Page 141 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 41911311391401411421431511912416411141 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I think the Big 10, ACC, and SEC are going to push the PAC 10 and Big 12 towards 14 schools and not let them settle at 12. BYU makes more sense in the PAC 10. Utah is a travel partner outside football and geographically makes a lot more sense than the Big 12. The other school that would make sense athletically is Boise State. That would give the PAC 10 their 14 schools.

The Big 12 could add USF, UCF, Cincinnati, and Notre Dame. While it would be nice for them to trade Notre Dame to the SEC for Missouri or to the Big 10 for Nebraska, it still fixes a lot of issues. There would be no independents effecting the playoffs, everyone has a fairly equivalent scheduling system to work around, and you have 5 definitive conference champions. Conferences ranked 4 and 5 have a play-in game for the semis and you go from there. Man there would be so much money to be had.

Then the next tier would start to look at being 14 schools per conference. So the AAC could add Army, Chattanooga, Sam Houston, and UNI; CUSA could add James Madison; the MAC could add Youngstown, the Sun Belt could add Liberty, Coastal Carolina, Delaware, and Jacksonville State, and the MW could add NDSU, Montana, and Montana State. That would put them all at 14 schools each and like the first tier, make scheduling consistent for everyone. I know I am probably missing some but I went with the ones with the best attendance records and schools like CCU who have talked about moving up.

The pipe dream being if the Big 12 wants the best all around program to add, you add NDSU and let Notre Dame figure it out as an independent forever, because at some point they will have to join a conference.
    If Notre Dame joins... Big if... They'll probably go to the ACC. They'll go to whatever conference they want though. We'll see. Notre Dame has some really bad blood with Michigan so I don't see the B1G happen.

Would be great to see NDSU get in with the Mountain West though.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    If Notre Dame joins... Big if... They'll probably go to the ACC. They'll go to whatever conference they want though. We'll see. Notre Dame has some really bad blood with Michigan so I don't see the B1G happen.

Agree. Notre Dame would go to the ACC if they were to join a conference.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post

I would agree, as well, if the ACC didn't already have 14 schools. Now the next scenario of 16 schools each would be really nice because it give every conference two 8 school divisions with 7 division games, 3 OOC games, and a couple OOD inter-conference games. It also really breaks up the AAC and CUSA as it would start adding Memphis, Tulane, Marshall and some MW schools like Fresno and Nevada to the mix. The bonus to approaching 80 schools in the top tier is schools like NDSU start making more sense to add to the discussion. In the 80 school scenario, that locks down the top tier as not playing football with the second tier. They wouldn't share with anyone.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I would agree, as well, if the ACC didn't already have 14 schools. Now the next scenario of 16 schools each would be really nice because it give every conference two 8 school divisions with 7 division games, 3 OOC games, and a couple OOD inter-conference games. It also really breaks up the AAC and CUSA as it would start adding Memphis, Tulane, Marshall and some MW schools like Fresno and Nevada to the mix. The bonus to approaching 80 schools in the top tier is schools like NDSU start making more sense to add to the discussion. In the 80 school scenario, that locks down the top tier as not playing football with the second tier. They wouldn't share with anyone.
    Wouldn't there be a pretty good chance NDSU would never make 1st tier in that 80 team scenario. The thought of never being able to play those teams doesn't thrill me so much

I thing the True Cost of Attendance thing will really start accelerating some change. It will especially cause issues in the FCS where you will have a few that will do it but the majority won't be able to afford it. Since the entire point of the divisions is to provide a (somewhat) level playing field that will cause some action.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHerd View Post
    Wouldn't there be a pretty good chance NDSU would never make 1st tier in that 80 team scenario. The thought of never being able to play those teams doesn't thrill me so much
    It would depend on what model someone wants to use to determine 80 schools. Right now game attendance for NDSU would be around 100 of all D1 schools and that is limited at the moment by the size of the stadium. The FM TV market is sitting at 116. The adjacent markets like Bismarck is 142 and Sioux Falls is 112. Combined it starts looking like the San Antonio market which is at 36. That isn't including much of outstate MN. All the computer rankings put NDSU at 33 for the past 5 years and 67 for the past 10 years. Academically, NDSU certainly stands on its own with its Carnegie Commission rankings in a very objective ranking system and not too bad in other subjective reports. The FM area is projected to hit a half million people in the next 15 years. If the state were to publicly back a move, there is money to make it happen. In other sports, NDSU has proven competitiveness.

