Page 133 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 33831231311321331341351431832336331133 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

So maybe if after everything falls into place and it appears we need to move up...maybe it will seem the same to peer institutions like Montana, SDSU, etc. Maybe then it would be time to form a new conference in FBS? This would only work if we could still keep our yearly deal with St Cloud St.*

*Now that this game has been mentioned I don't want to jeopardize it!

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    I need only point to the SHAC to illustrate the funding hurdle.
    Again, you are correct in regards to the SHAC, but lets face it, basketball isn't exactly a high priority in Fargo. Football is king and will be able to raise a heck of lot more money and a lot faster than BB. A new stadium isn't an immediate concern if we move to a G5 conference. That can come later and maybe with a creative funding mechanism. Again, there are real obsticles, but nothing that can't be overcome in time.

I want to be clear, I'm not pushing for an immediate move up at all costs. I just think that if FBS games dry up and we end up having to schedule D2 teams, we will have no choice but to move on from FCS. It never hurts to have a plan in place just in case. See the school to the north for a reference as to no plan.

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    So maybe if after everything falls into place and it appears we need to move up...maybe it will seem the same to peer institutions like Montana, SDSU, etc. Maybe then it would be time to form a new conference in FBS? This would only work if we could still keep our yearly deal with St Cloud St.*

*Now that this game has been mentioned I don't want to jeopardize it!

This could be a very real possibility, but it doesn't hurt to start making plans. I really don't want us to be playing D2 teams on a regular basis and I don't think a majority of our fans want to see that either.

I agree it's harder to raise money for basketball infrastructure than football but it may be a better investment because of the March Madness gravy train.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post
    Again, you are correct in regards to the SHAC, but lets face it, basketball isn't exactly a high priority in Fargo. Football is king and will be able to raise a heck of lot more money and a lot faster than BB. A new stadium isn't an immediate concern if we move to a G5 conference. That can come later and maybe with a creative funding mechanism. Again, there are real obsticles, but nothing that can't be overcome in time.

I want to be clear, I'm not pushing for an immediate move up at all costs. I just think that if FBS games dry up and we end up having to schedule D2 teams, we will have no choice but to move on from FCS. It never hurts to have a plan in place just in case. See the school to the north for a reference as to no plan.
    A FBS conference will never look at NDSU with a 19k stadium, period. The Chicken would have to come before the egg here.

As for FBS teams, they aren't absolutely necessary. There are 125 teams in FCS, with proper planning there should be no problems filling out a schedule. Montana is the same size and geographic isolation and they are just fine where they are.

Visiting team ticket allotment. Carry on.
    Sent from somewhere on teh intarwebs
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

A FBS conference will never look at NDSU with a 19k stadium, period. The Chicken would have to come before the egg here.

As for FBS teams, they aren't absolutely necessary. There are 125 teams in FCS, with proper planning there should be no problems filling out a schedule. Montana is the same size and geographic isolation and they are just fine where they are.
    I'm not saying you're wrong about this but I am saying it's ridiculous. Just check out the weekly MACtion tweets commenting on empty stadiums from Dom and Jeff.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I'm not saying you're wrong about this but I am saying it's ridiculous. Just check out the weekly MACtion tweets commenting on empty stadiums from Dom and Jeff.
    Another reason this whole idea is stupid. There is a disconnect between expectation and fulfillment of that.

NDSU right now beats the attendance figures for a ton of G5 teams. Unfortunately, they have an incredibly outsized idea of their own importance so they will still insist on a much loftier number.

You don't know for sure that a FBS conference would never look at us with a 19,000 seat stadium. Our stadium size meets the NCAA minimum requirement for size. As for Montana, they end up scheduling D2 teams quite frenquently. If we want 6 home games a year, we need a team to come here with no return. Out of the 125 FCS teams, that list gets narrowed to a short few who will take that arrangement and we aren't the only team looking for this same arrangement, hence the D2 scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post
    You don't know for sure that a FBS conference would never look at us with a 19,000 seat stadium. Our stadium size meets the NCAA minimum requirement for size. As for Montana, they end up scheduling D2 teams quite frenquently. If we want 6 home games a year, we need a team to come here with no return. Out of the 125 FCS teams, that list gets narrowed to a short few who will take that arrangement and we aren't the only team looking for this same arrangement, hence the D2 scheduling.
    There are only 3 teams who use a stadium smaller than the Fargodome.

Idaho's Kibbie Dome (they might drop football or go back to FCS)
    UMass on campus stadium, even though they regularly use Gillette Stadium
    UNCC Richardson Stadium.

Only one team, UNCC, built their stadium to the minimum FBS requirement and they have a media market Fargo couldn't touch.

Do we really want to be at the bottom of this list? I still don't see any material benefit to any of this.