Page 343 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 2432933333413423433443453533934438431343 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,430 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I never said this is as good as it gets. All Ive basically said was NDSU has tried and their are no suitors at this juncture.

My GASF is at an all time low also. But thats due to no regular season, bullshit spring season and issues with in the program.

We will see what the fall brings.
    Sorry, I can see how you interpreted that.

I meant if you're right about the things you've said (NDSU has tried and there are no suitors)....then I think this is as good as it gets. Which sucks.

I'm with RTO....he and I used to be among the more rabid fans and I'm sure we'll always be fans, but I'm more 'meh' right now than anything. I've found other things to be passionate about and spend money on.

I think a lot of people feel that way. We can all agree to make fun of lakes because he's ridiculous, but I don't think he's in an echo chamber on the point of people losing interest Indy. I hear it all the time from the people that are relevant....NDSU fans.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I take this line as a swipe at me. I wouldn't expect DB or ML to go into details in response to a question asked by some employee sitting next to him at lunch (DB) or serving on an athletics committee with him (ML). But I don't think they'd outright lie to my face either. Again, I take them at their word. I was disappointed at their message, but I believed them. Which takes more faith?...believing what they say time and again to large groups, small groups, and to individuals one-on-one, or believing you and your insider confidence that ADs see themselves as a fraternity and therefore NDSU has probably approached other schools for an invite?

If there was even a modicum of interest in going FBS, I think they'd say so. Or at the very least, they wouldn't keep going out of their way to explicitly say they are not interested, as has been the case for years.
    Not a swipe because you are too intelligent and logical in your comments to take a swipe. But I also know someone in that position has to be careful with what they share and when they share. There was probably truth in what they say because there are pros and cons to making this kind of move. Both are true but you have to weigh them. People like Chapo love to get attention and responses out of people so they only look at the positives. And most of those positives seem to be tied to their own self worth based on tying themselves to an FBS program.

You definitely have more insight than most, and I expect knowledge you are smart enough to not share. My observations are anecdotal based on conversations I've had during NCAA events involving multiple administrators and coaches. It amazed me how much an AD at a major P5 school knew about the athletic program at NDSU. And this was before the full move to FCS.

I'm pretty confident there is interest in NDSU joining an FBS conference. I'm pretty confident there are G5 conferences that would love to have a program like NDSU. But it's not that simple. It's not like the choice we have of whether we want Ruth's Chris or Burger King.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Not a swipe because you are too intelligent and logical in your comments to take a swipe. But I also know someone in that position has to be careful with what they share and when they share. There was probably truth in what they say because there are pros and cons to making this kind of move. Both are true but you have to weigh them. People like Chapo love to get attention and responses out of people so they only look at the positives. And most of those positives seem to be tied to their own self worth based on tying themselves to an FBS program.

You definitely have more insight than most, and I expect knowledge you are smart enough to not share. My observations are anecdotal based on conversations I've had during NCAA events involving multiple administrators and coaches. It amazed me how much an AD at a major P5 school knew about the athletic program at NDSU. And this was before the full move to FCS.

I'm pretty confident there is interest in NDSU joining an FBS conference. I'm pretty confident there are G5 conferences that would love to have a program like NDSU. But it's not that simple. It's not like the choice we have of whether we want Ruth's Chris or Burger King.

Excellent observations and insight.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post

Dang, you disarmed me with kindness and compliments. I don't even know if the compliments were sarcastic, but I'll take them.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    Dang, you disarmed me with kindness and compliments. I don't even know if the compliments were sarcastic, but I'll take them.
    Very sincere. Big difference between logical statements and narcissistic blabbering.

Think its time we find a way to make Burger King work...
    College of Business Alumnus

As with most everything in life, a move to FBS almost certainly will come down to money. Out of curiosity, I dug around the internet for data on football-related expenses for FBS and FCS schools. Found a great resource, the Knight Commission's website. It has lots of informative databases. Here's the address: https://www.knightcommission.org/

Below are football expenses for the 11 Mountain West schools plus NDSU's expenses. The amounts are from 2019, the most recent year for which data were available.

BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY $19,525,349
    CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY-FRESNO $16,803,337
    COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY $25,082,903
    NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY $6,048,728
    SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY $16,817,381
    SAN JOSE STATE UNIVERSITY $9,791,910
    UNITED STATES AIR FORCE ACADEMY $9,798,847
    UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII AT MANOA $13,201,627
    UNIVERSITY OF NEVADA-LAS VEGAS $10,174,916
    UNIVERSITY OF NEVADA-RENO $10,710,232
    UNIVERSITY OF WYOMING $13,815,185
    UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY $13,245,614

CUSTOM COMPARISON GROUP MEDIAN $13,223,621

If NDSU wanted to reach the median for the conference, it would have to slightly more than double its current expenses. I have no idea if that's doable on an annual basis. Others on this board would have a much better idea of where the additional money would come from.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading this thread and thought others might find these dollar figures interesting. Have at it.
    Last edited by Bison08; 06-17-2021 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison08 View Post
    As with most everything in life, a move to FBS almost certainly will come down to money. Out of curiosity, I dug around the internet for data on football-related expenses for FBS and FCS schools. Found a great resource, the Knight Commission's website. It has lots of informative databases. Here's the address: https://www.knightcommission.org/

Below are football expenses for the 11 Mountain West schools plus NDSU's expenses. The amounts are from 2019, the most recent year for which data were available.

BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY $19,525,349
    CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY-FRESNO$16,803,337
    COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY $25,082,903
    NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY $6,048,728
    SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY $16,817,381
    SAN JOSE STATE UNIVERSITY $9,791,910
    UNITED STATES AIR FORCE ACADEMY $9,798,847
    UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII AT MANOA $13,201,627
    UNIVERSITY OF NEVADA-LAS VEGAS $10,174,916
    UNIVERSITY OF NEVADA-RENO $10,710,232
    UNIVERSITY OF WYOMING $13,815,185
    UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY $13,245,614

CUSTOM COMPARISON GROUP MEDIAN$13,223,621

If NDSU wanted to reach the median amount for the conference, it would have to slightly more than double its current expenses. I have no idea if that's doable on an annual basis. Others on this board would have a much better idea of where the additional money would come from.

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading this thread and thought others might find these dollar figures interesting. Have at it.
    I don't think a move to FBS happens without financial backing from the state. I really mean dedicated, focused funding specifically for FBS.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I don't think a move to FBS happens without financial backing from the state. I really mean dedicated, focused funding specifically for FBS.

Then it’s not happening.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post

You would need to account for additional revenue the team would get from being in an FBS conference, especially if other sports move with it. I don't know what that is but it would definitely be an increase in what they get today. I also expect fundraising would increase. The state wouldn't be responsible for all of it. I'm not even sure how much tax dollars fund athletic departments.