Page 241 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 1411912312392402412422432512913417411241 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: NDSU American Athletic Conference?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBison View Post
    This isn't a case to move up now, but I just had a vision of how things could decline the longer a move takes to develop.

NDSU's funding stagnates or declines (as it does periodically) and college leadership considers the lessened fan interest in football, despite the continuing success of the program on the field. Knowing that NDSU can continue to beat 90% of FCS even with no new, or even fewer, resources, the administration's commitment, fiscal and other, declines. The team would still win, but the number of wins each year could be expected to decline as parity returns to FCS. After a few more years, no one here would be talking FBS.

Hope this is just my dystopian nightmare...
    I can say with 100% confidence this will never happen. I went back to look at some "where were we at 10 years ago" threads towards the tail end of that awful 2009 season and there was plenty of FBS chatter then... for a football team that was a 3-8 MVFC bottom feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickVic View Post
    This is where I'm at guy, well stated---------many. Have said wait until 2024 when tv contracts and current playoff contracts are up, wait for the p5/g5 slip then see what happens--------but what happens if the expand the playoffs to a "March madness" contract where Cinderella gets a shot? Good luck moving up after that....the stakes are high and so am I!!! Really enjoying these discussions by the way, keep it up bisonville!
    If this would happen (and I have little confidence that the P5 would ever allow it) NDSU would become a sought after addition to any G5 conference because then the quality of the team/program becomes a top priority for conferences regardless of home market, geography, etc.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

We need to keep in mind that with the Soy and Sugar beet catastrophes that the next 2-3 years might not be good for donations and fund raising

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    So what do you say to millions of fans of UCLA, Arizona , Iowa, Tennessee etc. Teams that will NEVER win a National Title? should they drop down to FCS so they can win championships?

and once again the AAC would be FOOTBALL ONLY.

MAC/MWC would be for all sports (which would help our other sports too!) can you imagine the jump in talent?
    ummm.... what?
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I can say with 100% confidence this will never happen. I went back to look at some "where were we at 10 years ago" threads towards the tail end of that awful 2009 season and there was plenty of FBS chatter then... for a football team that was a 3-8 MVFC bottom feeder.

If this would happen (and I have little confidence that the P5 would ever allow it) NDSU would become a sought after addition to any G5 conference because then the quality of the team/program becomes a top priority for conferences regardless of home market, geography, etc.
    So it is about "competition"? I would think that unlike basketball where you need a number of teams to fill 30 game schedules, football conferences would b alot more protective of there "share"-------i really have no idea how any of this works, but I just don't see how kicking out half the shools at the highest level of division 1 football makes any sense (a p5\g5 "split")

So it is about "competition"? I would think that unlike basketball where you need a number of teams to fill 30 game schedules, football conferences would b alot more protective of there "share"-------i really have no idea how any of this works, but I just don't see how kicking out half the shools at the highest level of division 1 football makes any sense (a p5\g5 "split")
    I think if they change the playoff so a G5 conference could get an automatic bid like you suggested it helps NDSU's pitch to G5 conferences. I don't think the quality of the team/program plays as big of a factor now as it would in that scenario.

This is where I'm at guy, well stated---------many. Have said wait until 2024 when tv contracts and current playoff contracts are up, wait for the p5/g5 slip then see what happens--------but what happens if the expand the playoffs to a "March madness" contract where Cinderella gets a shot? Good luck moving up after that....the stakes are high and so am I!!! Really enjoying these discussions by the way, keep it up bisonville!
    Remember the P5 has already broken away. And you are correct--when the G5 finds out what there cut is they may finally realize that they are nothing more than the red head step child being paid to go to their corner and STFU. If they continue in that roll there will be no realignment as they will be happy with their token bowl games and conference payouts and I dont think they are going to want to share..
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I think if they change the playoff so a G5 conference could get an automatic bid like you suggested it helps NDSU's pitch to G5 conferences. I don't think the quality of the team/program plays as big of a factor now as it would in that scenario.
    Your either on to something or on something professor, either way I like it! So in a "win and your in" landscape of major college football, smaller conferences would want a program like ndsu in there ranks in hopes of advancing and earning more money for all (think Gonzaga)

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Remember the P5 has already broken away. And you are correct--when the G5 finds out what there cut is they may finally realize that they are nothing more than the red head step child being paid to go to their corner and STFU. If they continue in that roll there will be no realignment as they will be happy with their token bowl games and conference payouts and I dont think they are going to want to share..
    I see what your saying but I'm looking at the "March madness" model-------people take days off work 2 watch that! U don't think a football tourney with the same model couldn't succeed? In December, when it's already proving people will watch any and all bowls "just because"?

I see what your saying but I'm looking at the "March madness" model-------people take days off work 2 watch that! U don't think a football tourney with the same model couldn't succeed? In December, when it's already proving people will watch any and all bowls "just because"?
    It could but that would be a lot of football. AND you have to deal with the old boy network---bowl games. They are the reason we dont have a real playoff.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    It could but that would be a lot of football. AND you have to deal with the old boy network---bowl games. They are the reason we dont have a real playoff.
    It's also "a lot of basketball" (to the tune of billions)-------just think that 1st Saturday 4 games on 4 different networks at 11 3 and 7-------theres your sweet 16 right there

It's also "a lot of basketball" (to the tune of billions)-------just think that 1st Saturday 4 games on 4 different networks at 11 3 and 7-------theres your sweet 16 right there
    I like it Slick! If they want to keep their precious bowls a 24 team FBS playoff could be played over 22 bowl games in 4 weekends to get down to the championship game. They could even keep their New Years Six games separate and just select them from teams already eliminated in the playoffs.