Page 533 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 334334835235315325335345355435836331033 ... LastLast
Results 5,321 to 5,330 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by cx500d View Post
    Comparing charter flight cost to commercial flight cost is apples to oranges. Charter flights are typically priced by distance (or flight hours) and capacity of the aircraft required; commercial is based on other factors in addition to distance such as competition with other airlines, ass’ in seats, seasons, special events, etc. also, hotel costs in the bigger cities tend to be a lot more expensive than those in say, Normal or Youngstown.

So if your distance doubles, your price may double for a charter (not really because their are some sunk costs that would be the similar). Additionally hotel costs would probably increase significantly going to higher cost cities, as well as the food costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think you missed my point. My point was that you can’t take an extra HOUR of air travel time and then DOUBLE our entire $5,500,000 gameday expense and travel budget lol. We currently fly charter to Eastern Washington, Baltimore, Salt Lake City, all for non conference games just fine with no problem. Why would it be all of the sudden more cost prohibitive to do it 4 times a year in a conference that is paying us millions more to do so?

If someone thinks we can’t make FBS work because we can’t afford an extra hour of charter flight or because the Chick Fil A in Denver costs more than the one in Springfield, there’s no use arguing. Again, the really only important thing about travel is if the current schools would be okay with sending their people here. Look what they do to Hawaii.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

yea. the travel issue $$ is total strawman
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    What you don't know is if those checkbooks support it or not either. Perhaps the NDSU admin does know that.
    I do know several...
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I think you missed my point. My point was that you can’t take an extra HOUR of air travel time and then DOUBLE our entire $5,500,000 gameday expense and travel budget lol. We currently fly charter to Eastern Washington, Baltimore, Salt Lake City, all for non conference games just fine with no problem. Why would it be all of the sudden more cost prohibitive to do it 4 times a year in a conference that is paying us millions more to do so?

If someone thinks we can’t make FBS work because we can’t afford an extra hour of charter flight or because the Chick Fil A in Denver costs more than the one in Springfield, there’s no use arguing. Again, the really only important thing about travel is if the current schools would be okay with sending their people here. Look what they do to Hawaii.
    its the last FCS Forever crowd argument, and its not at all going to hold up.
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    You might think it's the last argument from the FCS Forever crowd but they'll just keep moving goal posts and coming up with something new. It's been their tactic from day one.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    There no guarantee of playoffs expanding to 12. Or a G5 playoff. Topics that have been around about as long as the NDSU argument of FCS or FBS.
    The playoff will expand to 12 in the next round. What you saw this last time was the B1G and PAC12 showing some 'muscle' to Sankey and the SEC, but they’re actually hurting themselves, since the SEC benefits much more from a '4 team playoff'. They are doing so to make some kind of point, apparently, under the guise of waiting for a new TV deal. There’s too much $$ on the table, everyone knows it, and the 4-team deal is losing a little luster with each season.

I also feel comfortable saying that the P5 will never break off – see hoops and NCAA tournament. They would damage themselves more than they are now, which is saying a lot. We already have pro football, and every attempt at a second league has bombed. P5 needs to stick with the (ever-so-compliant) NCAA and they know it. Much more likely that CUSA folds IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    Like I said, Matt Larsen himself has said that the money actually works out pretty well for us at FBS. The money is not the issue. The travel (at least for NDSU) is not the issue.

It's getting a conference on board with us. That's it, open and shut, last item to check off on the list. And from what I hear they already have that or are making significant progress towards it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

taper is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Like I said, Matt Larsen himself has said that the money actually works out pretty well for us at FBS. The money is not the issue. The travel (at least for NDSU) is not the issue.

It's getting a conference on board with us. That's it, open and shut, last item to check off on the list. And from what I hear they already have that or are making significant progress towards it.
    The money issue greatly depends on which conference you're looking at. We're already pretty close to the MAC average and old CUSA would be manageable. Larsen was probably talking about those, and those were the 2 most realistic options if any conference was going to invite us. MWC is a different story, we'd have to double our budget, and the media deal wouldn't even remotely come close to filling that gap. Wanting to know where you'll find an extra $15-30M annually before jumping doesn't make me part of this fictional FCS forever cabal.

BTW, NDSU and SDSU as a pair to the MAC is something I could get behind. Just don't see it happening in the near future for several reasons.

Define "lost money" lol. Do you count donations? How about merchandise? Licensing? TV deal? There is so much "general revenue" (and general expenses) across every AD, it's probably impossible to quantify apples to apples.
    That's why I asked if it was real. It just seemed squishy.

A $41k deficit sounds like a ten-day southern road trip for softball for most northern schools.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Wanting to know where you'll find an extra $15-30M annually before jumping doesn't make me part of this fictional FCS forever cabal.

BTW, NDSU and SDSU as a pair to the MAC is something I could get behind. Just don't see it happening in the near future for several reasons.
    I thought the number tossed about a few years back was $4-6M annual increase in total athletics budget for a top 1/3 FCS to go FBS.

SDSU's admin is at best cool to the subject. (You think Bismarck is stodgy on budget? Y'ain't been ta Pierre.)