Page 239 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 1391892292372382392402412492893397391239 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,390 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Scottie. Plenty of options out there .

Legacy fund has 6.5 Billion in it. Wouldn't giving money to a state funded on campus 42,000 football stadium help the state?
    If there were 100 ideas of how to spend the Legacy fund money, I guarantee this idea would be ranked dead last.

533 In a row

Default Re: NDSU American Athletic Conference?

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    The plan in summary:

1. Fund and build the IPF
    2. Grow basketball funding/program
    3. Lay the ground work for the next football stadium

Those are occurring currently to various degrees and we are progressing. No disagreement from me there. However, these are major investments that will take time and money to come to fruition.

Where I do have more concerns is that I believe the market is changing faster than the current administration or anyone, including myself, was expecting. It is being dismissed that the past two games were an anomaly because of hunting/harvest/cold weather. That is plausible and a definite possibility. However, the trend goes back further than that. Professor Chaos, you were on this forum last year pointing out the dip in playoff attendance last year specifically. This isn't something that is only caused by hunting/harvest/cold weather. This is a result of the perceived lack of competition in FCS. How does the administration address this and find ways to overcome that perception. Step 1 above can likely be achieved with or without any major changes as it sounds like a fair amount of the fundraising for the IPF is in place. However, Step 2 and Step 3 are absolutely contingent on continued fan support, fundraising, and buzz around this program. What happens if the perceived lack of competition contributes to a quicker decline in fan support and fundraising resulting in Steps 2 and 3 not being achieved. No one here is questioning the commitment of the current supporters/donors of the program. My concern is that CAS, 56BISON73, Professor Chaos and others like them have helped to build what we see now, Thank you. However, they are not the ones that will take us to the next level alone. We need the newly acquired fans that hopped on the bandwagon in the past decade to continue to grow their loyalty in order to push the schools academic and athletic brand to new heights. I'm worried that is not possible with FCS in it's current state. We better hope that SDSU, UND, JMU, Montana, Montana St. and others are willing to chase us down. If they are not, unfortunately this trend is going to continue.
    We also need to our academic buildings and academic prestige. This is important in increasing our National Brand academically and athletically.
    Hail the BISON!!!

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by fmfantasy View Post
    the gap will increase and this dynasty isn't going to just end anytime soon.. what are we now 128-8 or something when the dynasty began? lets say 50 odd games left in treys career- what's the over under on record even with the fbs schools? 45-5? so that puts us with at least 10 out of 12 titles and roughly a 170-15 in 12 seasons

NDSU will remain the only serious option for talent to go to. so we wont just drop off like the 1980s when know one outside the tristate ever heard of us after all those titles in D2.

Treys senior year 2022-23 at the worst they need to have a plan to jump even if its independent.. we will for sure have done everything remotely possible in FCS at that time.
    That's the reason why talent is coming here vs going MAC or MW. Athletes want to win championships. They want rings and they want banners and they want to hoist trophies. They want to be considered the best. They dont want to go to Akron Ohio or Dekalb Illinois or Las Cruces New Mexico and win 24 games in their whole college carrier when they can come here and win 15-16 games a year and leave with multiple natty rings. And they'll cherish those rings and show them off and hold them near and dear to their heart because the only thing those rings signify is that they were the best.

Im sure CAS wears his rings from his DII titles (as he damn well should). I know Scott Fuchs had his out on display, as well as the ones he won with SIU. Those things mean a shit load to athletes and they dont really GAF is someone they dont even know in another area of the country knows who they are or where they play.

Kids are coming to NDSU because they want to be the best.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    The plan in summary:

1. Fund and build the IPF
    2. Grow basketball funding/program
    3. Lay the ground work for the next football stadium

Those are occurring currently to various degrees and we are progressing. No disagreement from me there. However, these are major investments that will take time and money to come to fruition.

