Page 663 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 1635636136536616626636646656737137631163 ... LastLast
Results 6,621 to 6,630 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I kept reading and Texas Tech is doing an NIL deal for 25k for every football player plus 15 walk ons. So they basically upped the number of scholarships from 85-100. The future of college football is looking gross. If you think the stipend is a big deal, look out. I predict within a few years the SEC will get a guarantee of 200 grand per player including scout team. There wont be any talent left over and they will legally bribe transfers.

On the flipside nothing is stopping us but its not going to be fair. What happens when we sign a similar deal for 5 grand per player? A business owning fan/donor says ill drop $425k and you can give it to 85 players to appear in a commercial or wear a patch. We just upped our scholarships to FBS level. 5 grand is like a half scholarship in reciprocity states. 22 walk ons could spend it on half tuition. The 1/2 scholarships could turn it into a full. The full now has an extra 5 grand plus FCOA. Heck some business who are fans could start an advertising endowment program. You think Gate City, Scheels or Bell wouldnt jump on that?
    I think it'll settle down after donors get burnt a few times.

"That kid i gave tens of thousands? He just threw 4 picks against Tulsa. Fuck this."
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I think it'll settle down after donors get burnt a few times.

"That kid i gave tens of thousands? He just threw 4 picks against Tulsa. Fuck this."
    Because these people got to where they are by not understanding how risk and reward work?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I guess I just don’t see where there’s a problem with any of this or what it ruins. Just about every sport on the planet has had to cope with the transition from amateurism to professionalism in the last 150 years, which ones are worse for paying their players what they’re worth?
    How many of those sports had fan bases who appreciate the amateurism of the sport and how many of those sports were directly subsidized using money for higher education? How many of those sports that went on to be a successful minor league program for a higher level of athletics?

Any fan that only cares about teams' ability to put a ball in a hoop or cross it over a line are already watching the NBA or NFL instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    How many of those sports had fan bases who appreciate the amateurism of the sport and how many of those sports were directly subsidized using money for higher education? How many of those sports that went on to be a successful minor league program for a higher level of athletics?
    All of them had a portion of the fan base that appreciated amateurism. But the people who appreciated the amateurism the most were the ones getting paid instead of the players.

why are we subsidizing semi pro sports with education dollars in the first place?

why are we kidding ourselves about college football being something other than a developmental league now?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Because these people got to where they are by not understanding how risk and reward work?
    Some/many/most. Yes.

Wouldn't be shocked if some get caught up in it a bit.
    College of Business Alumnus

I kept reading and Texas Tech is doing an NIL deal for 25k for every football player plus 15 walk ons. So they basically upped the number of scholarships from 85-100. The future of college football is looking gross. If you think the stipend is a big deal, look out. I predict within a few years the SEC will get a guarantee of 200 grand per player including scout team. There wont be any talent left over and they will legally bribe transfers.

On the flipside nothing is stopping us but its not going to be fair. What happens when we sign a similar deal for 5 grand per player? A business owning fan/donor says ill drop $425k and you can give it to 85 players to appear in a commercial or wear a patch. We just upped our scholarships to FBS level. 5 grand is like a half scholarship in reciprocity states. 22 walk ons could spend it on half tuition. The 1/2 scholarships could turn it into a full. The full now has an extra 5 grand plus FCOA. Heck some business who are fans could start an advertising endowment program. You think Gate City, Scheels or Bell wouldnt jump on that?
    5k per athlete would be top in the FCS if not the G5 but the problem is we are still at the second tier of college football. What I don’t like about NIL is we are never going to be able to compete with the P5 when it comes down competing for recruits. If teams are offering 25k and we are only 5k how are we going to compete? How are we going to be able to hold on to another Trey Lance when any future player with that talent would be turning down big money just to stay at NDSU. I really hate to see what happens to college athletics in the future

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by B.Schlossman Fan Club View Post
    5k per athlete would be top in the FCS if not the G5 but the problem is we are still at the second tier of college football. What I don’t like about NIL is we are never going to be able to compete with the P5 when it comes down competing for recruits. If teams are offering 25k and we are only 5k how are we going to compete? How are we going to be able to hold on to another Trey Lance when any future player with that talent would be turning down big money just to stay at NDSU. I really hate to see what happens to college athletics in the future
    Unfortunately, I don't think any of the P5 power conferences want "parity" or will allow it. This is the way the hierarchy will be maintained. If a team like Boise or Houston has a star QB, Texas or OSU can come along and grab that player the next year. Then Houston backfills with players from lower down the chain.

I also don't think $5k is going to be tops for the G5. I believe in a few years the P5 will be at $200k/player and the best G5 schools will be offering at least $10k - $20k, but possibly much more for specific stars. This will escalate quickly. Already some stars have signed much bigger deals.

Where this is headed is the P5 will be the semi-pro feeder for the NFL, and the G5 will feed the P5, and so on.

