Page 770 of 1360 FirstFirst ... 2706707207607687697707717727808208701270 ... LastLast
Results 7,691 to 7,700 of 13598

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    If the MWC still thinks it's about media markets in 2022 maybe they aren't the conference we should be in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    You do know the MW is essentially an all sorts conference that plays football. Our tv deals don't come for football only. Those tv providers sell advertising for all those football and basketball games they show. That includes the streamers as well as the cable and broadcast tv. They sell based upon viewership. The MW tv deals are minor as is. Getting an occasional playoff slot doesn't overcome that. The conference simply can not look at things through a football prism alone. But, I agree, this may not be a conference NDSU should be pursuing.

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    You do know the MW is essentially an all sorts conference that plays football. Our tv deals don't come for football only. Those tv providers sell advertising for all those football and basketball games they show. That includes the streamers as well as the cable and broadcast tv. They sell based upon viewership. The MW tv deals are minor as is. Getting an occasional playoff slot doesn't overcome that. The conference simply can not look at things through a football prism alone. But, I agree, this may not be a conference NDSU should be pursuing.
    What I know:

1. Way too much about the intricacies of conference rules and media deal minutia. I mean years of this shit for EVERY conceivable conference and situation and why it is absolutely impossible to be a fit for a conference: and de facto the whole “highest competition opportunity thing”.

2. NDSU is decent at football and would robotic dominate Notre dame if those chickens would have the stones to schedule.

**And that covid took the Oregon game.**

I do know there are other sports than football. And I still stand by my statement. Any conference that thinks grabbing crappy teams in a big market is the way to go in this day and age is blind to the future.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Again, basketball is the focus. However the very best solution for the MW is to not add anybody. You have a fine football team but you aren't a difference maker. You also come from a small market so no add there.

I am agreeing with you..With what you are looking for, the MW is not right for NDSU at all..And more important, not much help to the MW..Just not a good fit all around..

BigHorns is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Again, basketball is the focus. However the very best solution for the MW is to not add anybody. You have a fine football team but you aren't a difference maker. You also come from a small market so no add there.

I am agreeing with you..With what you are looking for, the MW is not right for NDSU at all..And more important, not much help to the MW..Just not a good fit all around..
    You sure seem pretty intent on keeping us out.
    I see Nevada has Texas St and Incarnate Word on the schedule this year.

Would love to play Nevada a relegation football game.

I have no say either way. Mister Tailgater said that NDSU was not a good fit because the MW would like to be in larger markets. He believes that means the conference will die. He is correct as far as that plays for NDSU. If your calling card is football football football, moving to a basketball centric conference that has football is not at all in your best interests..The reason the MW would like to have some more big markets is primarily for basketball. That is where the conference can make hay. G5 football is not exactly the cash cow we would all like to see.

Like I said..If NDSU comes to the MW I will be supportive. Whether I think it is a good idea or not is irrelevant.

I have no say either way. Mister Tailgater said that NDSU was not a good fit because the MW would like to be in larger markets. He believes that means the conference will die. He is correct as far as that plays for NDSU. If your calling card is football football football, moving to a basketball centric conference that has football is not at all in your best interests..The reason the MW would like to have some more big markets is primarily for basketball. That is where the conference can make hay. G5 football is not exactly the cash cow we would all like to see.

Like I said..If NDSU comes to the MW I will be supportive. Whether I think it is a good idea or not is irrelevant.
    I think you are a great poster and you are always welcome here.

Personally, I've never been as enamored with the MWC as others on the board. I'd take an invite in a heartbeat, but it isn't a slam-dunk that we belong there. I think there is a significant CA mentality dominant in the MWC that I don't really care for. I personally wouldn't want to have to navigate playing teams from that state with all the travel boycotts BS and other stuff that comes out of there. Not to mention they are a bazillion miles away.

I actually think we are long-term better off going to something like the CUSA or the MAC and building a dynasty there. I do think if we ever do make it into FBS (and that looks less likely with each passing day given that this school's leadership has sat on its thumbs for years), it will probably be in the CUSA. If that happens, I think the MWC will come to regret that they could have had us at hello, but chose not to. And at that point, NDSU won't be looking at the MWC to improve our lot because we will either be doing fine where we are or are setting our sights higher than the MWC.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I think you are a great poster and you are always welcome here.

Personally, I've never been as enamored with the MWC as others on the board. I'd take an invite in a heartbeat, but it isn't a slam-dunk that we belong there. I think there is a significant CA mentality dominant in the MWC that I don't really care for. I personally wouldn't want to have to navigate playing teams from that state with all the travel boycotts BS and other stuff that comes out of there. Not to mention they are a bazillion miles away.

I actually think we are long-term better off going to something like the CUSA or the MAC and building a dynasty there. I do think if we ever do make it into FBS (and that looks less likely with each passing day given that this school's leadership has sat on its thumbs for years), it will probably be in the CUSA. If that happens, I think the MWC will come to regret that they could have had us at hello, but chose not to. And at that point, NDSU won't be looking at the MWC to improve our lot because we will either be doing fine where we are or are setting our sights higher than the MWC.
    How do you know the MW is "choosing" not to add you? Things change everyday but in 4 years there will be a new contract to negotiate..It is hard to just assume anything one way or the other these days..

As for the CA influence, every school has a vote but it should be noted that there is a school in Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming who have just as much influence..The Air force Academy is a massively respected member by every MW school. It is a good bunch..

How do you know the MW is "choosing" not to add you? Things change everyday but in 4 years there will be a new contract to negotiate..It is hard to just assume anything one way or the other these days..

As for the CA influence, every school has a vote but it should be noted that there is a school in Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming who have just as much influence..The Air force Academy is a massively respected member by every MW school. It is a good bunch..
    How do I know? Um, well...because we have not been added. The MWC could have invited us before the current media deal. They could have reasonably justified an invite to us at anytime over the past decade. I have no doubt that if we had been invited, we would have taken it. So, the choice has been the MWC's. If it isn't because of the MWC's choosing that we have not been invited, then who's choosing might it be?

It's fine that this has been the MWC's choice. You belong to a very conservative conference with regard to expansion. CT and the presidents are always holding tight. That's fine. I just think the MWC might regret that some day. I think a conference should have some imagination going into this new era of football. The MWC is like the investor who said "no" to Apple stock in the early 2000s and instead put all their money in govt bonds. You arent losing money, but you're not a mover and shaker either. I'm convinced that NDSU could be someone's Apple stock when it was $14 a share in 2002. Apple stock has since split multiple times and the stock has grown 130 times its original value. NDSU is a good investment. The casual investor sees a state with 760,000 people and thinks ho-hum. A visionary investor sees NDSU sitting on the border with Minnesota (a state of almost 6 million). The visionary investor realizes that NDSU is all over the Twin Cities (I counted 3 NDSU billboards this weekend down there) and is aware that half of NDSU's student body are Minnesotans. A visionary investor is aware that there is some national interest in NDSU's move up to the FBS among college football fans and that, at least for a time, that would pull in some eyeballs. MWC sees an FCS program from a small school in a small state and is playing it safe. I'm okay with that, because we probably belong in a different conference anyway. But I think it kind of reflects a lack of vision.
    Last edited by Professorbum; 09-05-2022 at 10:52 PM.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.