Page 573 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 734735235635715725735745755836236731073 ... LastLast
Results 5,721 to 5,730 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

I have no idea what the MW will do in the future but if they want NDSU they will invite you. Your AD may well have had conversations with Thompson before.

It should be noted, while Thompson can make recommendations, he has no vote. These decisions are ultimately voted on by academics. That may actually help your chances because there are 5 land grant schools. That does show some commonality. A great football team is a plus but only one factor being evaluated.

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    I have no idea what the MW will do in the future but if they want NDSU they will invite you. Your AD may well have had conversations with Thompson before.

It should be noted, while Thompson can make recommendations, he has no vote. These decisions are ultimately voted on by academics. That may actually help your chances because there are 5 land grant schools. That does show some commonality. A great football team is a plus but only one factor being evaluated.
    How can we blame Larson then?
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

You can blame him on a message board..That is what the platform is designed for..

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...heir-own-rules

OSU AD suggests that all FBS FB leave NCAA and adopt FCS-like playoff structure under CFP umbrella

They’d have to reign in NIL before the "lessers" agree, but lots of action starting now with imminent NCAA leadership change on the horizon

Something like this is much more likely than a split within the P5, IMO
    There’s nothing in there about “reigning in” NIL. Not sure why there would be. If that’s what they wanted there wouldn’t be any reason to leave the NCAA. Seems like they want their own governance structure so that they’re free to make their own decisions without regard to what non-football schools want.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    There’s nothing in there about “reigning in” NIL. Not sure why there would be. If that’s what they wanted there wouldn’t be any reason to leave the NCAA. Seems like they want their own governance structure so that they’re free to make their own decisions without regard to what non-football schools want.
    No, that's popping up elsewhere. Culhane was just talking about it.

And yes, if they can sort it out to their liking, then they won't leave the NCAA, but FBS splitting off is much more likely than the P5 splitting off or splitting internally, IMO. I think they'd prefer to stay but want more governance, and Emmert supplied absolutely none.

The sense I get is that everyone now thinks NIL is out of control, even the super-league teams. We'll see

No, that's popping up elsewhere. Culhane was just talking about it.

And yes, if they can sort it out to their liking, then they won't leave the NCAA, but FBS splitting off is much more likely than the P5 splitting off or splitting internally, IMO. I think they'd prefer to stay but want more governance, and Emmert supplied absolutely none.

The sense I get is that everyone now thinks NIL is out of control, even the super-league teams. We'll see
    What if anything has Jay Bilas said about this? He is (or was) a big supporter of this. I have not seen anything from him. But maybe I did not look in the correct spot.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    What if anything has Jay Bilas said about this? He is (or was) a big supporter of this. I have not seen anything from him. But maybe I did not look in the correct spot.
    Not sure, but he's the last guy I'd listen too on this

This is probably most recent

https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/0...aws-recruiting

Sounds like they'd rather have it go back under the table

IMO, the easiest and most ideal scenario would be to place some kind of limits on NIL and the TP, keep FBS under the NCAA umbrella, and expand the CFP

Whether this happens or not is TBD

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...heir-own-rules

OSU AD suggests that all FBS FB leave NCAA and adopt FCS-like playoff structure under CFP umbrella

They’d have to reign in NIL before the "lessers" agree, but lots of action starting now with imminent NCAA leadership change on the horizon

Something like this is much more likely than a split within the P5, IMO

In any scenario, the top 10-20 teams are going to get nearly all of the top recruits when they can take their talents to the highest bidder and everyone else will be playing for something like the Frisco Bowl.
    It's OK to not be OK.

The top schools have always signed the best players..That hasn't changed..Pay for play used to be under the table but now it is out in the open. My humble, mid major, alma mater pays for certain players now. I think every school in the MW does so as well..That's the deal these days..

This is all funded by boosters..

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    In any scenario, the top 10-20 teams are going to get nearly all of the top recruits when they can take their talents to the highest bidder and everyone else will be playing for something like the Frisco Bowl.
    Yes, it's already like that, and now getting worse with open NIL. What would be best for mid-major FB? What would be best for mid-major BB? To this point, it seems they want to stay affiliated, from both perspectives: mid-majors don't want to leave the elites and the elites don't want to break away (really truly). Hard to know what will happen, but major change seems like it is always forced upon them, rather than chosen. Emmert just waived a white flag on this front.

To me, FBS minus the uber rich, with a reasonably sized playoff, would be ideal for NDSU, but it might not happen. And if it doesn't, going FBS still seems like the right thing to do. You've won 9 of the last 11, and you really don't fit in the landscape of FCS at this point. You'll never sniff a natty, but you can reap some degree of monetary reward and compete for conference titles against more appropriate talent. That's pretty much what true mid-major hoops is now, no?