Page 687 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 1875876376776856866876886896977377871187 ... LastLast
Results 6,861 to 6,870 of 13487

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    If it's not a luxury market, why are kids and their parents taking out six-figure loans for certain schools when they could get the same (or nearly the same) utility from a much cheaper school? It's because of the brand and ability to show off that you went to the big impressive university. It's like buying a porsche just because you need a car to get to work.

Visibility and branding are massive pieces of the higher education equation. I could be wrong but I think being MW or MAC really helps that.
    For Michigan, sure, but Central Michigan?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    For Michigan, sure, but Central Michigan?
    When you’re trying to convince in-state students to spend more than $25k per year to attend your university, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Sounds like Herder is slowly coming around

Yeah, luxury item isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when I think of directional Michigan. Look I’m not going to pretend it isn’t a real world improvement, but if what we’re talking about is respect or branding let’s get real, it’s not moving the needle for a ton of people.
    Yeah I dont know how much added value one gets from attending a Michigan Directional vs. Northern Arizona.

Outside of a few occupations, idk how much the name on the diploma really means.
    College of Business Alumnus

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Yeah I dont know how much added value one gets from attending a Michigan Directional vs. Northern Arizona.

Outside of a few occupations, idk how much the name on the diploma really means.

At that level, the bigger difference is how connected they are to businesses for internships, recruiting and career placement.
    After the first couple jobs, there won't be any difference for sure. If you live in Arizona, NAU may even have the edge.

You know I have bagged on larson harder than anyone. But he is steering the ship prettty darned well and I appreciate that for sure.

Really- how prepared are we for a move that is GOOD for NDSU, and how they are perceived entering any conference or the FBS as a whole.

Like anything NDSU pretty confident they’re is gonna be SOME learning curve…. Then BAM! Wtfo everyone. NDSU wants the max number of CHAMPIONSHIP trophies in EVERY DIVISION THEY WILL EVER PLAY IN.

Mark it down bros.

Oh, and look at this…. At least NDSU commands similar colors between sports from the AD…

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Exactly, but also when you say "let $$ dictate the move" people shouldn't stop the analysis at benefits to the athletic department. The reasons I want NDSU to be with peer state flagship land grant schools in the MW go far beyond just the athletics department.

I want NDSU to be the hands-down premier university inside the circle formed Minneapolis, Ames, Lincoln and Boise. Branding is huge for that to happen.
    Well there's the one issue, once again, about MW not needing or wanting NDSU at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    Well there's the one issue, once again, about MW not needing or wanting NDSU at the moment.
    And once again, this is no news to anyone outside of lakes. And he refuses to hear it anyways.

The whole point of this thread is a discussion on what we should be doing to make sure we’re ready when they do start looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Yeah, luxury item isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when I think of directional Michigan. Look I’m not going to pretend it isn’t a real world improvement, but if what we’re talking about is respect or branding let’s get real, it’s not moving the needle for a ton of people.
    False...I guarantee you that my Ag degree has more perceived value now then it did when I earned it. Beating K-State and Iowa State was a big part of that extra "recognition." The move to FCS wasn't a game changer necessarily but I promise it changed my peers opinion of NDSU, especially those in living the midwest. A successful move to FBS would likely extend that reach farther. I'm not saying this needs to be a factor when deciding whether we should move to FBS, but the additional recognition from moving up was real.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    False...I guarantee you that my Ag degree has more perceived value now then it did when I earned it. Beating K-State and Iowa State was a big part of that extra "recognition." The move to FCS wasn't a game changer necessarily but I promise it changed my peers opinion of NDSU, especially those in living the midwest. A successful move to FBS would likely extend that reach farther. I'm not saying this needs to be a factor when deciding whether we should move to FBS, but the additional recognition from moving up was real.
    Does a degree from Alabama in any field carry more weight than a degree from Nebraska to anyone outside of Alabama?
    It's OK to not be OK.