Page 329 of 412 FirstFirst ... 229279319327328329330331339379 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,290 of 4114

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

  1. #3281
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    2,650

    Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I'm not talking about the teams flying. I'm talking about family members attending games. Many will want to travel often to see their kids play. They aren't going to fly out west every week. But they could drive to Carbondale or Cedar Falls or Macomb. The school impact would be more flights than bus trips but that would be an issue regardless of which FBS conference the Bison joined. That probably has more impact on the decision to move to FBS in general.

    It's fact that UND struggled to compete for recruits because of the footprint of where they played their games. I expect them to have much more success now that they are in the Summit/MVFC. Whether you like it or not, NDSU's location is a factor that makes all of this more difficult than if they were in a different geography.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Is your point that we won’t be able to recruit because parents want their kids playing close by? Do you really think the parents are going to tell their kids to not go to NDSU because they’ll have to fly to a couple more games each year than they would’ve if they would’ve stayed FCS? Do you even think kids today care how their parents get to games? The vast majority of our kids are either from outside the area or are going to NDSU when we come knocking (especially if we are MW).

    Even biting that it does matter, the MW is still split up into divisions. Wyoming is playing one game in California this fall. I suspect that’s pretty typical for folks in the mountain division. To say that Missouri state, Youngstown, indy state, so ill aren’t far away but Colorado, Wyoming or Idaho are is tough.

    As far as UND, they couldn’t recruit because they were the fourth horse to the region’s watering hole. IMO their inability to recruit up til now is probably much more a lack of resources, bad leadership and lack of tradition/fan base than anything. If NDSU were in the mountain west we wouldn’t be losing recruits to SDSU/UNI on the basis of NDSU playing 1/3 of their games out west.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one week later*


  2. #3282
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fifty Lakes, MN
    Posts
    31,846

    Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Is your point that we wonít be able to recruit because parents want their kids playing close by? Do you really think the parents are going to tell their kids to not go to NDSU because theyíll have to fly to a couple more games each year than they wouldíve if they wouldíve stayed FCS? Do you even think kids today care how their parents get to games? The vast majority of our kids are either from outside the area or are going to NDSU when we come knocking (especially if we are MW).

    Even biting that it does matter, the MW is still split up into divisions. Wyoming is playing one game in California this fall. I suspect thatís pretty typical for folks in the mountain division. To say that Missouri state, Youngstown, indy state, so ill arenít far away but Colorado, Wyoming or Idaho are is tough.

    As far as UND, they couldnít recruit because they were the fourth horse to the regionís watering hole. IMO their inability to recruit up til now is probably much more a lack of resources, bad leadership and lack of tradition/fan base than anything. If NDSU were in the mountain west we wouldnít be losing recruits to SDSU/UNI on the basis of NDSU playing 1/3 of their games out west.
    Its part of the recruiting pitch. Just like it is for BB. How much it comes in to play I dont know. But how many kids leave NDSU and the excuse is they want to be closer to home?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

    When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

  3. #3283
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    2,650

    Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Its part of the recruiting pitch. Just like it is for BB. How much it comes in to play I dont know. But how many kids leave NDSU and the excuse is they want to be closer to home?
    Sure, I can see the part of the recruiting pitch that’s fair. If I’m an FBS caliber kid and Bubba is in my living room telling me to spurn NDSU so I can play my road games in Brookings and Vermillion vs. Boise and Colorado Springs he’ll be outta the house before he can give me my offer.

    I’m not sure how many kids we really lose to actually wanting to be closer to home. Seems like most of those kids end up playing D2 ball with limited success anyways. It’s not like we’re dropping kids to go home and play at Sam Houston where they end up being a roaring success.

