Page 379 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 279329369377378379380381389429479879 ... LastLast
Results 3,781 to 3,790 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    Do you think it will get better if we stay at the FCS level and start losing? If we are FBS and even at the low end of it, there is no place to go but up. We are at the top of the FCS and do be honest, there is no place but down regardless if we win or lose.
    This is exactly correct. This is as clear as it can be said.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

I didn't bother buying championship tix when they went on sale this year. Our group also decided we aren't going to bother going if NDSU makes it. How many times can you expect a fan base to go to the same town for the same game? For me apparently 8 was the limit. I will cheer the team on and continue to go to home games but I can tell you it gets easier and easier each year to miss games and not think twice about it.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Schlossman Fan Club View Post
    Will excitement stay that high if NDSU isn’t winning championships every year? How long before the fan base gets bored again? If NDSU went FBS the reward for a good season is a no name bowl game. Might be cool for fans at first but how long until fans miss being the beat team in the nation? I think we are seeing what happens when fans get bored of winning but will it be any better if we start losing?
    I'm just going to keep this copied in a txt file on my desktop at this point so I can repost it in situations like this (posted this two pages ago):

The “meaningless bowl game” argument is such a sneaky straw man setup. If we stay FCS, we get to play for championships. If we move up to FBS we now have to automatically assume we are worse and go 7-5 every year? As has been noted for almost a decade now, the MAC and MW are slight steps up from the MVFC. And increase in level of play is probably less than the benefits we see from increased recruiting and additional scholarships. The argument just doesn’t make sense to me. Our teams the last 10 years that have been playing for FCS championships would've been playing for MWC championships and a prestigious bowl game. Not NYE, but not some crap bowl either. Moving forward it's looking like our teams could potentially be playing for a NYE bowl or even better.

In a successful year, would you rather: 1) Win the MVFC, make the FCS championship and win the FCS championship or 2) Win the MW, win the MW championship game and make a NYE bowl (with an apparent chance at the G5 seed in a 12 team playoff)
    In a down year, would you rather: 1) go 6-2 in the MVFC, make the playoffs, get bounced in the quarters/semis or 2) go 5-3 in the MW, make a bowl game

IMO it's incorrect to make the argument that if we move up, we're all the sudden a worse team and finishing in the middle of the MW, but if we stay FCS we get to just automatically continue the dynasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

So NDSU should have been playing in the Big Sky???? Higher level of competition is the only benefit of playing in the MWC. Don’t get me wrong the west is beautiful, but nothing about traveling west is easy. Less preparation time each road week as more time is needed to travel that far west. UND learned it’s lesson about playing out west every week……..
    well, NDSU would be using the airport 3 minutes from Campus unlike UND who had 150 mile roundtrip....that sure helps

and yes they did fly out of Fargo for BB, VB, ect as I was travelling a lot at the time and seen them frequently
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I didn't bother buying championship tix when they went on sale this year. Our group also decided we aren't going to bother going if NDSU makes it. How many times can you expect a fan base to go to the same town for the same game? For me apparently 8 was the limit. I will cheer the team on and continue to go to home games but I can tell you it gets easier and easier each year to miss games and not think twice about it.
    Im in the same boat....holding onto season tickets just to see if something changes and keep my Tailgate spots. I fully admit I tailgated and 10 minutes before time to go in I packed up and went home, by the time I got to my garage and mixed a cocktail they were already up 7-0
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

So NDSU should have been playing in the Big Sky???? Higher level of competition is the only benefit of playing in the MWC. Don’t get me wrong the west is beautiful, but nothing about traveling west is easy. Less preparation time each road week as more time is needed to travel that far west. UND learned it’s lesson about playing out west every week……..
    Recruiting would also be critical. I don't expect we would be as successful in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri. Some of the Twin Cities recruits may not want to play all their road games in the West. We could be successful recruiting in Colorado, Utah, California, Washington but that's a risk.

