Page 535 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 354354855255335345355365375455856351035 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,350 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    For instance if NDSU matched UND's student fees and institutional support, we'd find another $8 million right there. Add that to the $4-$5 million from media and FBS moneys and...
    There's a lot more to that number, particularly with the difference in relationships each University has with facilities. As some one previously mentioned, how those numbers are made up are one gigantic shell game.
    UND was able to get the student body to support the move to D1 with an increase in student fees. Would NDSU be able to leverage the same with a move to FBS? They failed at the increase last time and instead the students traded some of their seats to help boost athletic department revenue, which is basically an indirect increase in student fees.

I'd also be curious what NDSU would have to do to address any Title IX issues. They currently are able to get by (as of 2020 reports) offering 62% of financial aid and 66% of upduplicated participation to men's athletics while only having 55% of the student body as male. Financial aid would end up north of a 2:1 discrepancy without adding an additional woman's sport and that doesn't take into account the increased discrepancy overall spending by gender.

NDSU survey sent out today to teammakers. comment at end. FBS or bust. enough of this BS
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    Had NDSU been MAC they wouldn't have stepped on campus. Next man up.
    mountain west dude. no one talking MAC
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Do you think we need to be top half of the conference in budget in year 1? Is that typical for any FCS to FBS move? I don’t want to be the bottom of the conference long term, but some things like media and NCAA money will change overnight, and with modest changes elsewhere (student fees, institutional support), we’re already talking about being in the median of the conference before we start looking at tickets, corporate sponsorships, additional fundraising.

Hell, take our 13,173 students and charge them the same for athletic student fees as UND. That’s a little over $3M right there.
    Year 1, of course not. But there needs to be a plan to get there. Not impossible, but jumping in hoping for the best is a recipe for disaster. MAC would be vastly easier to budget than MWC.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    There's a lot more to that number, particularly with the difference in relationships each University has with facilities. As some one previously mentioned, how those numbers are made up are one gigantic shell game.
    UND was able to get the student body to support the move to D1 with an increase in student fees. Would NDSU be able to leverage the same with a move to FBS? They failed at the increase last time and instead the students traded some of their seats to help boost athletic department revenue, which is basically an indirect increase in student fees.

I'd also be curious what NDSU would have to do to address any Title IX issues. They currently are able to get by (as of 2020 reports) offering 62% of financial aid and 66% of upduplicated participation to men's athletics while only having 55% of the student body as male. Financial aid would end up north of a 2:1 discrepancy without adding an additional woman's sport and that doesn't take into account the increased discrepancy overall spending by gender.
    Title IX shouldn't be an issue. Adding women's tennis would be easy and should take care of everything. Remember that NDSU is one of the few schools that uses the 3rd prong of Title IX, which basically means we give both men's and women's sports the support they need rather than checking an equal funding box. Ironically, other than football our women's programs are arguably more successful than the men's, so if anything we're leaning towards the need to increase men's funding.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    NDSU survey sent out today to teammakers. comment at end. FBS or bust. enough of this BS
    HMM, when did this go out? Email? Snail Mail? maybe i'm not "BIG TIME" enough to get one... DAMN IT!!
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Title IX shouldn't be an issue. Adding women's tennis would be easy and should take care of everything. Remember that NDSU is one of the few schools that uses the 3rd prong of Title IX, which basically means we give both men's and women's sports the support they need rather than checking an equal funding box. Ironically, other than football our women's programs are arguably more successful than the men's, so if anything we're leaning towards the need to increase men's funding.
    Correct, but there is a reason a lot of schools have moved away from the 3rd prong.
    All it would take is a group of female athletes to show that there is interest in a sport not being offered at NDSU and their compliance becomes in jeopardy. With the growth of women's hockey and women's wrestling in the state and region, the possibility of those is definitely greater than zero. And then you are no longer controlling what was yours to control.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    I've used that site plenty in the past and I think it's reasonably accurate. I gave the $15-30M range because it covers average to top of the MWC. I don't have a problem with someone picking any number in there, but that number is only going to go up in the future. I don't think NDSU should aim at conference average. Other than Wyoming we'd have about half the enrollment of the rest, which makes the student fee multiplier less effective. I wouldn't count on a lot of state support. The budget isn't impossible, but also far from easy. Remember that if we want 6 home games, that money we make for going to 2 FBS games is offset by having to bring in 2 teams. Just because we have the FBS label doesn't mean the Big 10 will be falling over themselves to schedule us. FBS=profit definitely isn't true, I don't think anybody in the G5 makes money from athletics. We're not going to be the outlier.
    These are viable points. If NDSU really really really wants to move up they will figure out a way to raise the budget and the revenue streams. However, there is no magic elixir available in G5. It is a full on scramble for all mid majors. There is also a dwindling supply of open spots in P5. The money doesn't flow downhill from the big boys..They aren't interested in sharing.

So, you just have to question what the potential upside would be for you and then decide if what it takes to get there is worth it.

The next question you might knock around here on this board is what is the upside for the MW or any conference to add you? CUSA would be a delighted to add you because it is a conference trying to survive.

However, what is the benefit to the MW? Does it help them to add more mouths to feed? Do they have to add if a couple schools leave?

I don't know the answer but my question is now that athletes are employees, why does this matter?
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

To your point, NDSU students shot down the student fees last time because the general thought was "why are we increasing student fees if we're not moving up in athletics?" A fair point that I agreed with when I was a student. If it ends up being a student fees issue, you can also raise the price of a credit by $20 per semester. $20 x 12 credits = $240 per full time student per semester.

Since the additional money would be for the AD as a whole, it would likely get dispersed throughout like taper says.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*