So depending on what model and how anyone wants to look at NDSU as being a long term asset as being in their tier of athletics, especially football, we are at the very least a fringe school that should seriously be considered as a top 80 program. As far as jumping a dozen G5 schools, that would be the rub. So probably the best scenario is still the P5 model with 14 schools in each conference and they open up play to the second tier. I think there would be enough movement that NDSU is a shoe in for the second tier where they would certainly be competitive and still get games against the P5 schools. The 80 school model is only attractive if NDSU is considered an option and I don't know if ESPN can make that happen.

ESPN article has NDSU a possible fit in Big 12--down the road. However, the big problem is the stadium. IF it is 80 elite teams vs. "have nots," we cannot be a viable option in the top 80 until or unless a 30,000 to 35,000 seat (minimum) stadium is built. Per the Forum's article today, Fargo's population growth (and the metro) continues to meet or exceed projections.

Clearly, NDSU is not ready to be one of the "top 80" right now. However, factors would appear to indicate that NDSU would have the chance to in the next ten or 15 years. The problem is that there does not appear to be realistic chance of a new stadium being built in the next decade or so. Don't get me wrong, the Fargodome is clearly suffice for the Mountain West, Sun Belt, etc. But if there is gong to be a split, the elite conferences are going to require a much larger stadium.

Of course, critics are going to say that Fargo could never sell out or get 90% + capacity in a 30,000 to 35,000 stadium. I disagree. In 2020, the Fargo Metro area will be at 250,000. That is 100,000 more than when the FargoDome opened.

CCU is now FBS.

NDSU/Montana SHOULD BE IN THE MOUNTAIN WEST! If their presidents were watching ESPN sat, why would they say NO?

Revenue wise, you tell me: MWC attendance was DOWN 14% in 2014 http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... yearsMajor

would MWC like full houses of 6 games at 28,000 & 20,000 for 300,000 total for Montana/NDSU?
    Instead of UNLV San Jose with 6 games at 15,000/game? for 180,000 total?

at $40/ticket thats' almost $5 Million in revenue!!

TV wise, NDSU has shown it gets ratings in Minneapolis market & Montana gets some colorado/wyoming/western states.... PLUS the share & % of actual people viewing the games are much higher than CSU/Air Force or San Jose in Denver/San Fran, thats a FACT!

NDSU & Montana Presidents should gather & put together a formal proposal asking for invitation!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

I know this is the only thread tony wants me to post about FBS. so here goes.

as seen today, FCS = D2 period, end of story. its the exact same thing we all wanted to leave D2 for, so why wont you all wake up and get on board the move up ?

I mean seriously, this was a joke, the entire FCS is full of POOR's. watch the attendences next week other than montana it'll be pathetic.

NDSU & Montana should put together a package to solicit the Mountain West!

Serious discussion time. Not going FBS is hurting recruiting!

lost 2 COMMITS to U of Minnesota & Iowa Staate
    Lost at least 10 offerees to FBS schools like Wyoming, mac schools and eastern Kentucky just today.

NDSU is basically subsidizing the Fcs with $300k/playoff game plus 15,000 at frisco for 4, 5? Years.
    NDSU with 18500 each game while the Fcs averages 5500

NDSU is 21-1 in Fcs playoffs. 69-5 in last 74

Add this all up and read the tea leaves, it's hurting recruiting and stunting the programs into stagnation.
    Yes we can always dominate this league , but why subsidize it and remain status quo?