Page 1289 of 1360 FirstFirst ... 2897891189123912791287128812891290129112991339 ... LastLast
Results 12,881 to 12,890 of 13598

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Not gonna lie... if (and hopefully when) the Bison move up I'm going to miss that feeling on consecutive weekends in December when you know the season is over if the boys lose but it only gets bigger and better if they win. I really couldn't think of a scenario in FBS-land short of that once-in-a-decade (at most) opportunity that a G5 team has a chance to make the CFP if they win their conference title that this could be replicated. This model makes it so practically every school who is invested in football year-in-year-out is playing these types of games late in the regular season every year.
    It’s what I love about the relegation model. It brings so much more meaning to the games at the G6 level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    The reason, I don't see this generating enough MW votes to make it happen is because this is really just a scheme to eliminate exit fees. Once you create 2 separate conferences the charade ends.

That's why I ask who gets to pick who goes where to start the process. What will be the criteria for the placement?
    Those two items are why the schools likely to be starting in the bottom half (e.g. UWyo, USU, UNM) will never vote for it. If we see through the charade so do they.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Those two items are why the schools likely to be starting in the bottom half (e.g. UWyo, USU, UNM) will never vote for it. If we see through the charade so do they.
    Like most things, it comes down to money.

If all schools can receive a bump in pay, to say $5m or $6m, plus the guaranteed opportunity to advance to the PAC for a bit more ($8m-$10m), I think it becomes a no brainer to say yes. Unless of course you are so pessimistic on your own program that you think reaching the top half is impossible.

If the MWC bottom half think they are going to hold the top half "hostage" to MWC long term, thats a failed plan. This would be smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Like most things, it comes down to money.

If all schools can receive a bump in pay, to say $5m or $6m, plus the guaranteed opportunity to advance to the PAC for a bit more ($8m-$10m), I think it becomes a no brainer to say yes. Unless of course you are so pessimistic on your own program that you think reaching the top half is impossible.

If the MWC bottom half think they are going to hold the top half "hostage" to MWC long term, thats a failed plan. This would be smarter.
    For now they can hold them hostage, there’s no where else for them to go. Besides make their own conference, which is what I think they’ll do anyways.

They can either make their own conference or do this goofy relegation thing until the buyout fees die down and then split off anyways. I don’t see a situation in which this is mutually beneficial. The pros have to outweigh the cons for BOTH sides.

The way it’s been described here at least is that the top schools in the MW will A) take less money per year B) reduce their OOC scheduling flexibility C) expose themselves to possible relegation (which would likely have as much or larger of a financial strain than just paying the exit fee in the first place).

It can happen now or happen later but someday in the near term the conferences will be split.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

how BAD is the PUDcs ??

look at this top 25 this week. und 11? NC Central 13? Florida A M 18 ? holy shit they are sooo bad.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The issue with relegation in a situation like this the hard split it creates. Let's say there are 16 teams and each conference has 8. The 8th place this year may have a good team but they go 1-6 or 2-5 in conference play because everyone is better than them. The 9th place team goes 7-0 or 6-1 and wins the lower conference because they are better than everyone else. If you are getting to the end of the current season do you see teams tanking to not be the last place team in the upper conference? Probably not because they'll still want a chance at the conference the next year and if additional money is in play for being in that conference. You can take any P5 and G6 conference and there will always be overlap in teams from the top conference to the bottom conference. Same when comparing G5/FCS, FCS/D2, etc. I do think this idea has some merit here though, and I would be curious to see it play out. With only OSU and WSU and whoever else joins them they are not a P5 conference. But they would be the core a very good G5 conference. And I assume they would likely stay in the top half of that conference most years.

It's strange to me how many don't understand how much more value the relegation model brings from a media perspective which is $$$ which is THE thing that drives all decisions in college football.

Two conferences unrelated do not have the same value as two conferences with relegation. And yes the media and the general sports fan will care even though the teams involved aren't big names.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    It's strange to me how many don't understand how much more value the relegation model brings from a media perspective which is $$$ which is THE thing that drives all decisions in college football.

Two conferences unrelated do not have the same value as two conferences with relegation. And yes the media and the general sports fan will care even though the teams involved aren't big names.
    Pro/rel with the Big 10 or SEC? Yeah, that'll be big and bring in the dollars. A G5? Splash of novelty but I don't see the media paying significantly more over time. You still have the same number of broadcast time slots and it's not like they're going to get an extra million streaming subscribers.

That merged CUSA+SBC relegation game between UNC-Charlotte and Arkansas State will draw tens of viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post

It could double the value of a normal MW game but that still doesn't make it valuable in the big picture. The only people who are interested in the MW reside west of the Rockies have been long time fans of the members. Adding OSU/WSU is not going to change that even if it is under relegation system under the Pac name.

To be fair, if you and your SDSU are added, it would increase interest in the Dakotas and that is not small thing. But the rest of the country tends to yawn when it comes to the MW.
    Last edited by MWC; 09-25-2023 at 06:53 PM.