When teams like Notre Dame are negotiating $75 million yearly media payouts, you better believe they will spend millions on players. Texas A&M was rumored to have spent $30 million on NIL recruiting last year.

It could be good and bad. I think it's a good thing when your talking a star player. If a kid wins the Heisman, he's earned it. If he gets a deal from Gatorade, he might be less inclined to leave college early for the NFL draft. That's good for football.

I actually think NDSU is going to clean house on this for our overall roster but maybe not the superstars. Not like big national deals for star players but for retention and depth. 95% of FCS schools can't afford to do FCOA so they sure as shit won't be able to pull this off. There are still G5 schools who aren't doing FCOA.I doubt we could pull off 25 grand a year but what about something like this?

- Business agrees to pay all interested football players $50 a month for being a brand ambassador. It's not big money but it's still $600 a year, paid at years end. I would cost a business $60 grand a year to fund 100 players, but all the players will be promoting them on social media so it's a good benefit. Doesn't sound like much, until you get 20 businesses doing the same thing and suddenly it's 12 grand a year, enough to cover a full ride scholarship for a walk on or an extra 12 grand (plus FCOA) for a scholarship player. That could be good for retention.

How about a business looking for paid interns in certain fields? How about a business paying for a 5th year graduate transfer for an internship?

Here's what they are doing at BYU. Business partner pays all players who want to join up to 1K annually each. Then they pay for a full scholarship for any walk on player. That's a really good cause but then again, just because they pay for a scholarship doesn't mean they are going to make the team. So they could end up just funding someone 1 year who never plays football and then wants to be an accountant. So it's kind of a good cause for the greater good but BYU can now essentially make everyone a scholarship player. That could help with retention, maybe not as much for recruiting the big stars, who will get Nike deals at Alabama

I think for NDSU, it's going to be a significant advantage for our general territory. If you own a business in North Dakota and western Minnesota that operates state wide, that could be an effective advertising campaign since we're on statewide ABC and statewide radio. That's a pretty big reach. They can advertise their products from Beach ND to Alexandria MN, and NDSU has fans in those territories. Players get paid. Business gets a great partnership.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Now often is NDSU competing with P5 schools that aren't bottom feeders for recruits even before NIL was introduced? It might still come down to a recruit weighing the prestige of a big-time program where they could have limited playing time or any top 10 FCS program where they will get more playing time, lots of wins and still have the exposure to get in the NFL if that is their ultimate goal.

It's OK to not be OK.

It could be good and bad. I think it's a good thing when your talking a star player. If a kid wins the Heisman, he's earned it. If he gets a deal from Gatorade, he might be less inclined to leave college early for the NFL draft. That's good for football.

I actually think NDSU is going to clean house on this for our overall roster but maybe not the superstars. Not like big national deals for star players but for retention and depth. 95% of FCS schools can't afford to do FCOA so they sure as shit won't be able to pull this off. There are still G5 schools who aren't doing FCOA.I doubt we could pull off 25 grand a year but what about something like this?

- Business agrees to pay all interested football players $50 a month for being a brand ambassador. It's not big money but it's still $600 a year, paid at years end. I would cost a business $60 grand a year to fund 100 players, but all the players will be promoting them on social media so it's a good benefit. Doesn't sound like much, until you get 20 businesses doing the same thing and suddenly it's 12 grand a year, enough to cover a full ride scholarship for a walk on or an extra 12 grand (plus FCOA) for a scholarship player. That could be good for retention.

How about a business looking for paid interns in certain fields? How about a business paying for a 5th year graduate transfer for an internship?

Here's what they are doing at BYU. Business partner pays all players who want to join up to 1K annually each. Then they pay for a full scholarship for any walk on player. That's a really good cause but then again, just because they pay for a scholarship doesn't mean they are going to make the team. So they could end up just funding someone 1 year who never plays football and then wants to be an accountant. So it's kind of a good cause for the greater good but BYU can now essentially make everyone a scholarship player. That could help with retention, maybe not as much for recruiting the big stars, who will get Nike deals at Alabama

I think for NDSU, it's going to be a significant advantage for our general territory. If you own a business in North Dakota and western Minnesota that operates state wide, that could be an effective advertising campaign since we're on statewide ABC and statewide radio. That's a pretty big reach. They can advertise their products from Beach ND to Alexandria MN, and NDSU has fans in those territories. Players get paid. Business gets a great partnership.
    Need to remember NIL is not affiliated with the university so their payments to a NIL deal will not get them free advertising on tv or radio.

Who in the FCS is going to compete with NDSU to offer $25k per year ? What NDSU donors are going to shell that kind of dough out for a FCS NDSU. I feel like we need to get to the G5 if we are going to compete on a NIL level. There is no point for a FCS school to compete with FBS schools on NIL deals when we already have the best recruits.