but that doesn't mean we can't be FBS.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Hey, I'm all for ambition and I've said many times the various improvements we should prioritize. Thinking we're peers of the B12 is simply delusional. We're as far from them as VCSU is from us. At the institutional level our peers are the other Dakotas, Montanas, etc. Sorry, that's not small time thinking. It's being realistic and not trying to force us into something we will absolutely fail at.
    We'll never be in a power conference, but that doesn't mean we can't be FBS.
    I wouldn't say we are as far away from them as VCSU is to us. We are a smaller version of most of them. VCSU is not a smaller version of us. Heck, TCU isn't even R1 and they have fewer students than we do. They obviously do have a large endowment. But still...
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.