    On the flip side, I will say that I agree with this point for all non-football sports. Those seasons are a minimum of 16 conference games and those games don’t carry as much weight as football due to the number of games played.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one week later*


  4. #3284
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    3,433

    Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Sure, I can see the part of the recruiting pitch thatís fair. If Iím an FBS caliber kid and Bubba is in my living room telling me to spurn NDSU so I can play my road games in Brookings and Vermillion vs. Boise and Colorado Springs heíll be outta the house before he can give me my offer.

    Iím not sure how many kids we really lose to actually wanting to be closer to home. Seems like most of those kids end up playing D2 ball with limited success anyways. Itís not like weíre dropping kids to go home and play at Sam Houston where they end up being a roaring success.

    On the flip side, I will say that I agree with this point for all non-football sports. Those seasons are a minimum of 16 conference games and those games donít carry as much weight as football due to the number of games played.
    If we are competing against UNI and UND for recruits after we join the MW we are in even more trouble than I described. We would them be competing even more against MAC schools in our current recruiting footprint. In the MW we would need to change our recruiting footprint to Denver, Seattle, SLC, etc. We could still do ok in Minneapolis because it's a trip for them to get anywhere in the MAC but Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois have much easier trips to road games. It does matter to many.

    A very good friend has a son that transferred from a B1G school. NDSU and JMU were both very interested. He chose EKU because it was closer to home and easier for dad to see most of his games. His goal is NFL and he could get that exposure anywhere not that he gets to play the position he wants to play. This friend also consults many recruits (he was a D1 athlete and coaches many track stars who also play football and basketball). He knows what recruits value. NDSU is a great option for many but geography is a big hurdle.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  5. #3285
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Why? Do you have a warrant?
    Posts
    4,368
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    If we are competing against UNI and UND for recruits after we join the MW we are in even more trouble than I described. We would them be competing even more against MAC schools in our current recruiting footprint. In the MW we would need to change our recruiting footprint to Denver, Seattle, SLC, etc. We could still do ok in Minneapolis because it's a trip for them to get anywhere in the MAC but Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois have much easier trips to road games. It does matter to many.

    A very good friend has a son that transferred from a B1G school. NDSU and JMU were both very interested. He chose EKU because it was closer to home and easier for dad to see most of his games. His goal is NFL and he could get that exposure anywhere not that he gets to play the position he wants to play. This friend also consults many recruits (he was a D1 athlete and coaches many track stars who also play football and basketball). He knows what recruits value. NDSU is a great option for many but geography is a big hurdle.

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I recall reading that some P5's were starting to focus more on winning over....MOM. Something about how dads (if they are even around) might have a preference but will let the kid make up his mind. Moms* apparently (perhaps only anecdotally) develop pretty strong opinions... Tend to focus more on the "fit" and if they trust the staff to take the reins on raising a young man.

    * love them viral videos of moms getting pissed at their sons for choosing the wrong school on signing day.
    College of Business Alumnus

  6. #3286
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    20,451
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

    let's just go FBS ready. Have a press conference, make a
    a huge scene. get publicity.
    I WANT TO THANK TONY < JAIL & EL CHAPO DONT MIX > FBS or BUST enough with this small timey stuff, "Bring on the Competition" is our motto right?

  7. #3287
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Fifty Lakes, MN
    Posts
    31,846

    Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

    Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    let's just go FBS ready. Have a press conference, make a
    a huge scene. get publicity.
    All dressed up and no place to go. You may not care acting the fool all the time but Im sure NDSU doesnt want that same look.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

    When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

  8. #3288
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Why? Do you have a warrant?
    Posts
    4,368
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    All dressed up and no place to go. You may not care acting the fool all the time but Im sure NDSU doesnt want that same look.
    Would be pretty embarrassing to show up to prom without a date.

    Gotta get a date lined up first.
    College of Business Alumnus

  9. #3289
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,405
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si....model-favorite

    Find the effing prom date. Fuck FCS.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

  10. #3290
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    2,650

    Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Would be pretty embarrassing to show up to prom without a date.

    Gotta get a date lined up first.
    Nothing wrong with showing a little leg to hook a date though eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one week later*


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •