Page 289 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 1892392792872882892902912993393897891289 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,890 of 13491

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    If Road says it, it's true. This is where we are at. No FBS conference, and no FBS teams willing to play us.

Side note, but if I'm a high school football player right now, at any level, NDSU would be near the top of my choice of schools to play for. Want to play for a championship? NDSU. Want to play with winners instead of losers? NDSU. Character, leadership, faith, athletics? NDSU. Yeah, but FCS players don't get drafted. ...Welcome to the #2 overall pick of the draft, that argument holds no weight anymore NDSU.

We may not be in an FBS conference, but our own team is a top 25 team year in and year out without the label. I am grateful for the ability to watch a team that is full of studs and future NFL players. Even if our competition is FCS, our own team is elite.

Actually if your are nationally on the boards of every FBS team and travel around the country and talk to big time college football fans. NDSU's label right now is "They would rather be trophy chasers than buck up and move up to FBS"

sorry, that's the perception out there. Its time to kick the dam door down and do it.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Actually if your are nationally on the boards of every FBS team and travel around the country and talk to big time college football fans. NDSU's label right now is "They would rather be trophy chasers than buck up and move up to FBS"

sorry, that's the perception out there. Its time to kick the dam door down and do it.
    This is true.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I don't generally agree with Lakes....but in this instance he's 100% accurate. At the FCS level, NDSU will always be the cute little team that doesn't want to commit to play "real" football.

Fans on this board know that we could compete with most teams BUT their perception of us isn't wrong. We are happy staying FCS because we like to talk about our winning tradition especially our national titles.

The problem is that the football community doesn't value those trophies. We are the only people who care about those.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    I don't generally agree with Lakes....but in this instance he's 100% accurate. At the FCS level, NDSU will always be the cute little team that doesn't want to commit to play "real" football.

Fans on this board know that we could compete with most teams BUT their perception of us isn't wrong. We are happy staying FCS because we like to talk about our winning tradition especially our national titles.

The problem is that the football community doesn't value those trophies. We are the only people who care about those.
    Fact is the rest of the country doesnt feel the way he explained it. I travel a lot and talk football a lot because Im always wearing NDSU stuff and I have never had any one disparage NDSU for being FCS. Many have asked why we dont just move up, When I explain that dont just move and explain many of the rules and requirements, money and the fact that you have to be in a conference they all get it. Most would say--yeah---why would any conference invite you so they could get their asses kicked.

What you are agreeing with is the thought of going FBS. Lakes post is about what others perceive us because we havent.

I personally dont give a shit what others think. Im pretty comfortable knowing what this program is all about.
    Last edited by 56BISON73; 08-18-2020 at 02:59 AM.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Well to me the fact that NDSU can not schedule a game against an FBS opponent is because we are FCS, mind you the best FCS but FCS non the less. The media in some cases still discredits NDSU and for sure those on school boards and conference boards. Sure I know the type that’s on there but it’s still holds true. Hero Sports , Bleacher Report and a like are full of this type of criticism of NDSU. (Still know the type of people) but it’s still there and it’s heavy. There are obviously a lot of complimentary fans out there and I’ve met a few but I’ve also visit friends in certain parts of the country and while talking with their friends the point sounds true.

It’s a bitch of a problem when you have to spend around $300k just to have a OOC FCS school come to Fargo and get black balled by most of the P5 ranks and virtually all of the G5. There are obviously some very real hurdles but these last few weeks has been rough. You have around 50 FBS schools that canceled leading up to openings in schedules all over the country and that doesn’t include FCS conference and schools that canceled leading to more open dates yet NDSU couldn’t scratch 3 games between to 2 divisions.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Fact is the rest of the country doesnt feel the way he explained it. I travel a lot and talk football a lot because Im always wearing NDSU stuff and I have never had any one disparage NDSU for being FCS. Many have asked why we dont just move up, When I explain that dont just move and explain many of the rules and requirements, money and the fact that you have to be in a conference they all get it. Most would say--yeah---why would any conference invite you so they could get their asses kicked.

What you are agreeing with is the thought of going FBS. Lakes post is about what others perceive us because we havent.

I personally dont give a shit what others think. Im pretty comfortable knowing what this program is all about.
    I hate to get into a pissing match but the country (as a whole) doesn't give a shit about FCS football. There are challenges to going FBS, but at this level of football (and with our decade+ of success), fans/media are no longer amazed at our success but instead criticize because they believe that we're just beating up on JV teams (which we are with the exception of about 4 schools).

Our national trophies are now relegated to being the best of 5 schools. Every year we should be in the final four in the playoffs until we decide that we don't want to be there.

NDSU has always prided itself in its championship mentality. That mentality is not just about winning trophies. It's about being the BEST of the BEST. Due to no fault of our own, we are not given that opportunity anymore. Until we decide to make a change we will always be the team that chooses to PLAY DOWN.

The truth cannot be controversial.

PL's sentiment is the oh golly gee shucks, small timey thinking that goes on way too much in North Dakota.

why isn't NDSU's aspirations higher? Why are we content with what we have?

NDSU is so Dominate at the FCS level that it's actually hurting us now... the fatigue, the plateau, the outside looking down at us for trophy chasing now.

YES we need an invitation, YES we need more revenue/fundraising, YES we need more assistance from our own state.

Dean Bresciani only has 3-4 years left here before he retires off into the sunset, what a PERFECT time to go after more funding at the state level to help bolster and make NDSU more appealing for an invite into a FBS conference?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Dean Bresciani only has 3-4 years left here before he retires off into the sunset, what a PERFECT time to go after more funding at the state level to help bolster and make NDSU more appealing for an invite into a FBS conference?
    Apparently you haven't paid attention to North Dakota politics for the past 40+ years.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Apparently you haven't paid attention to North Dakota politics for the past 40+ years.
    There certainly are barriers to entry with the FBS but its becoming more and more clear to many of us that our PEERS are not FCS schools. There are challenges to the FBS but that's not to say that there are not equally difficult challenges by staying at our current level. The ability to find games that are meaningful and pay the bills while staying in the FCS may become more and more problematic.

The biggest step in potentially making a move is to admit that you are considering it. Many other FCS schools have done that. Some have jumped and some have not. At a minimum though it should be studied so that it is known that we are looking into it.

Without an official study no one really knows what it would take - everyone is an armchair AD and likes to spout off reasons and numbers that are based on nothing more than their own assumptions.

An official study would help us better understand what it would take and would answer many of the questions like:

How much more money would it take if moving all sports or just football?
    Do we really need a conference? If not, what does that mean to our budget?
    What about the stadium? Does it matter and if a replacement is needed is that a short term or a long term need?
    What conferences might be interested if any?
    Is there any TV money available?
    etc, etc, etc.

All the pro FBS crowd is asking is to do the feasibility study. Could we make it work and would the change be worth it?