Page 674 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 1745746246646726736746756766847247741174 ... LastLast
Results 6,731 to 6,740 of 13496

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Here's a thought. If the Big 10 or Big 12 is cool with being coast to coast, why wouldn't the PAC 12 do the same? They have just as much ability to cherry pick teams
    Anything is possible these days, but IMO the PAC has recently become the worst P5 conference. Nobody is leaving B1G, Big12, or SEC to PAC. If someone does break the ACC's GOR it won't be to join PAC. There aren't a whole lot of G5 options if they want to stick with AAU programs, and if academics no longer matter then there's not much reason not to offer MWC schools first.
    Another thing I was looking at, remember how the Summit had to get a waiver for a year because we dropped below the sponsored sports minimum? PAC's already lost Men's soccer, swimming and Women's lacrosse, and if Stanford leaves they also lose wrestling and Women's swimming. Plus being on the ragged edge of several other sports if others leave. MWC schools on average sponsor fewer sports so they can't do a 1 for 1 replacement.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Some talk here from coaches about FBS reorg:
    https://herosports.com/fcs-football-...-coaches-bzbz/

“I think there are dominos above us that have to fall to dictate that. Having coached at the G5 level and the FCS, is there a level where it takes the top of FCS and the bottom of even the Power Five along with the Group of Five, does that exist in the future? I think there will be, whatever the number is between 40-60, teams at the top. And then is there a bit of reshuffling to say who wants to be a part of this next level? The second level of football, which I would say now is the Group of Five, and we’re really the third level of D1 football. Is that second level of football, can that level compete for a championship much like we do now? Does that take some FCS teams up to that? I really think that future could be reality.”

Maybe when this all shakes out MVFC and Big Sky become part of the 2nd tier, which is where we fit best. We don't have the same resources as Alabama, OSU, Michigan, etc and likely won't in this lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by EP NDSU Fan View Post
    How much cash could actually be involved from the NCAA and CFP per team? My thought above was that it was near zero because the independents would take break-even money if it was out there. Or maybe they just take the paydays from the non conference beat downs from the Big10 in the early fall and then the SEC in the late fall.

Also Judy is a fool if she thinks a 4th tier Texas league is a good idea. SEC, Big 12, AAC, then CUSA good call.

On streaming, you need one of YouTube, Amazon, or Apple and you don’t do it for money you do it for exposure and stream quality. The CAA stuff is awful, I think flosports is still trying to hit my Amex from the Delaware game.
    Actually, it already looks like SHSU is going down the path of signing up for beatdowns and scheduling payday games. Some of the poor schools in the MAC like Kent St do this also, and have very few home games OOC.

Not sure people understand just how poor CUSA is at this point, and how badly that will impact them.
    They will likely jump for a captive portal like Flo if it nets them 100k or so per team.
    The Flo model is to take your fanbase hostage and charge $20/month. The problem is it kills all outside exposure.

CUSA is becoming financially desperate. I don't know how long those schools survive as FBS.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Actually, it already looks like SHSU is going down the path of signing up for beatdowns and scheduling payday games. Some of the poor schools in the MAC like Kent St do this also, and have very few home games OOC.

Not sure people understand just how poor CUSA is at this point, and how badly that will impact them.
    They will likely jump for a captive portal like Flo if it nets them 100k or so per team.
    The Flo model is to take your fanbase hostage and charge $20/month. The problem is it kills all outside exposure.

CUSA is becoming financially desperate. I don't know how long those schools survive as FBS.
    I think the thought process is as follows for the FBS at ANY cost crowd:

1. Get into any conference that is FBS
    2. Be at the top of said conference
    3. Wait for conference to implode
    4. Hope that other conferences scoop us up

The first 3 things are probably the easy part to predict. #4 is the hardest to guarantee, especially if we're not instantly a top 2 team in that FBS conference and/or if recruiting falls off since we're no longer competing for championships.

I think you can get away with not competing for national championships if you're a MWC/Sunbelt team and still bring in the recruits. I'm not sure that is the case for MAC/AAC/CUSA going forward. I think many kids will pick a championship competing FCS team over a good/mediocre G5 team in a crap conference.

Now, a dominant team in any of those conferences always has a shot, and I think short term it doesn't hurt recruiting, but the goal has to be to be in the best G5 conference that will take you within 5 years of moving to a lower level G5. Good luck getting a G5 to send an invite if that is your (obvious, even if not publicly stated) intent.

