Page 1295 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 2957951195124512851293129412951296129713051345 ... LastLast
Results 12,941 to 12,950 of 13496

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Nice, wouldn’t affect us and probably stops some of our FCS move-up competition from getting in our way.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Stolen from myself when these new rules were just proposals:

I looked more deeply into the proposed FBS rules (16 sports, 90% grants given, $6M, 210 grants) to move up and UND and NDSU's situations ... observations ...

UND and NDSU,

- in the sports UND plays they can offer 115.6 mens and 85 womens grants (per NCAA limits). That's 200.6 and 57.6% male. UND's EADA data says they're giving out 199.9 grants. That's so close to 200.6 that dare we say "fully funded". And Knight says that's $5.94M in grants ($29.7k per).

- in the sports NDSU plays they can offer 114.7 mens and 78 womens grants (per NCAA limits). That's 192.7 and 59.8% male. NDSU fans say they're fully funded and for this analysis we accept that as fact, 191.7 grants. And Knight says that's $5M in grants ($26k per).

Both offer at least 16 sports (UND is 17). All good.
    Fully funded at 90%. All good.

$6M?

UND is there, and with Alston is way over. If UND added 22 FBS grants their balance would go 61.8% male. Workable but would get scrutiny.

For NDSU just add the FBS grants to get to $6M, yes? Um, no. 22 grants for FBS means 22*$26k for about $575k. But that totals to still under $6M ($5.575M). And 22 FB makes for a 64% male grant dollars split. That'll get some notice. So, just add women's grants, right? Where? They're fully funded. To add women's grants they'd have to add a women's sport. So, $1M more on grants and women's grants to fund (i.e. add a women's sport).

One more, SDSU:

- In the sports SDSU plays they can offer 124.6 mens and 106 womens grants (per NCAA limits). That's 230.6 and 54% male. SDSU fans say they're fully funded and for this analysis we accept that as fact, 230.6 grants. And Knight says that's just $4.26M in grants ($18.5k per). Those are small numbers.

More importantly, that's 19 sports. Not sustainable and be FBS for them, but may be dollars for grants if you cut programs. (SDSU's normal budget is very tight. SD doesn't give USD/SDSU near the resources compared to ND.) If I were SDSU AD I'd drop S&D both sides and keep WEquest but I don't know their books.

SDSU summary: Find almost $2M(!) annual budget and reshuffle the sports lineup down.
    And Alerus Center capacity is no longer an issue (no more attendance requirement).

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Nice, wouldn’t affect us and probably stops some of our FCS move-up competition from getting in our way.
    Yeah, any school that can't come up with that shouldn't be FBS anyhow. If it stops UND cool. But I doubt it is a real issue for anyone.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Funny that you didn't include the many posts from many people explaining how we can easily meet these requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Funny that you didn't include the many posts from many people explaining how we can easily meet these requirements.
    I laid out the challenges for each; I never said "insurmountable".

Frankly making WEquest NCAA level would be good PR for NDSU right about now given the recent press about dismissing women.

When you’re a hammer, everything looks like a reason NDSU can’t be successful
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post

And Alerus Center capacity is no longer an issue (no more attendance requirement).
    NDSU needs to add Women's Wrestling ASAP so that the program can be up and running before an FBS invite is announced. I don't necessarily hate the new rules but wish we were on the right side of the 5,000,000 application fee.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    NDSU needs to add Women's Wrestling ASAP so that the program can be up and running before an FBS invite is announced. I don't necessarily hate the new rules but wish we were on the right side of the 5,000,000 application fee.
    Geolocation and wrestling history at NDSU makes this a no brainer, imo.

It's like building a new facility: the cost to build; the cost to own and maintain.

I'm willing to bet your Athletics staff is less worried about the one-time buy-in than the on-going cost. FBS is a $1M bump in grant dollars annually plus support of a (projected) additional women's sport.

That assumption is based on this: https://www.extrapointsmb.com/p/recl...ive-soon-heres

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I want outdoor winter Women's beach volleyball.