I believe NDSU will eventually be in what is currently a G5 conference sooner than later. Curious to see where they land.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last weekend’s Top 25 results:

Friday, Sept. 10

No. 17 Coastal Carolina 49, Kansas 22
    Saturday, Sept. 11

No. 1 Alabama 48, Mercer 14
    No. 2 Georgia 56, UAB 7
    No. 12 Oregon 35, No. 3 Ohio State 28
    No. 4 Oklahoma 76, Western Carolina 0
    No. 5 Texas A&M 10, Colorado 7
    No. 6 Clemson 49, South Carolina State 3
    No. 7 Cincinnati 42, Murray State 7
    No. 8 Notre Dame 32, Toledo 29
    No. 10 Iowa 27, No. 9 Iowa State 17
    No. 11 Penn State 44, Ball State 13
    No. 13 Florida 42, South Florida 20
    Stanford 42, No. 14 USC 28
    Arkansas 40, No. 15 Texas 21
    No. 18 Wisconsin 34, Eastern Michigan 7
    No. 19 Virginia Tech 35, Middle Tennessee 14
    No. 20 Ole Miss 54, Austin Peay 17
    BYU 26, No. 21 Utah 17
    No. 22 Miami (Fla.) 25, Appalachian State 23
    No. 23 Arizona State 37, UNLV 10
    No. 24 North Carolina 59, Georgia State 17
    No. 25 Auburn 62, Alabama State 0

Looks like about 6 close games, of the 22 total.
    2 of those involved a match-up of Top 25 teams.
    1 of those involved a rivalry game in Utah, BYU & Utah.

FBS fatigue……

Your point being that you think the G5 is irrelevant to FBS? Would they agree with you? Cuz that's what it's going to take to get them to leave it behind ...

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Last weekend’s Top 25 results:

Friday, Sept. 10

No. 17 Coastal Carolina 49, Kansas 22
    Saturday, Sept. 11

No. 1 Alabama 48, Mercer 14
    No. 24 North Carolina 59, Georgia State 17
    No. 25 Auburn 62, Alabama State 0

Looks like about 6 close games, of the 22 total.
    2 of those involved a match-up of Top 25 teams.
    1 of those involved a rivalry game in Utah, BYU & Utah.

FBS fatigue……

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    Do you think it will get better if we stay at the FCS level and start losing? If we are FBS and even at the low end of it, there is no place to go but up. We are at the top of the FCS and do be honest, there is no place but down regardless if we win or lose.
    You are right there there is no place but to go up if we get into the G5, but we also run the risk of becoming an ordinary program in the sea of G5 team. Ordinary in the second tier of FBS would be a disaster. What are the chances of being at the top of G5? 50/50? Could we really out recruit Boise St or Coastal Carolina? Honestly not with Entz and T Roehl

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I'm just going to keep this copied in a txt file on my desktop at this point so I can repost it in situations like this (posted this two pages ago):

The “meaningless bowl game” argument is such a sneaky straw man setup. If we stay FCS, we get to play for championships. If we move up to FBS we now have to automatically assume we are worse and go 7-5 every year? As has been noted for almost a decade now, the MAC and MW are slight steps up from the MVFC. And increase in level of play is probably less than the benefits we see from increased recruiting and additional scholarships. The argument just doesn’t make sense to me. Our teams the last 10 years that have been playing for FCS championships would've been playing for MWC championships and a prestigious bowl game. Not NYE, but not some crap bowl either. Moving forward it's looking like our teams could potentially be playing for a NYE bowl or even better.

In a successful year, would you rather: 1) Win the MVFC, make the FCS championship and win the FCS championship or 2) Win the MW, win the MW championship game and make a NYE bowl (with an apparent chance at the G5 seed in a 12 team playoff)
    In a down year, would you rather: 1) go 6-2 in the MVFC, make the playoffs, get bounced in the quarters/semis or 2) go 5-3 in the MW, make a bowl game

IMO it's incorrect to make the argument that if we move up, we're all the sudden a worse team and finishing in the middle of the MW, but if we stay FCS we get to just automatically continue the dynasty.
    NDSU could get a seat in a New Years Six bowl game but what are the chances of that? There is big competition at the top of the G5 so are we going to out recruit them and bring in top recruits to Fargo? Fargo is not impressive at the G5 level…..