Page 21 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331711215211021 ... LastLast

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

The only way we are getting an invite to any conference is by which conference ESPN makes send out an invite. That simple. They are the only ones right now buying into NDSU hard. Boise had the blue field, NDSU has Fargo. They see that as a national draw. People are enamored with everything Fargo right now. I don't know how long this wave lasts, but the reality is ESPN keeps sticking their toes in the water not because of the local media market but to see if there is a national draw, like a Boise State.

It's tough to tell without going full Bison on this. Espn3 is really about die-hard football fans and they are probably choosing the MAC game over a MVFC game if they are head to head. If there was a national broadcast, would NDSU draw the casual fan? Boise State does mostly because of the time they are willing to play. There are so many things that have to try out to even know what could work and no one has the time or money to let it all play out.

We may never know and not because it couldn't happen but rather because it won't happen.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

FBS WILL NOT CHANGE ACCORDING TO COLORADO STATE PRES . NDSU NEEDS TO ASSUME NOTHING WILL CHANGE:

People have wondered whether now is a good time to invest in a stadium given concerns about football, attendance trends, and changes within the NCAA. Although my roles on the Mountain West Conference Board and a couple of other responsibilities related to college football nationally give me a bit of insight into these issues.

Having said that, I have my personal beliefs that (to my mind) are consonant with likely outcomes. I think football will continue to be played as a competitive sport, including the intercollegiate level, and I believe it will continue to be immensely popular. I think fluctuations in attendance have more to do with pricing and technology than popularity, and I believe that competitive teams in a modern venue will draw fans to games. I don't see any historical or projected evidence this won't be true at CSU if we field competitive teams. The projected demographic changes for Northern Colorado would also argue that we are not competing for a static audience, and I think that will provide additional opportunities. I believe that the FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) structure will remain intact, and I think the College Football Playoff structure adds to this stability.

While NCAA autonomy changes could make competition for schools outside the Resource 5 conferences a bit more complex, I don't see these changes as being substantially greater than discrepancies that already exist and against which we are already competing
    . On this topic, I think having a facility capable of substantial expansion but also capable of serving the campus well in its present form is an important way to preserve options well into the future for those who will be entrusted with the responsibility of caring for this university after our time has passed. And I do feel that an appropriate on-campus facility capable of sustaining lacrosse, soccer, commencements, convocations, and the like has much more to do with the culture of our campus community than simply football.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

If anybody thinks post #202 makes the case for moving up, they are wrong. It says exactly the opposite. It says we are at the 2nd level of college football which is where we can be truly successful and that the first level isn't going to change.

Trumpster is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Having said that, I have my personal beliefs that (to my mind) are consonant with likely outcomes. I think football will continue to be played as a competitive sport, including the intercollegiate level, and I believe it will continue to be immensely popular. I think fluctuations in attendance have more to do with pricing and technology than popularity, and I believe that competitive teams in a modern venue will draw fans to games. .
    I was just like, wow El Lakes can make sense even if I don't agree with all of his points. Then I realized he was quoting the CSU official.
    Hail Hydra.

Of course he's going to do his best to make sure that FBS stays intact including spinning it to his own fan base so they will donate for a new stadium which is what that seems to be the item is written about. Because the G5 don't want to be in "2nd" tier level. Anyone paying attention to college football knows that likely is still in the air at this point.

At least you brought something new and substantial to table. Kudos. Keep it up!
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Of course he's going to do his best to make sure that FBS stays intact including spinning it to his own fan base so they will donate for a new stadium which is what that seems to be the item is written about. Because the G5 don't want to be in "2nd" tier level. Anyone paying attention to college football knows that likely is still in the air at this point.

At least you brought something new and substantial to table. Kudos. Keep it up!
    Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.
    They could very easily keep all 10 FBS conferences in place just like they are now. The problem that looms is how they deal with the "Playoff" going forward. Four teams is the only structure that ensures even minor relevance for the Bowls. That's a huge "Catch-22" because a 4 team playoff leaves out a minimum of at least one P5 Champion and expanding the field to even 8 teams destroys the rest of the Bowls without offering any assurances to the G5 conferences of getting a team into the field. The term "Dying on the Vine" comes to mind. The G5 become the walking dead at that point.

The Big 5? Pretty soon is will be known as the BIG ONE---THE SEC. IF the SEC can get their dream three teams: Florida State, Oklahoma and Texas, they pretty much have a corner on big time college football. 3/4 of the top ranked teams are from the SEC. How absurd is that.

Check out these FCS teams in the top 25

Charleston Southern
    Alcorn State
    Tennessee State

WOW .. depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    The Big 5? Pretty soon is will be known as the BIG ONE---THE SEC. IF the SEC can get their dream three teams: Florida State, Oklahoma and Texas, they pretty much have a corner on big time college football. 3/4 of the top ranked teams are from the SEC. How absurd is that.
    Not quite as absurd as what the MVFC is doing to FCS.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie