Page 1340 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 34084012401290133013381339134013411342 ... LastLast
Results 13,391 to 13,400 of 13496

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    What about the other 98% of college athletes who don’t generate any revenue? Should they have their scholarships revoked since many sports don’t generate enough revenue to even cover that cost?
    They've wasted decades not figuring that one out.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    What about the other 98% of college athletes who don’t generate any revenue? Should they have their scholarships revoked since many sports don’t generate enough revenue to even cover that cost?
    That's a good point. It seems like they want it both ways. If they're 'employees' who should be fairly compensated because schools are raking in 'millions', then shouldn't the 'employees' who aren't driving the revenue be fired? Or now are they students again? LOL.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    I'd expect a P4 conference invite would still be required, at least to feasibly put a schedule together.
    We won't have the cash to buy those home games like Liberty did, and P4 aren't likely to give us enough home and away games.

This is a move to lock the gates of upper tier football, and let them spend as many millions as they please on players.

The more interesting question is what happens with G5 now, and how do they restructure.
    I have no idea how of if they restructured G5 but I do think it is likely the conferences would strive to be more regional.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    G5 Bowls are largely junk.

Now a G5 playoff would be awesome.
    I agree that most Bowl games are primarily only interesting to the fans of the schools participating. I might catch a bowl games with a conference mates in the mix but I certainly don't care about any of the other bowl games..

As for a G5 playoff, I just don't see the appeal. It would be like selecting the 12 best AAA baseball teams. Winning the breakaway P4 playoff would be big and incredibly lucrative..Duking it out to see who is the 60th best college team is a massive yawner.

I think a playoff does work for FCS because they are a pretty self contained unit overall. Just not seeing as viable for schools not going to the breakaway leagues.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Yep. There is maybe a handful of teams with the requisite fanbases to routinely support such a team through several neutral site games.

I guess the alternative is local football fans buy up the remaining balance of tickets?
    Guess what, those handful of teams are the ones that will be there: OSU, UGA, Penn St, Alabama, Michigan, Clemson, Oregon, etc.
    These will be major events, hosted in big cities. The college football equivalent of NFL Conference titles and Superbowl.

The G5 will be gone from the picture. There's no problem for the top of P4 filling those bowls.
    We're talking about teams that draw 75-100k+ to every game.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Guess what, those handful of teams are the ones that will be there: OSU, UGA, Penn St, Alabama, Michigan, Clemson, Oregon, etc.
    These will be major events, hosted in big cities. The college football equivalent of NFL Conference titles and Superbowl.

The G5 will be gone from the picture. There's no problem for the top of P4 filling those bowls.
    We're talking about teams that draw 75-100k+ to every game.
    They draw those fans for home games. Let's use Penn State as an example. Their fans would have to travel to Indy for the B1G championship. Then as the #5 seed they have to play a first round game and they'll play the #12 seed in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. For arguments sake, let's say that's Boise State. Not an exciting opponent for them so maybe a lot of alumni opt not to go. Their quarterfinal is the weekend before Christmas and they play at the Rose Bowl against #4 seed Oregon. This is the 3rd straight weekend their fans have had to travel.

They pull off the upset and advance to the Fiesta Bowl in Phoenix against #8 Virginia Tech, who also had an upset in the quarters. They win as the favorite to advance to the finals against #2 Texas. They have a shorter trip to Atlanta for the championship game. To get their though, they had to ask their alumni to travel on consecutive weeks to Indy, Dallas, LA (Christmas week), Phoenix, and Atlanta.

With the holidays and multiple trips these games won't have the attendance they do today. The energy around the game at the other bowls will go away. They'll be TV darlings, but the organizations that plan the bowls and related events will struggle to sustain with a lot of lost revenue.

The Cotton Bowl wouldn't be happy going that early and likely getting a blowout game. They would go to hosted sites fairly quickly making the Coton Bowl a bowl between non playoff teams and will struggle even more. The Rose Bowl would only make the semifinal host every other year and rather than being a NY6 Bowl of top teams would host non playoff teams that have players opt out to prepare for the draft. And it would be played during the week to avoid conflict with the playoffs or NFL.

They will eventually expand to 24 or 32 games adding another week. Maybe that's when we lose conference championship games, too. I think 8 is the breaking point between meaningful bowls and a full playoff.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    They draw those fans for home games. Let's use Penn State as an example. Their fans would have to travel to Indy for the B1G championship. Then as the #5 seed they have to play a first round game and they'll play the #12 seed in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. For arguments sake, let's say that's Boise State. Not an exciting opponent for them so maybe a lot of alumni opt not to go. Their quarterfinal is the weekend before Christmas and they play at the Rose Bowl against #4 seed Oregon. This is the 3rd straight weekend their fans have had to travel.

They pull off the upset and advance to the Fiesta Bowl in Phoenix against #8 Virginia Tech, who also had an upset in the quarters. They win as the favorite to advance to the finals against #2 Texas. They have a shorter trip to Atlanta for the championship game. To get their though, they had to ask their alumni to travel on consecutive weeks to Indy, Dallas, LA (Christmas week), Phoenix, and Atlanta.

With the holidays and multiple trips these games won't have the attendance they do today. The energy around the game at the other bowls will go away. They'll be TV darlings, but the organizations that plan the bowls and related events will struggle to sustain with a lot of lost revenue.

The Cotton Bowl wouldn't be happy going that early and likely getting a blowout game. They would go to hosted sites fairly quickly making the Coton Bowl a bowl between non playoff teams and will struggle even more. The Rose Bowl would only make the semifinal host every other year and rather than being a NY6 Bowl of top teams would host non playoff teams that have players opt out to prepare for the draft. And it would be played during the week to avoid conflict with the playoffs or NFL.

They will eventually expand to 24 or 32 games adding another week. Maybe that's when we lose conference championship games, too. I think 8 is the breaking point between meaningful bowls and a full playoff.

I don't see the field growing nearly that large when the P4/G5 split happens.
    They may stay at 12, or grow it to 16 at most. There's roughly 70 teams in the P4.
    Four teams from each conference on average seems more than sufficient.

Give the rest of the P4 teams with winning records a bowl game, same as today. Done.

Fargodome Fail

Time for NDSU STADIUM—
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Fargodome Fail

Time for NDSU STADIUM—
    Hope you got $500m in cartel money for the cause Chapo.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I don't see the field growing nearly that large when the P4/G5 split happens.
    They may stay at 12, or grow it to 16 at most. There's roughly 70 teams in the P4.
    Four teams from each conference on average seems more than sufficient.

Give the rest of the P4 teams with winning records a bowl game, same as today. Done.
    If that does happen I see less interest in those other bowls and they go away. Maybe to a G5 playoff or G5 and FCS merge into one playoff.

I've said for several years they should either have a bowl system with no national champion or a playoff to determine a champion. They made both with 2 or 4 teams, but as the last few years have shown, many teams lose players either to transfers or the draft. And now we have 5 win teams in bowls. I still love watching the bowls regardless, but I also watch D2, D3, and NAIA playoff games!