Page 68 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970781181685681068 ... LastLast

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Anybody who looks at the first rating from last night can see that who you BEAT is more important than any close losses (see where Notre Dame is). In an expanded playoff format that fact will not change. What that means is that the power conference teams with a shot at the payoff will NOT PLAY the G5 type programs. And, it has nothing to do with being afraid of losing. It's because WINNING WON'T HELP THEM. So the Boise State's, NIU, etc won't be able to schedule the games they need to win to get into a playoff. Oh, and the 2 SEC teams in the top 4 play each other on Saturday. One will then be eliminated from consideration. It's theoretically possible that 2 could eventually make the final 4 (if it's Georgia and a team from the SEC West) but not all that likely.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Ok let's assume best case and they expand and the little guys get a shot. How well does the NDSU fanbase accept a shot at the playoffs 1 out of maybe 4 yrs with no chance in winning a title? The spike in season ticket sales didn't happen until we made the playoff run. Will the fans be interested?

You mean like currently in men's basketball??????????

If the standard to be in Division I is that we need to win national titles, then seriously why did NDSU move up???????????????????? Will we ever win a national title in basketball, wrestling, track, softball, baseball, soccer, etc.?

Per your criteria, 80% of the teams in the Big 5 conferences should move down to FCS because they have NO CHANCE TO EVER WIN A NATIONAL TITLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post

If the standard to be in Division I is that we need to win national titles, then seriously why did NDSU move up????????????????????

Per your criteria, 80% of the teams in the Big 5 conferences should move down to FCS because they have NO CHANCE TO EVER WIN A NATIONAL TITLE.
    Are you saying there is HUGE interest in Men's basketball? Every year, regardless of record?

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    spot on... spot on. This playoff thing will be to 16 in 2-3 years and NDSU has to be in it!!

You want to shock the dam world, join the mountain west, mac or sunbelt. Go 10-1 & get the #15 seed and play kansas state and beat them in the 1st round.
    never going to happen. You're absolutely delusional.

marenlee is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post
    never going to happen. You're absolutely delusional.
    There will be no need for more than 8. Each P5 conference champion will get their slot. And 3 at larges. BEST CASE scenario would be the best of the G5 would get one spot.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by marenlee View Post
    There will be no need for more than 8. Each P5 conference champion will get their slot. And 3 at larges. BEST CASE scenario would be the best of the G5 would get one spot.
    I'm not saying it will never be 16, but 3 years is crazy talk.

LMAO. That is the most naive post I have seen in the past 12 months. Nobody ever breaks or renegotiates a contract when it comes to college football: neither coaches, AD, schools, TV networks, etc. This is especially true when BILLIONS OF DOLLARS ARE AT STAKE.

Last month, ESPN already had an article that schools want expansion to 8 teams asap. With 2 or 3 SEC teams in the playoffs--it's a virtually certainty that the playoffs will be expanded to 8 within a year or two to eradicate the perceived SEC bias.

I HATE TO MAKE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS SAID NO TV EXECUTIVE EVER. Each extra playoff game is millions of dollars in revenue. Let's see, more shit bowls in El Paso and Boise where the TV ratings suck? Or additional playoff games. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that playoff expansion is going to happen.
    Did they break the contract with the BCS...nope....and how many times did that not give a legit look at who should be national champs....yea...call me naive if you want, but when it comes to where NDSU stands in the heap of the pile you are El Chapo are way beyond insane in where you see us fitting and how a winning season would help us.

Look for example where Boise sits now, I know they aren't the media darlings anymore, but listen to ESPN radio, watch highlights on TV, don't see much Boise anymore. Northern Illinois didn't even last past 1 season. Being a media darling and competing with the schools that have played at this level for ever are 2 completely different things. This thread has moved past the move to FBS and has gone to the Clinically Insane.
    Last edited by missingnumber7; 10-30-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Meant BCS not FBS

marenlee is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post
    I'm not saying it will never be 16, but 3 years is crazy talk.
    I think I made a confusing quote . I was agreeing with you and tried to make a rational prediction.

If the standard to be in Division I is that we need to win national titles, then seriously why did NDSU move up???????????????????? Will we ever win a national title in basketball, wrestling, track, softball, baseball, soccer, etc.?

NDSU is a football school. Trying to throw in all of the no revenue sports in to the pot is nothing more than trying to cloud the issue with apples vs oranges comparison.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Again this specific 4 team playoffs was created by the p5 for the p5 and no g5 conference team will ever make it. You can tout 8-16 teams playoffs but until they happen then I will believe it. As I stated only way a g5 makes FOUR team playoff is if they managed to win multiple ooc games against top tier P5 teams (never going to happen no top tier p5 is going to risk a loss to a good g5 team. And the G5 team would not have any home ooc games.

Could it go to 8 or 16??? Yup but don't think it will unless p5 breaks away. Then you're in lower half of FBS upper half of FCS division and pretty sure some of you will not be content either.

I'm for a move up if there is a legitimate playoff and we have the financial backing to make it worthwhile. Pretty sure people a lot smarter than us know how much more money will be coming in and how much more will be going out. That is problem #1B to this whole idea of moving up. 1a is getting a conference invite.
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.