Page 1282 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 2827821182123212721280128112821283128412921332 ... LastLast
Results 12,811 to 12,820 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by B.Schlossman Fan Club View Post
    No it’s actually about the amount of money the school is going to bring in via eyeballs. Performance on the field doesn’t mean anything if you don’t bring in viewers!
    Then why NDSU? I don’t think that’s a money play, that has to be a level of competition play, no?
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Then why NDSU? I don’t think that’s a money play, that has to be a level of competition play, no?
    Trying hard not to look through green and yellow glasses here ... in a promotion/relegation system I think NDSU and even SDSU are perfect candidates to draw eyeballs. NDSU especially. A large number of college football fans know of NDSU's success, it's a story that can be discussed ad nauseam by reporters and game coverage, and "eveyone" wants to see if NDSU can truly make it with the "big boys". What better way to prove that than in this model? Honestly it's almost reality TV which audiences eat up.

Does anyone have an The Athletic subscription that could give a few sentence rundown on what this article says in terms of options being discussed?

https://theathletic.com/4887805/2023...ampaign=601983

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    They can, they just have to wait. If the PAC gets to keep their $100M in assets that would more than help pay for schools to jump.

Much more feasible than a three conference sub-subdivision that they’re proposing. As if there isn’t a million and one reasons that will never happen.

That's a lot of what's dragging this out I believe. The PAC-2 don't officially have control of the conference yet.

The departing PAC members would love to just vote to disband it, split up the remaining assets, and take their NCAA tourney credits with them. I'm pretty sure that won't be the outcome, but I'm not sure if the PAC-2 will keep everything either.

With this kind of money in stake, it will take some time in court to resolve. The real risk for PAC-2 is the court proceedings drag out and force them to make a sub-optimal choice for next year. Most of the "good" outcomes for PAC-2 are likely to create opportunities for NDSU also in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    That's a lot of what's dragging this out I believe. The PAC-2 don't officially have control of the conference yet.

The departing PAC members would love to just vote to disband it, split up the remaining assets, and take their NCAA tourney credits with them. I'm pretty sure that won't be the outcome, but I'm not sure if the PAC-2 will keep everything either.

With this kind of money in stake, it will take some time in court to resolve. The real risk for PAC-2 is the court proceedings drag out and force them to make a sub-optimal choice for next year. Most of the "good" outcomes for PAC-2 are likely to create opportunities for NDSU also in my opinion.
    The part that's being overlooked is the giant debt the PAC-12 is on the hook for. Something like $50 million from a media overpayment?? That's also going to complicate things.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Does anyone have an The Athletic subscription that could give a few sentence rundown on what this article says in terms of options being discussed?

https://theathletic.com/4887805/2023...ampaign=601983
    The key talking points were around financials, the PAC court case, and Promotion/Relegation. Oregon St AD sounded positive regarding that proposal.

Barnes said no agreements have been signed as it is too early in the process to know what form the relationship between the two schools and the current Mountain West schools would look like. Murthy said the two schools have been trying to get a better understanding of the Pac-12’s current assets and liabilities — assets that include media rights payments, NCAA tournament units and College Football Playoff revenue. Liabilities include debt owed to Comcast and fallout from a legal dispute with the Holiday Bowl.

Part of the reason the two schools took legal action against the Pac-12 conference and commissioner George Kliavkoff earlier this month was to gain clarity regarding the financial condition of the league.

“We’ve got to have that full picture,” Schulz said. “I don’t think it is going to take us months to get the full picture (of assets and liabilities, and potential partnerships). I am optimistic that in the next 30 days or so we’re going to have a pretty decent idea of a lot of this and that will help our decision-making.”
    Asked about a promotion/relegation proposal for western FBS football teams that originated with Boise State associate athletic director Michael Walsh, administrators declined to discuss it specifically. Barnes said he believes there will likely be more examples of unequal revenue distribution models within conferences, leagues contracting and/or a pure relegation model in the future of college sports.

That “will take place, I think,” Barnes said. “I think that’s coming. … We see it working in a similar fashion (with the Premier League) in Europe, and, certainly, it’s worthy of our study.”

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    The part that's being overlooked is the giant debt the PAC-12 is on the hook for. Something like $50 million from a media overpayment?? That's also going to complicate things.
    It is coming out of the final media rights payment

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    They won't touch the garbage that is CUSA now, but some of the AAC texas teams could be in play, especially the better ones like UTSA. The AAC exit fees could be a barrier also though, depending what the PAC/MWC can come up with money wise.

In theory, Texas St could also be in play, but they are at the bottom of SBC, and probably not a first choice. They have a reasonable fanbase and stadium, but have not been good on the field. Just hired UIW's coach, and maybe better this year. They knocked off Baylor and show signs of improving.

Went and double checked, with the departure of SMU to ACC, there's only 6 G5 in Texas.

CUSA: SHSU, UTEP
    SBC: Texas St
    AAC: UTSA, UNT, Rice

Of those, I'd say UTSA or UNT most likely. UNT is mediocre.
    Texas State has one the one thing that most of the recent Texas move ups don't have. They are a large traditional growing university in a true college town where a big chunk of their students live on or close to campus. They have an upper G5 level basketball facility and a football stadium that while not complete has a beautiful master plan. Obviously their football program has a lot to be desired but they could separate themselves from all their Texas move up siblings by getting into the MWC.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Texas State has one the one thing that most of the recent Texas move ups don't have. They are a large traditional growing university in a true college town where a big chunk of their students live on or close to campus. They have an upper G5 level basketball facility and a football stadium that while not complete has a beautiful master plan. Obviously their football program has a lot to be desired but they could separate themselves from all their Texas move up siblings by getting into the MWC.
    Is getting into the MWC an improvement? In this relegation model, they would likely start out in the lower tier and they would need to get their on field performance up in order to elevate to the upper tier which would likely be an improvement over the SBC. It will come down to money and I just don't see the lower tier of the PAC/MWC relegation idea being a bigger media revenue generator than the SBC. I would also think that there is likely a cost for them to leave the SBC to join the MWC.

I can prove to you right now that when a vote comes to become a relegation system no president will vote for it.
    How?

Look how hard WasSU and OrSU are fighting to keep the "PAC" name and avoid ... relegation ... to the Mountain West.