Where I do have more concerns is that I believe the market is changing faster than the current administration or anyone, including myself, was expecting. It is being dismissed that the past two games were an anomaly because of hunting/harvest/cold weather. That is plausible and a definite possibility. However, the trend goes back further than that. Professor Chaos, you were on this forum last year pointing out the dip in playoff attendance last year specifically. This isn't something that is only caused by hunting/harvest/cold weather. This is a result of the perceived lack of competition in FCS. How does the administration address this and find ways to overcome that perception. Step 1 above can likely be achieved with or without any major changes as it sounds like a fair amount of the fundraising for the IPF is in place. However, Step 2 and Step 3 are absolutely contingent on continued fan support, fundraising, and buzz around this program. What happens if the perceived lack of competition contributes to a quicker decline in fan support and fundraising resulting in Steps 2 and 3 not being achieved. No one here is questioning the commitment of the current supporters/donors of the program. My concern is that CAS, 56BISON73, Professor Chaos and others like them have helped to build what we see now, Thank you. However, they are not the ones that will take us to the next level alone. We need the newly acquired fans that hopped on the bandwagon in the past decade to continue to grow their loyalty in order to push the schools academic and athletic brand to new heights. I'm worried that is not possible with FCS in it's current state. We better hope that SDSU, UND, JMU, Montana, Montana St. and others are willing to chase us down. If they are not, unfortunately this trend is going to continue.
    My worry is that if everything you're saying is true how long before fans become bored with New Mexico, Akron, Nevada, Bowling Green, etc? Maybe they'd already be bored with those teams? Are fans becoming bored with winning or are they just becoming bored with going to live college football and/or the increasing costs associated with it (ticket prices have gone up considerably in the last 6 years)? I pointed out earlier in this thread that App St and Georgia Southern had higher attendance averages their last year as postseason eligible FCS schools in 2012 than they did last year.

Your point about needing a new wave of fans/donors is a valid one but that needs to comes from young alumni correct? Student interest is waning even more than general fan interest is and that's a problem everywhere even in places like Alabama. I don't think FBS is the cure all for this and if it isn't you've just invested even more into a product whose returns are leveling off or diminishing from a fan interest/investment standpoint.

That's why I'd really like to see a new venue before an FBS move is made. Flood the market with lower price point seats allowing younger fans with more easily attainable and affordable opportunities for tickets. I think a right sized stadium is one that'll accommodate demand for the biggest games not one that'll still sell out even for the least hyped games. In that scenario you've got potential to really grow ticket revenue and donation revenue. Without that you're going to have to make up the gap with student fees and school funds and good luck trying to crack that egg.

But, if an opportunity arises to join a conference like the MWC or AAC, NDSU needs to put themselves in the best position to be able to make that jump. If that opportunity comes next year there's going to need to be some hard conversations about increasing revenue streams from fans, donors, students, and the school. If that opportunity doesn't come for 10 years then we've got plenty of work to do in the meantime in order to position ourselves better to make that jump.

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    I would agree- Just because you're good at football- doesnt mean you're ready to jump as a program (funding facilities conference etc). however I think success is an indicator that you DO have those things. We do have good funding, and facilities (no conference). To this point, we are in a better spot with funding and facilities than MANY who have jumped before us- many of which who have been successful and many more who have NOT been successful. Even the most successful Programs in FCS who had moved up moved up with less funding, and less success on the field (BUT THEY HAD A CONFERENCE).

Success on the field doesnt necessarily mean you're ready, but it is a symptom of having the right "vitals" to jump. There's defnitely not a lack of support and funding. Out of pocket donations to the athletic program are virtually the best in the FCS, correct? Last I heard, we would be top half of the MAC right now when it comes to Booster club donations. If we had just a median Student fees for athletics (not suggesting we should, just stating a fact) our athletic budget would be more than sufficient for MAC.
    People act like we're light years away from the funding side, and its simply not true.

