Page 471 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 371421461469470471472473481521571971 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,710 of 13493

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    I sense some purple here, but if there was a 12-team-playoff model like the one that was proposed, then any given conference would want to have the best FB possible, to be better positioned to compete for the additional playoff $$. If that doesn’t happen, then no, there would be no incentive.
    It seems like everything in college football is reactionary. I don't think anyone will bring anyone in to boost the level of football in their conference until after an expanded playoff is in place. Even then I think the P5s are going to do everything they can to keep as many dollars amongst themselves as possible and not give a cent more than they have to to the G5s.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    It seems like everything in college football is reactionary. I don't think anyone will bring anyone in to boost the level of football in their conference until after an expanded playoff is in place. Even then I think the P5s are going to do everything they can to keep as many dollars amongst themselves as possible and not give a cent more than they have to to the G5s.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Completely agree, which is why I think standards should be high. Not worth it to go to CUSA with that looming, IMO. I guess we’ll see how it all shakes out.

I sense some purple here, but if there was a 12-team-playoff model like the one that was proposed, then any given conference would want to have the best FB possible, to be better positioned to compete for the additional playoff $$. If that doesn’t happen, then no, there would be no incentive.
    If the teams at the top of the mac or mw think they have a chance of making the CFP at 12 teams, they surely aren’t going to bring us in to screw it up for them.

No purple, all truth. We could literally win 100 straight games and we’d be no closer to being in FBS. Just because we’re a top 50 team doesn’t mean they want us or ever will.

Continue building on academics (R1 designation is huge), increase endowment, increase fan base, continue to get monster TV ratings and see what happens.

Be a school that conference mates would be proud to have, not ashamed when the only thing that makes it look like we belong is beating them in football. This isn’t XBOX, conference affiliations have much less to do with football ability than many other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    If the teams at the top of the mac or mw think they have a chance of making the CFP at 12 teams, they surely aren’t going to bring us in to screw it up for them.

No purple, all truth. We could literally win 100 straight games and we’d be no closer to being in FBS. Just because we’re a top 50 team doesn’t mean they want us or ever will.

Continue building on academics (R1 designation is huge), increase endowment, increase fan base, continue to get monster TV ratings and see what happens.

Be a school that conference mates would be proud to have, not ashamed when the only thing that makes it look like we belong is beating them in football. This isn’t XBOX, conference affiliations have much less to do with football ability than many other things.
    There's so much truth in this. 92 and I had some sparring in previous threads, but it's clear we both want what's best for NDSU. Since it's clear we didn't have what it takes to get an invite in this realignment, do everything we can to improve the entire university to be ready for the next round.

Fair enough. Me too really. Hard not to want it sometimes though, and not get impatient, given the reality of the situation

Fair enough. Me too really. Hard not to want it sometimes though, and not get impatient, given the reality of the situation
    The reality of the situation is that impatience has been warranted, given that we have been an FBS-caliber football program for a decade. The reality is that we should go FBS independent if we don't have a conference. The reality is, if we had gone FBS independent a couple years ago when there were plenty of other FBS independent teams to schedule, we'd be in an FBS conference today. Does anyone think Las Cruces is easier than Fargo for most CUSA teams to get to? And we are already a better quality university than most of the teams in G5 conferences. We're R1, and we've been R1 in the past. There's just not many other achievements for us to secure as a university.

I think the reality is that if we continue to wait for the landscape to change in our favor, we will continue to get passed by (if we ever have been passed by). I'm not convinced that we were passed up this round as much as we just sat this one out. I'm guessing we never contacted CUSA or the MAC to express an interest. We may not have even contacted the MWC. We needed to be aggressive and proactive.

If not FBS, fine. But then let's fund football at a typical FCS level and put more money into basketball. Or let's start hockey (...why should UND have everything we have and then some?). Lets do something to move forward. Does the athletics department have a strategic plan that is about anything other than better offices for coaches and better play spaces for athletes?

Having said all of that, I don't believe FBS will happen. So I'm resigned to that. I'm just frustrated at our own role in ensuring that we never move up. We deserve to be where we are at for not having tried. And how do I surmise that we haven't tried? Because ML and DB have repeatedly told us as much.
    Last edited by Professorbum; 12-19-2021 at 08:02 PM.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    No, a small but vocal group of internet fanboys is calling for FB only. NDSU has been very guarded in its statements, which imo is the correct path right now. Simple fact is there hasn't been an invite and there's no sign of an upcoming invite. Plus the G5 as a whole dumped nearly all their affiliates in the last few years. Repeating a lie doesn't make it true.
    then enjoy the fargodome with 12,500 each saturday.

you say "I'm guessing we never contacted CUSA or the MAC to express an interest. We may not have even contacted the MWC. We needed to be aggressive and proactive."

OF COURSE NDSU hasn't contacted anyone, same shit as the last 10 years. Dean is gone now and Matt L/Todd/Lein can convince the new president that we shouldn't risk our cushy jobs for the next 5 years as well. we are screwed.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

wait is this true? can someone show me or point me to podcast of this?

Replying to
    @tonyelgringo12

@angelgalvez4722
    and 3 others

No FBS conference has ever reached out to NDSU regarding moving up. This was confirmed by the AD a few weeks ago.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

There's so much truth in this. 92 and I had some sparring in previous threads, but it's clear we both want what's best for NDSU. Since it's clear we didn't have what it takes to get an invite in this realignment, do everything we can to improve the entire university to be ready for the next round.
    Absolutely, we have some different perspectives on certain things but in the end we seem pretty realistic with our views and really just want what’s best for the university.

Move the university forward and see what comes.

…and maybe make some phone calls to the good conferences
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Need to get enrollment to 20k so we improve our academics and research. Make NDSU the premier university in the upper Midwest!