Page 218 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 1181682082162172182192202282683187181218 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: NDSU American Athletic Conference?

another thing too wouldn't a FBS NDSU decimate the MVFC? Those extra 22 scholly would basically be the 2 best players off of those teams rosters..

and once NDSU leaves the FCS is nothing... even on the 1/million chance SDSU goes on to win 5 in a row, beats multiple big 10 schools and puts a guy in the #2 slot in the NFL draft... the national media would be " been there done that"

Quote Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
    Honestly I really dislike the idea of a “move up” MVFC. Most of those teams aren’t competitive with NDSU as it is (UNI included), so they likely won’t be at a higher level nor are they in any position whatsoever to play up. Also really dislike the idea of 4 other new FBS teams with an extra 22 scholarships to give in a sparely populated Midwest. The recruiting will become diluted at some point, and we’d all be talking about following Idaho’s lead. Right now NDSU pulls the recruits and everyone else picks up the table scraps, and there is plenty to go around. I’d prefer to move up, with the other teams staying in FCS where they are more competitive.

No conference available and no money trees means we wait. Maybe some day the stars will align. If a G5 realignment happened, NDSU would likely be a very strong candidate. That was Gene Taylor’s vision from the start, but it will just take more time than we’d like
    It's not really 22 more scholarship players. Its 22 more scholarships.

FCS let's you offer 63 scholarships to up to 85 kids I think. FBS is 85 full rides. I dont see how that would negatively impact NDSU, though I am sure someone has given that more thought than I have.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    What you and others like you won't accept is that there are very few "FCS Forever" fans. There's a small group that says "No FBS without a playoff", but the vast majority of those you ridicule would be for FBS if a viable option was available. You call them shortsighted, but you are just as shortsighted when you say NDSU should go FBS right now with no plan or option in place to make it happen. You think that if NDSU were to announce they were going FBS, a conference invites from all over would magically appear just because FBS conferences would be falling over each other to let NDSU in. It's just not the case.

Most of us would like FBS at this point, but the window isn't open. All we can do for the moment is be ready for that moment. It might happen in a year; it might take five; it might take ten. I think it will be closer to five than ten, but who knows.

The only thing that will suck when NDSU does go FBS is the idiots that claim they were right all along and that everyone else was wrong. When the reality will be the opposite.

You dont think there are invites now then what happens with any kind of decline? If everyone got on board and was vocal to the administration they would find a way into the FBS or just go independent... but that takes courage and putting it on the line... a lot easier to sit back and just go 16-0 every year and keep your jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I’m all for moving up, but if you’re going to have a serious discussion about it you need to be realistic. It would involve a MAC, Sun Belt, MWC (God I hope MWC) level conference. You can start talking about breaking into the top level of FBS after about a decade of building our brand at the FBS level, the population of FM hopefully doubling, improved academic prestige and better TV (or virtual reality at that point??) market base.
    I understand why some(most?) would prefer the MWC, but I would actually prefer the MAC. I know it's not as sexy, but I'd view as a stepping stone conference. Get our foot in the door, make some waves, try for something better within ten years. I like the MAC because of Central Time Zone games, easier travel, a matching recruiting footprint, and that it would probably be a touch easier to dominate the conference quickly for good bowl games. Since we'd like to move on quickly, the faster we could make an FBS name for ourselves, the better.

But what I'd like to see don't mean squat. What matters is what the MAC, MWC & Sun Belt want. And right now, that ain't us. We'll see how things start to shake out as we get closer to 2025 and the renewal of the CFP agreement as well as a bunch of P5 media deals.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Strike while the iron is hot

exactly... what if we wait for the G5 split and due to injuries or god knows what we go like 9-4 and lose in the quarters and have 10K attendance... try explaining that to a FBS conference why they should take us now? its over..

Quote Originally Posted by fmfantasy View Post
    another thing too wouldn't a FBS NDSU decimate the MVFC? Those extra 22 scholly would basically be the 2 best players off of those teams rosters..

and once NDSU leaves the FCS is nothing... even on the 1/million chance SDSU goes on to win 5 in a row, beats multiple big 10 schools and puts a guy in the #2 slot in the NFL draft... the national media would be " been there done that"
    See previous post, it’s the same amount of players. It’s just more full rides.

As to your second point, go ask an Appy or Georgia Southern fan thinks of our championships.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    It's not really 22 more scholarship players. Its 22 more scholarships.

FCS let's you offer 63 scholarships to up to 85 kids I think. FBS is 85 full rides. I dont see how that would negatively impact NDSU, though I am sure someone has given that more thought than I have.
    Yes, more scholarships, not more players. What would be interesting is how many scholarships would be added for Women's sports. Based on the interest prong NDSU uses, it doesn't have to be a full 22 to match the Men.
    Hail the BISON!!!

It wouldnt change anything. Fcs would go back to what it was before NDSU. Why would you think that the 22 extra would be coming off the MVFC teams??? That cannot be determined. Heck some of those could be filled by players who traditionally would have gone to the bigger school.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Yes, more scholarships, not more players. What would be interesting is how many scholarships would be added for Women's sports. Based on the interest prong NDSU uses, it doesn't have to be a full 22 to match the Men.
    And that also means more schollies for ALL sports which means more $$$$$$$$$. Most havent thought of that. Wheres all that money going to come from. Travel for all those players and teams.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

You dont think there are invites now then what happens with any kind of decline? If everyone got on board and was vocal to the administration they would find a way into the FBS or just go independent... but that takes courage and putting it on the line... a lot easier to sit back and just go 16-0 every year and keep your jobs.
    And that's why those of us that follow this stuff think that guys like you are clueless on this topic. You can count the number of FBS programs that could successfully go independent on one hand, and NDSU ain't one of them. You either need a very large, nationwide, dedicated fanbase(ND, BYU), or you need piles of cash(Liberty). NDSU doesn't have either and won't. Going independent in FBS is not like FCS. People like you point to the DI move and claim the situations are similar, but they're not. You conveniently forget that we had a scheduling alliance back then that we wouldn't have today. And that the money situation in FBS is an order of magnitude greater than FCS. It's just not the same situation.

And that completely ignores the fact that conference decisions are not made based on on-the-field performance.