Page 765 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 2656657157557637647657667677758158651265 ... LastLast
Results 7,641 to 7,650 of 13493

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

I'll say it again. The new playoff format HAS to leave G5 conferences thinking about how to get stronger and less about media markets.

Adding a shitty team in CA or TX does nothing for your conferences chances of getting the one elusive auto bid.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    That's the death of bison football as we know it.

No media coverage/deal, crap opponents, and no CFP access will come out of that.
    Unless we just buy the damn conference and boot them all out.
    This just might work. But keep Liberty. They were ranked #17 in 2020.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I think they'd take UTEP for one. Possibly Texas State to pair with them. Or maybe try to pull Tulsa over. Even NMSU gets the nod before us. I know NMSU sucks in football, but they would help the conf in BB and be an easy partner for UTEP. I just don't think they will look to FCS unless they have no FBS options.

If they do dip into FCS, they'll pull MSU and U of M before us. Or maybe Idaho. Idaho is a state with a growing population. If they lose Boise, maybe Idaho (as a recent FBS school who begrudgingly dropped down to FCS) becomes more attractive if they promise to make some investments.

If the MWC was interested in the many positive things that NDSU could bring (winning tradition, positive revenue, national interest, strong fan support, solidly run athletics dept with fundraising ability, R1 university status), we'd already have been invited. But they are not. They are interested in mountains, and/or Texas, and/or Calif. That's it. That's what is important to them.
    I’d argue the opposite. If they wanted UTEP and NMSU, they would’ve already offered THEM. Lord knows they’ve had a million chances to do so. They are the schools who have been sitting there with their hands in their pockets waiting for an invite that has never come after what like 15 years? They average like 5k fans at a football game.

This is the first time in our history that we’ve had high FBS facilities. I could argue that we’ve never actually had a shot until now. All we need is an opening.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I'll say it again. The new playoff format HAS to leave G5 conferences thinking about how to get stronger and less about media markets.

Adding a shitty team in CA or TX does nothing for your conferences chances of getting the one elusive auto bid.

I agree. But no one in my lifetime has ever accused the MWC of having any imagination whatsoever. They never, ever imagine what could be.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

I think they'd take UTEP for one. Possibly Texas State to pair with them. Or maybe try to pull Tulsa over. Even NMSU gets the nod before us. I know NMSU sucks in football, but they would help the conf in BB and be an easy partner for UTEP. I just don't think they will look to FCS unless they have no FBS options.

If they do dip into FCS, they'll pull MSU and U of M before us. Or maybe Idaho. Idaho is a state with a growing population. If they lose Boise, maybe Idaho (as a recent FBS school who begrudgingly dropped down to FCS) becomes more attractive if they promise to make some investments.

If the MWC was interested in the many positive things that NDSU could bring (winning tradition, positive revenue, national interest, strong fan support, solidly run athletics dept with fundraising ability, R1 university status), we'd already have been invited. But they are not. They are interested in mountains, and/or Texas, and/or Calif. That's it. That's what is important to them.
    None of us know what the MW is or isn't interested in. Thompson has no power or a vote. The decisions are made by the executive board and voted on by the full membership. League presidents decide everything and that is fluid with presidents coming and going.

We do know the tv providers told the MW they would not increase the payout to cover new members. We do know the deal runs for 4 more years.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post

Yes, I think you are correct, and FB only could become more viable in the 12-team model. With 4 teams in the "playoff", all the talent gravitates to 4 teams. We'll see if going to 12 breaks that up

Speaking of the MWC, Boise didn't look so great against the Beavers last night, and the Aztecs didn't look so great either ... first game of the season. We'll see

I also thought the MVFC didn't look so great. Bison and Jacks looked the best, and even they had warts. Maybe Air Force is legit this year, who knows. Yotes got shut out I believe, and Nebraska's sideline oozes major disfunction ... why I'm not a fan of bringing the home-town hero back to coach. Need to coach with your brain, not your emotions. Frost seems to have a hard time with that at Nebraska

There are only 2-3 teams in the MVFC that should even be in the conversation, so all this talk of the MVFC jumping up makes no sense. Why would the state of ND invest in taking the Bison to the next level, and then shoot themselves in the foot by investing even more to bring along an anchor? Sorry, it's just logic. Too many of you are D2 Midco homers, and I mean that in a nice friendly way, not the assholian way it comes off ...

I agree. But no one in my lifetime has ever accused the MWC of having any imagination whatsoever. They never, ever imagine what could be.
    I think the only way the MW would add is to get bigger media markets..There is not a lot of those available.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    None of us know what the MW is or isn't interested in. Thompson has no power or a vote. The decisions are made by the executive board and voted on by the full membership. League presidents decide everything and that is fluid with presidents coming and going.

We do know the tv providers told the MW they would not increase the payout to cover new members. We do know the deal runs for 4 more years.
    That's rather surprising given other conferences are getting more when they add members.
    (Well, outside cusa who basically doesn't have anything)

Would have to think that payout statement was conditional on who they wanted to add.
    If MWC adds Washington and Oregon, no way they wouldn't ante up for that. It would pay for itself with viewers.
    NMSU and UTEP would be different of course.

NDSU is probably somewhere between those two extremes in media value.

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    So you're back to the same tired argument. The good conferences don't want us and you don't want a weak conference. That leaves FCS Forever for you, since according to you there's no other path.

You can always know with you, it will the same point of view every time.
    I said CUSA. Because RIGHT NOW, NDSU adds nothing to MWC. Say it out loud to yourself.

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Herder has said on his podcast that UC-Davis has to be in the top of the FCS discussions. Geography, enrollment, money....etc