Page 565 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 654655155555635645655665675756156651065 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,650 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Agreed. Neither am I, but my own perspective evolves in unpredictable ways. For example:

Speaking in the 100 % hypothetical - for obvious reasons given the constraints - how would people feel if NDSU somehow got a FB-only invite to the Sunbelt, if say Mo State was a full conference member?

Again, 100 % hypothetical, so don't go postal on me please.
    Back in the height of the realignment chaos when it looked like an invite was a possibility, I offhand mentioned that if the Big 12 invited us we should be very cautious. I was immediately jumped on, when what I really meant was if the B12 was reduced to inviting ANY team directly from FCS that something terrible was going on behind the scenes and they were on the verge of collapse. Similarly, I don't think we can separate a Sun Belt invite from what happened to make them look halfway across the country at us. If the MAC had invited NDSU/SDSU or CUSA invited 5-7 midwest schools that's pretty easy to understand. The problem with pretty much any other hypothetical is 'why?'

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Just a different way of saying the same thing. Still can't remember anybody actually saying avoid FBS at any cost.
    Apparently still not making it clear enough for you.

The thought is that there are fans that don't want to go FBS regardless of cost. They want "the right" scenario.

Back in the height of the realignment chaos when it looked like an invite was a possibility, I offhand mentioned that if the Big 12 invited us we should be very cautious. I was immediately jumped on, when what I really meant was if the B12 was reduced to inviting ANY team directly from FCS that something terrible was going on behind the scenes and they were on the verge of collapse. Similarly, I don't think we can separate a Sun Belt invite from what happened to make them look halfway across the country at us. If the MAC had invited NDSU/SDSU or CUSA invited 5-7 midwest schools that's pretty easy to understand. The problem with pretty much any other hypothetical is 'why?'
    Why? Better FB competition, obviously, and more P5 games. Play JMU on a regular basis. Any FBS move for NDSU is going to involve travel.

Sunbelt is trending up and seems very stable, so I don't think your concern is legitimate.

I get the impression that being with the other Dakota schools is very important to you. Would you say that's accurate?

Why? Better FB competition, obviously, and more P5 games. Play JMU on a regular basis. Any FBS move for NDSU is going to involve travel.

Sunbelt is trending up and seems very stable, so I don't think your concern is legitimate.

I get the impression that being with the other Dakota schools is very important to you. Would you say that's accurate?
    I absolutely want to stay with regional partner(s). History has shown that's the only path to success. I'm fine with that only being SDSU, though I wouldn't be surprised if state politics force us to stay with UND and SDSU with USD.

You sure about that?

Broadly speaking, it seems to me that the lefties want to stay FCS and the righties want to move up, although there are obvious exceptions

What does the program want? What do the former players want? I’d put more weight on that. Fans are fickle, especially spoiled ones
    This is not remotely political. And for what its worth, even "lefty" types in ND are largely pretty tame.

Honestly, I've never seen the board more unified on wanting to move up. The fights on here 7-8 years ago were wild. Basically everyone wants to move up. The disagreements are pretty minor.
    College of Business Alumnus

I absolutely want to stay with regional partner(s). History has shown that's the only path to success. I'm fine with that only being SDSU, though I wouldn't be surprised if state politics force us to stay with UND and SDSU with USD.
    Only? Sample size of 1? Bold statement bro

As for the bolded, I think that's what some are hoping for, but I don't see how they could stop NDSU from moving up

I understand you better now, though

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    This is not remotely political. And for what its worth, even "lefty" types in ND are largely pretty tame.

Honestly, I've never seen the board more unified on wanting to move up. The fights on here 7-8 years ago were wild. Basically everyone wants to move up. The disagreements are pretty minor.
    Thanks for the insight. I don't see it myself, TBH, but I'm glad to hear it and I'll take your word.

Thanks for the insight. I don't see it myself, TBH, but I'm glad to hear it and I'll take your word.
    I think he’s right. Just because a lot of people want lakes to turn his volume nob down six notches and stop with the ridiculous character attacks doesn’t mean they’re FBS forever.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

So that's the new strategy, force us to stay with the rest. You truly are FCS Forever because there's no way USD and UND move, and it sounds like SDSU doesn't want to move either.

Do you remember when USD and UND didn't want to move to D1? If we had been held back by them back then where would we be now? For a person who claims to not be an FCS Forever, you've sure shown that you really are in that mode.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Only? Sample size of 1? Bold statement bro

As for the bolded, I think that's what some are hoping for, but I don't see how they could stop NDSU from moving up

I understand you better now, though
    If by only you mean the partners needed for success, just compare the xDSU path vs UND. Look which side USD chose and how they've done. Travel partners are the gold standard for conference membership, not sure why you're calling this a sample size of 1. As far as FBS moves, look at UConn, UMass, FAMU and tell me all jumps are successful.

As for politics, the ND SBoHE absolutely has the ability to stop NDSU jumping. They absolutely have veto power over something like this. I have no idea what their position is on it, but if they informally told NDSU athletics they can't go FBS without UND then we're stuck for the time being.