Page 599 of 1362 FirstFirst ... 994995495895975985996006016096496991099 ... LastLast
Results 5,981 to 5,990 of 13620

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Nice writeup by Kolpack on the topic. Great title too

https://twitter.com/KolpackInForum/s...Cz2cOTl80qAAAA

But I’d say timing is much bigger than geography. Patience is the word right now. The sooner the NCAA dust settles, the sooner there will be movement.

The dust is nowhere near settled now and James Madison and SHSU moved up.

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    Joining the MW isn't a golden ticket either..Schools make their hay on their own. If your are kicking back and figuring being in a good conference greases the wheels you are wrong. The example you use is Boise. They have been really good for awhile now but they made their bones in two minor conferences. The Big West and the WAC. There wasn't a whole lot of really successful programs in either.

They put their head down, raised their budgets, improved their facilities and played anybody, anywhere..They had a big chip on their shoulder which sustained their drive in the long climb. They were focussed. They didn't ask for help in their quest.

You may get lucky and get invited to a solid conference right away. That would be good for you. However, I would be hesitant to just assume you will be the next Boise State. What they have accomplished is exceedingly rare. It also took a long time..Nobody gave them a leg up. It was a slog every step of the way.
    Literally no one is saying that. Go take that message to the other ND university - they just show up and expect everyone to bow to them.

You don't have a track record like NDSU does by disrespecting your peers/opponents like that. Respect all, fear none. Bring on the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I just respectfully disagree. Staying put, while the FCS bleeds decent teams, is the least desirable. In my mind, by far. At least from a football standpoint. If we are going to stay in FCS and then set out to become the next Wichita State in basketball, then fine. I could at least understand that approach. But we are far closer to becoming the next Boise State in football than the next Wichita State in basketball. But to do that, we need an FBS schedule. Any FBS schedule is better than the best FCS schedule.
    Idk, this just sounds like the "Idaho" plan. If/when we jump, we need to know we're not paying for a round-trip ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

The dust is nowhere near settled now and James Madison and SHSU moved up.
    Apples and Oranges

NDSU is in a different class entirely than JMU and SHU, both as CFB power and as an academic institution. It stands out on these fronts even within the MVFC, arguably the best in FCS

NDSU shouldn't settle for flank steak when it deserves tenderloin

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Talk about moving the goalposts...
    I was responding to the claim any FBS schedule is better than any FCS, which is most definitely not true. People want fan engagement, what do you think the average fan is going to think once the novelty of "FBS!!!!" wears off and they realize most of the teams we play are worse than what we have now. You want a new Great West conference, great. That was a regional group of like minded schools. Who is going to come with us this time?
    All I'm saying is reality probably won't meet your expectation. You can dream up the best case scenario all you want, just realize we aren't going to get that.
    You believe regional was 2 Dakota Schools, 1 Colorado School, 1 Utah School and 2 California Schools? That was as much of a group of misfits as CUSA. Only SDSU came with us last time. If SDSU agreed to come with us this time would it convince you to take a shot at CUSA? The novelty of FBS will wear off no matter what conference we're in if we aren't committed to being successful. If we are content being mediocre in FBS and don't aspire to bigger things than fans will leave. On the flip side, many fans feel like staying FCS is waving the white flag and not aspiring to bigger things now. Hence the reason why many are choosing to spend their time and money on other endeavors rather than attending Bison Football games on Saturday. Expectations are not being met currently for a lot of fans. Not in on field performance but in terms of value for their time and money. That's an issue. FBS isn't the only possible answer to that but it is and will be part of the conversation as long as we remain FCS.

I don't think NDSU should settle..I just see a bit of excuse making..Location, jealousy, fear of playing NDSU, turmoil in the NCAA..etc..

I think NDSU could do well moving up. I am not sure there is as much desire to do so as you see on a message board.

I don't think NDSU should settle..I just see a bit of excuse making..Location, jealousy, fear of playing NDSU, turmoil in the NCAA..etc..

I think NDSU could do well moving up. I am not sure there is as much desire to do so as you see on a message board.
    You are correct in a sense, as I don’t think the previous president was interested in FBS. You can tell from stuff he said in his exit interview with McFeely. I don’t know about the new president yet, but the point is, the landscape right now is so uncertain that its “wait and see” at this point. Beyond the fans, I get a strong sense that the program wants it. We’ll find out, though.

You yourself said in a previous post that if the MWC wanted NDSU, geography is not an issue. My prediction is that the MWC won’t get a chance to add NDSU . Of course, if I’m wrong, I’ll come back and own it.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    You believe regional was 2 Dakota Schools, 1 Colorado School, 1 Utah School and 2 California Schools? That was as much of a group of misfits as CUSA. Only SDSU came with us last time. If SDSU agreed to come with us this time would it convince you to take a shot at CUSA? The novelty of FBS will wear off no matter what conference we're in if we aren't committed to being successful. If we are content being mediocre in FBS and don't aspire to bigger things than fans will leave. On the flip side, many fans feel like staying FCS is waving the white flag and not aspiring to bigger things now. Hence the reason why many are choosing to spend their time and money on other endeavors rather than attending Bison Football games on Saturday. Expectations are not being met currently for a lot of fans. Not in on field performance but in terms of value for their time and money. That's an issue. FBS isn't the only possible answer to that but it is and will be part of the conversation as long as we remain FCS.
    I'm on record multiple times saying I wanted a group of midwest schools to become CUSA-North division in the recent alignment, and that while more is better I'm ok with just NDSU/SDSU jumping together. Really not sure what more I can do to say I support an FBS *as long as it has a good chance of success*. If the rumors of CUSA's finances are true they're a total dumpster fire and will probably collapse just like the WAC did a decade ago. I also understand that conference membership is so much more than just having a good football team, which some seem to have trouble seeing.

Geography would not be an issue with the MW..It is a pretty spread out league already..However, there other factors that would be an issue. It is all stuff that could be worked out but the MW is not desperate and not of a mind to grab new members just to add. You would have to pay dearly to be football only. You probably won't have the votes for a full membership. You would no longer be on ESPN. Almost every football game is televised but most of them are played at night. Because the MW TV deals are primarily predicated on providing content for open time slots, your road games would likely start at 10 pm your time. Your home games would almost certainly start later to fill the slots the providers want. Just a lot of stuff to consider.

You don't add anything the conference doesn't already have so your pitch would likely have to have several strong concessions on your end. The conference has never taken any school directly from FCS. I am not saying it can't be done but nothing about this will be easy..

Getting the AAC will be just as tough but they are at least in an expanding mood..Better chance there.