To me it all comes down to a conference- and thats the hardest one to fix because we dont have control. NDSU has done a great job of improving the rest of the "vitals" over the last decade to make us more attractive for a potential jump.

I dont think the P5 will break off, but I think once the playoff expands there will be a conference shuffle that will likely affect NDSU. who knows
    I am waiting for you to show where I said stay FCS. In lieu of that I will just take it as a tacit admission you made it up.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    I am waiting for you to show where I said stay FCS. In lieu of that I will just take it as a tacit admission you made it up.
    Hes our new drama queen. Its what they do.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

If we are seeking a full acceptance into a conference, we also have to meet the academic standards. Which include research dollars, research facilities, and overall academic ranking. While football is on forefront, all of the behind the scenes requirements have to match up as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Sue are people....not mascots!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kingbison View Post
    If we are seeking a full acceptance into a conference, we also have to meet the academic standards. Which include research dollars, research facilities, and overall academic ranking. While football is on forefront, all of the behind the scenes requirements have to match up as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    100%.........
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    My worry is that if everything you're saying is true how long before fans become bored with New Mexico, Akron, Nevada, Bowling Green, etc? Maybe they'd already be bored with those teams? Are fans becoming bored with winning or are they just becoming bored with going to live college football and/or the increasing costs associated with it (ticket prices have gone up considerably in the last 6 years)? I pointed out earlier in this thread that App St and Georgia Southern had higher attendance averages their last year as postseason eligible FCS schools in 2012 than they did last year.

Your point about needing a new wave of fans/donors is a valid one but that needs to comes from young alumni correct? Student interest is waning even more than general fan interest is and that's a problem everywhere even in places like Alabama. I don't think FBS is the cure all for this and if it isn't you've just invested even more into a product whose returns are leveling off or diminishing from a fan interest/investment standpoint.

That's why I'd really like to see a new venue before an FBS move is made. Flood the market with lower price point seats allowing younger fans with more easily attainable and affordable opportunities for tickets. I think a right sized stadium is one that'll accommodate demand for the biggest games not one that'll still sell out even for the least hyped games. In that scenario you've got potential to really grow ticket revenue and donation revenue. Without that you're going to have to make up the gap with student fees and school funds and good luck trying to crack that egg.

But, if an opportunity arises to join a conference like the MWC or AAC, NDSU needs to put themselves in the best position to be able to make that jump. If that opportunity comes next year there's going to need to be some hard conversations about increasing revenue streams from fans, donors, students, and the school. If that opportunity doesn't come for 10 years then we've got plenty of work to do in the meantime in order to position ourselves better to make that jump.
    I agree with you. Again, I'm not advocating for a move to FBS at all costs. The new wave of donors comes from young alumni, relatively speaking. Yes we need to get students engaged in NDSU Athletics. But we also need to keep others who have been brought back into the fold over the past decade engaged. I have mentioned previously that the move to FCS and the success over the past decade plus is what re-connected me with the school. I'm not alone in that group. I have probably reconnected more than some and I'm not planning on going anywhere. However, I have friends who 5 years ago would absolutely go to a watch party with me or try to attend a game a year with me. They have begun to lose interest. Is that because of ticket price increases? Yes. Is it because it is hard for some who don't have season tickets to get tickets on August 1st? Yes. Is it difficult for them to change their plans last minute on a Friday if tickets become available? Yes. However, they were just a few short years ago doing all of those things. I think the combination of those items along with the perceived lack of competition in the FCS creates a storm of events that are contributing to the recent decline. Maybe it will end up being temporary. I hope so, but I fear that this is more of a long term trend unless something changes. I would like to believe there are things that can be done that don't involve a move to FBS.

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    If there were 100 ideas of how to spend the Legacy fund money, I guarantee this idea would be ranked dead last.
    Idk road... I could come up with some pretty bad ideas.

Like building a 25 acre splash pad or maybe a 7th youth hockey arena in West Fargo... maybe Chapo still wins.