I'm 100% on board with a G5 jump, but it has to make sense as well. MWC would be ideal, but things need to happen to shakeup their structure first.

Quote Originally Posted by tjamz View Post
    I think the thought process is as follows for the FBS at ANY cost crowd:

1. Get into any conference that is FBS
    2. Be at the top of said conference
    3. Wait for conference to implode
    4. Hope that other conferences scoop us up

The first 3 things are probably the easy part to predict. #4 is the hardest to guarantee, especially if we're not instantly a top 2 team in that FBS conference and/or if recruiting falls off since we're no longer competing for championships.

I think you can get away with not competing for national championships if you're a MWC/Sunbelt team and still bring in the recruits. I'm not sure that is the case for MAC/AAC/CUSA going forward. I think many kids will pick a championship competing FCS team over a good/mediocre G5 team in a crap conference.

Now, a dominant team in any of those conferences always has a shot, and I think short term it doesn't hurt recruiting, but the goal has to be to be in the best G5 conference that will take you within 5 years of moving to a lower level G5. Good luck getting a G5 to send an invite if that is your (obvious, even if not publicly stated) intent.

I'm 100% on board with a G5 jump, but it has to make sense as well. MWC would be ideal, but things need to happen to shakeup their structure first.
    A conference with NDSU, Liberty, UTEP, MTSU and WKU sounds pretty good and doesn't have to implode. It fact, it sounds decent in basketball too when you include NMSU. I think it would be fun to be a part of making that conference respectable again. But regardless, MWC sees itself as a conference that doesn't invite FCS calls ups. It just doesn't. So we have to be FBS if we want that to happen. I'm okay with independent as a temporary fix, but none of you think that's a good idea. That leaves CUSA. I actually think NDSU's presence in CUSA could help it get a better media deal because NDSU does attract some national interest--especially if we move up. People want to see us move up and would tune in to see how we're doing in FBS.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I suspect it is the lack of academic peers available or at least high end schools. Who they gonna grab? Tulsa? Tulane?
    No i was thinking a little bigger like Clemson, Miami, Florida State. Their TV deal is amongst the worst and the Pac 12 expires sooner

Academic peers is now a delusional wish list

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    A conference with NDSU, Liberty, UTEP, MTSU and WKU sounds pretty good and doesn't have to implode. It fact, it sounds decent in basketball too when you include NMSU. I think it would be fun to be a part of making that conference respectable again. But regardless, MWC sees itself as a conference that doesn't invite FCS calls ups. It just doesn't. So we have to be FBS if we want that to happen. I'm okay with independent as a temporary fix, but none of you think that's a good idea. That leaves CUSA. I actually think NDSU's presence in CUSA could help it get a better media deal because NDSU does attract some national interest--especially if we move up. People want to see us move up and would tune in to see how we're doing in FBS.
    The thing is 3 of those 4 are halfway out the door, and could be gone before we play a game.
    WKU is likely MAC, MTSU wants to cash out exit fees and go AAC. UTEP could be a MWC candidate. And even Liberty would prefer SBC if they could get in.

Who IS likely to remain in the conference is SHSU, FIU, JSU, NMSU.
    Those programs are bottom of the bucket in every way, and they want to add SFA and Tarleton if anyone leaves.

Even with NDSU, I don't see those programs landing a big media deal. None of the networks are even nibbling.
    There are reasons 9 schools left and others want out. Its a total train wreck conference.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    The thing is 3 of those 4 are halfway out the door, and could be gone before we play a game.
    WKU is likely MAC, MTSU wants to cash out exit fees and go AAC. UTEP could be a MWC candidate. And even Liberty would prefer SBC if they could get in.

Who IS likely to remain in the conference is SHSU, FIU, JSU, NMSU.
    Those programs are bottom of the bucket in every way, and they want to add SFA and Tarleton if anyone leaves.

Even with NDSU, I don't see those programs landing a big media deal. None of the networks are even nibbling.
    There are reasons 9 schools left and others want out. Its a total train wreck conference.
    That's, at best, a middle FCS conference

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Two days ago I guess. Sheesh ... A guy goes into the woods for a couple days and loses all track of time.

I'm guessing he didn't say anything too revealing, or you guys would be talking about it on here
    ML has always danced about fbs because he has zero vision
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    ML has always danced about fbs because he has zero vision
    Nd eye clinic bro.

Lardsin must go!