Page 720 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 2206206707107187197207217227307708201220 ... LastLast
Results 7,191 to 7,200 of 13496

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    As for Lurker's point, I believe this is fallout from the 1910's-20's political interference that caused NDSU to lose accreditation and the first ever recall of a state governor.
    More details on the bolded please. I'm not from ND originally

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    I certainly wasn't alive for it and I don't offhand know a whole lot other than it happened. Definitely a big mess.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Bill Connelly
    @ESPN_BillC

in regards to NDSU "You make your intentions known, and then you get invited. There is almost certainly at LEAST one conference that would send out an invitation if it was told the invitation would be accepted"

DING DING DING we have a WINNER and its from an ESPN writer
    Well that conference is almost certainly CUSA, and I would guess our admin would almost certainly not accept it. Therefore we haven't seen it.

MAC or Mountain West? All day every day. Our admin had BETTER have let our consultants let those conferences' consultants know that we're interested...
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Consolidation and pooling of resources, instead of having 9 mediocre non-universities we should have 3 outstanding ones...

Not to mention the hypocrisy of super conservative ND lawmakers who 1) Hate gov't waste and 2) Hate spending money on higher-ed, breaking their necks to keep zombie schools open on the public dime
    I dont see it as hypocritical. Conservatism's central tenet is status quo. Those schools at all small, but the state constitution provides for them.

Those schools are also great for the communities they are in. Amending the constitution to eliminate those schools sounds unpopular. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'd be fine closing them or folding them into whoever. Just have a hunch that it wouldn't be popular. Its really easy as a conservative lawmaker in ND to justify those schools.

I think the idea of turning them into subsidiaries of NDSU and UND is more believable. Anyone have an idea of how much money that would save?

This all could have been dealt with about 140 years ago if they had just made UND, plopped it down in Bismarck, Fargo, or Grand Forks and given them the land-grant. Pump out a couple JC/tech schools and voila! North Dakota would have about 30 SEC championships
    College of Business Alumnus

How does he know at least one conference would send an invite? Using his logic I should have asked all of Charlie's angels to my Jr. High dances and almost certainly one of them would have accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Bill Connelly
    @ESPN_BillC

in regards to NDSU "You make your intentions known, and then you get invited. There is almost certainly at LEAST one conference that would send out an invitation if it was told the invitation would be accepted"

DING DING DING we have a WINNER and its from an ESPN writer
    It's OK to not be OK.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    https://www.dl-online.com/news/highe...-purge-in-1937
    see if this link works for you. Gives a synopsis of what happened.

Well that conference is almost certainly CUSA, and I would guess our admin would almost certainly not accept it. Therefore we haven't seen it.

MAC or Mountain West? All day every day. Our admin had BETTER have let our consultants let those conferences' consultants know that we're interested...
    I get why many don't agree with me on this, but you take the CUSA invite if it is there. Football-only if possible. Then you make the conference something decent and interesting. A conference with NDSU, Liberty, UTEP, WKU, and MTSU is inherently more interesting than any FCS conference, including the MVFC. TAKE THE INVITE and begin our FBS journey. The publicity we would get would be huge. JMU has been getting some good write-ups as a new SBC member. We'd have 10 times the coverage. Our move to FBS--even if settling for a less preferable conference--would be a major college sports story and people would tune it to see how it plays out and to see if we really are ready for the next level. Do it, President Cook. Even ESPN gets it.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I get why many don't agree with me on this, but you take the CUSA invite if it is there. Football-only if possible. Then you make the conference something decent and interesting. A conference with NDSU, Liberty, UTEP, WKU, and MTSU is inherently more interesting than any FCS conference, including the MVFC. TAKE THE INVITE and begin our FBS journey. The publicity we would get would be huge. JMU has been getting some good write-ups as a new SBC member. We'd have 10 times the coverage. Our move to FBS--even if settling for a less preferable conference--would be a major college sports story and people would tune it to see how it plays out and to see if we really are ready for the next level. Do it, President Cook. Even ESPN gets it.
    They need a media contract. They need to show a plan that shows viability beyond 2 years. They need a vision. We'd have 44 more scholarships to fund, 44 more FCOA we'd need to fund, and we'd likely end up losing TV revenue by moving to CUSA. Every school is looking to jump outta that conference the first chance they get. I honestly think it would look better to an FBS conference as a MVFC that has rejected CUSA.

We jump to CUSA:

Best case, we jump to a good G5 conference (no different than now). Worst case, CUSA folds and we come limping back to FCS with a ruined brand and hope MVFC takes us back.

We have a lot to lose and not a lot to gain from jumping...
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    https://www.dl-online.com/news/highe...-purge-in-1937
    see if this link works for you. Gives a synopsis of what happened.
    I see. Politics indeed, although it's unclear what motivated "Wild Bill" Langer to take a sword to NDSU. That part seems forever buried in history ...

So in a nutshell, the constitution was amended to protect NDSU from Bismarck. Seem accurate?

Thanks

They need a media contract. They need to show a plan that shows viability beyond 2 years. They need a vision. We'd have 44 more scholarships to fund, 44 more FCOA we'd need to fund, and we'd likely end up losing TV revenue by moving to CUSA. Every school is looking to jump outta that conference the first chance they get. I honestly think it would look better to an FBS conference as a MVFC that has rejected CUSA.

We jump to CUSA:

Best case, we jump to a good G5 conference (no different than now). Worst case, CUSA folds and we come limping back to FCS with a ruined brand and hope MVFC takes us back.

We have a lot to lose and not a lot to gain from jumping...
    I was gonna say. It's major paycut to go to CUSA as it stands now. You'd do some irreversible damage with that

Anyone garner anything of value from Connelly today? I had too much going on to pay attention