Page 142 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 42921321401411421431441521922426421142 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

1st time weighing in on this beaten horse. I didn't think this until this post season, but with NDSU now going after our 5th straight title, I do think we have entered an unfortunate no man's land between FBS and FCS. The reasons to not go FBS are well discussed - NCAA budget requirements, stadium size, lack of real playoff football, growing inequity and problems between P5 and G5 schools. But after seeing our team and current underclassmen beat up on a Richmond team, there is a real possibility of us going to 7 or 8 straight championship games, even if we may not win them all. We've clearly outgrown FCS as a program, but the FBS requirements and landscape are just not any better at present.

When I think of Laramie, WY, or Lawrence, KS, I see schools and communities we should absolutely be peers to level wise. I think it may actually be a good thing if P5 permanently detaches from G5, with revised NCAA requirements for the G5 schools, hopefully along with a G5 playoff system, that would entice and allow us to be in a tier with MWC, AAC, etc.

NDSUSR is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

We got beat by USD this year.

End of discussion?

Cmon guys. It's TIME. 5 straight how many do u want 31?

Ndsu brand has peaked, watching twitter nationally yesterday EVERYONE was like. "These guys look fbs, the fanbase is fbs it's time"

Mountain West can have 21000 sold out at fargodome for 5 games or Wyoming with 12,000 in a 36,000 stadium.

Tv wise we could get FSN behind it, we would improve ALL our sports not just football. Basketball would bring in millions with big dance money.

It's time people, time to put the big boy pants on
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUSR View Post

End of discussion?
    shit happens. both of NDSU's losses came at the final play. theyre 2 plays away from being 14-0. let that one sink in

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUSR View Post

End of discussion?
    No - did Minnesota and Kansas State reconsider FCS because they lost to us? Of course not. It's about the long term trend, level of fan support, recruiting base, land grant status, and other metrics of the university. Of course we won't win every game we should, and won't win the championship every year. But it is becoming clear we are not peers to schools that have 5000 students, and bring 1000 people to their home playoff games.

To repeat, FBS is not suitable to join with its current requirements and state, but that is the level our program has clearly achieved.

Good grief. As long as there are 40 bowl games funneling millions of dollars to every FBS Conference, there will never be a "split".

It's good for the P5 to keep the G5s around for scheduling and to fill bowl spots that also benefit the P5 conferences. So, financially it costs the P5 NOTHING.

The G5s are fine with the current structure because they know that the Give A Shit for their programs is not much different than FCS. Translation: There is no money in a playoff level for them as it would be a glorified FCS Tournament.

We all know the reasons why no G5 Conference is likely to consider us and there isn't much that can be done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Good grief. As long as there are 40 bowl games funneling millions of dollars to every FBS Conference, there will never be a "split".

It's good for the P5 to keep the G5s around for scheduling and to fill bowl spots that also benefit the P5 conferences. So, financially it costs the P5 NOTHING.

The G5s are fine with the current structure because they know that the Give A Shit for their programs is not much different than FCS. Translation: There is no money in a playoff level for them as it would be a glorified FCS Tournament.

We all know the reasons why no G5 Conference is likely to consider us and there isn't much that can be done about it.

Disagree that the g5 are "fine" with current state of affairs. They're merely putting up with it because the only option is to bring in top teams from FCS if they separate from P5. Means less money for them.

Eventually the p5 will want more and more power/money and likely will cause a split or they will just leave g5 behind. The top 80 without splitting the money could survive without the G5 I believe as most of these schools have nearly limitless resources for money.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Disagree that the g5 are "fine" with current state of affairs. They're merely putting up with it because the only option is to bring in top teams from FCS if they separate from P5. Means less money for them.

Eventually the p5 will want more and more power/money and likely will cause a split or they will just leave g5 behind. The top 80 without splitting the money could survive without the G5 I believe as most of these schools have nearly limitless resources for money.
    I'd rethink your first paragraph. If the G5 split the money doesn't just become less. It goes to Damn near ZERO. Holy crap. How much money do we get from the FCS playoff system? Do you think it would be much different? Hell No.

Nobody would give a shit nationally and all of the current bowl money could flow directly to the P5. Sorry, the G5 is not going to rock the boat.

I'm beginning to think a shakeup is a LONG way down the road and probably won't be something I live to see.

I expect the playoff to go to 8 and probably guaranty access to G5 under some very strict criteria. That will be enough to keep the G5 at the trough looking for a few crumbs as they really have no other alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I'd rethink your first paragraph. If the G5 split the money doesn't just become less. It goes to Damn near ZERO. Holy crap. How much money do we get from the FCS playoff system? Do you think it would be much different? Hell No.

Nobody would give a shit nationally and all of the current bowl money could flow directly to the P5. Sorry, the G5 is not going to rock the boat.

I'm beginning to think a shakeup is a LONG way down the road and probably won't be something I live to see.

I expect the playoff to go to 8 and probably guaranty access to G5 under some very strict criteria. That will be enough to keep the G5 at the trough looking for a few crumbs as they really have no other alternative.
    Yeah but G5 isn't "happy" with it either, they're settling for whatever P5 gives them. In other words my post is stating they're at the mercy of whatever P5 decides to give them. Was trying to say G5 will never do that because they want the money as you stated.

I think we will see something, P5 got appeased a bit but don't think they can keep changing things to make it better for them.