Page 125 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 25751151231241251261271351752256251125 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I agree. I also think the athletic department is kind of between a rock and a hard place right now with future uncertainty. I don't think they want to go asking for money twice.

I do think having a two tiered approach to the problem should be announced. With the completion of the SHAC, there should be an announcement there will be a strategy developed to upgrade the dome or the next facility to meet demand of remaining in a relevant tier of college football. That would coincide with the shakeout of college football and the preparation to fluidly move into the tier of football that best suits Bison football. So instead of looking like it is a wait and see approach, it would be a proactive approach to a productive future. In the meantime, the second tier of the project is positioning the athletic department to jump at the opportunity to move towards the next level. We should be seeking active partners interested in seeking a similar future and having them on board with being prepared for the next step. If the next step is a collaboration of FCS and the remaining G5 schools, I do think our next step really does have to include an all sports conference once and for all as our next conference move better be our last for a long time.

We can simultaneously prepare for a future of bigger and better things while waiting for college football to realign. It minimizes the risk and the potential double investment disaster.
    Gene Taylor pretty much said the same thing. The operative word here is PATIENCE. Moves of this magnitude take time and resources.
    This will not happen over night. According to Coach K you are looking at a 5 year minimum before the shakeout happens and then settle out. A move at the wrong time could be very costly.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

WAC attack!!!
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    No discussion or new thread on newly approved rule to allow payments to athletes? I'd provide more info/links, but on IPhone. It was approved late last week as I understand. NDSU will have to do it to stay competitive, regardless of level we are at--and to all athletes in main sports IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At what point do the minor sports teams start crying foul and want a piece of the pie?

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    At what point do the minor sports teams start crying foul and want a piece of the pie?
    That and Title 9, the latter of which is why we find WSB and WVB, although I think we have for a long time funded VB schollies, at least to an extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Gene Taylor pretty much said the same thing. The operative word here is PATIENCE. Moves of this magnitude take time and resources.
    This will not happen over night. According to Coach K you are looking at a 5 year minimum before the shakeout happens and then settle out. A move at the wrong time could be very costly.
    Right. You move too early and you may have to do it twice.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    Right. You move too early and you may have to do it twice.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Not to mention making the wrong move and not being able to get out of the deal you made.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

[QUOTE=TransAmBison;976053]So let's say we move up and join a lower tier FBS team. Would we not play the same teams and occasionally win a obscure bowl game? Would we not get bored with the level of competition then as well? I do agree there would be the opportunity for some bigger games...but I'm just wondering if it is worth it. The playoffs are a blast...is one obscure bowl game worth that much more? Not trying to be a smarta##...just trying to create real dialogue. I am curious about this subject.*

As I said in my early post, the prize wouldn't be a bowl game, as I really feel that the playoffs and national championship would usually generate more excitement than a bowl game. The prize would be the chance to play some good P5 teams and if the stars align right for us, a big (formally BCS) bowl game. I know it sounds like kind of a week argument, but if the FBS games dry up for us, we will have no games that have the potential to raise fan interest and loyalty. The FCS games can be exciting, but they will not grown the fan base and generate the same level of publicity, both locally and nationally, that a P5 game has the potential to do.

I know full well the myriad of obstacles in our way to moving to a FBS conference, but at the very least the university should be exploring the possibility. I'm no insider, but it seems to me, from the outside looking in, a move to FBS hasn't even been on the table.

[QUOTE=LITTLEGUYSINGREEN;976143]
    Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    So let's say we move up and join a lower tier FBS team. Would we not play the same teams and occasionally win a obscure bowl game? Would we not get bored with the level of competition then as well? I do agree there would be the opportunity for some bigger games...but I'm just wondering if it is worth it. The playoffs are a blast...is one obscure bowl game worth that much more? Not trying to be a smarta##...just trying to create real dialogue. I am curious about this subject.*

As I said in my early post, the prize wouldn't be a bowl game, as I really feel that the playoffs and national championship would usually generate more excitement than a bowl game. The prize would be the chance to play some good P5 teams and if the stars align right for us, a big (formally BCS) bowl game. I know it sounds like kind of a week argument, but if the FBS games dry up for us, we will have no games that have the potential to raise fan interest and loyalty. The FCS games can be exciting, but they will not grown the fan base and generate the same level of publicity, both locally and nationally, that a P5 game has the potential to do.

I know full well the myriad of obstacles in our way to moving to a FBS conference, but at the very least the university should be exploring the possibility. I'm no insider, but it seems to me, from the outside looking in, a move to FBS hasn't even been on the table.
    Amazing what Bison football accomplished before the FBS games. Not to mention the size fan base. How did NDSU survive?
    FBS? Gene Taylor said in a couple of interviews that they had contacted the WAC and MWC that if they were considering expansion not to forget about NDSU as they wanted to be in the conversation. As far as an offer to join the FBS I havent heard of one but thats what you need to move up.

So will you no longer be a fan if there are no more FBS games?

[QUOTE=56BISON73;976144]
    Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post

Amazing what Bison football accomplished before the FBS games. Not to mention the size fan base. How did NDSU survive?
    FBS? Gene Taylor said in a couple of interviews that they had contacted the WAC and MWC that if they were considering expansion not to forget about NDSU as they wanted to be in the conversation. As far as an offer to join the FBS I havent heard of one but thats what you need to move up.

So will you no longer be a fan if there are no more FBS games?
    Never said that at all. I will always be a Bison fan, no matter the division. However, FBS games are a big deal to a great number of fans and usually generate more interest than a normal FCS game. I'm not saying that the program will dry up and die if we lose the FBS games, NDSU will be OK if we keep winning at the FCS level. But, I really feel that fan and media interest would suffer if we lose the FBS games. The program won't generate quite as much excitement as is currently does.

[QUOTE=LITTLEGUYSINGREEN;976148]
    Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post

Never said that at all. I will always be a Bison fan, no matter the division. However, FBS games are a big deal to a great number of fans and usually generate more interest than a normal FCS game. I'm not saying that the program will dry up and die if we lose the FBS games, NDSU will be OK if we keep winning at the FCS level. But, I really feel that fan and media interest would suffer if we lose the FBS games. The program won't generate quite as much excitement as is currently does.
    How could NDSU generate anymore excitement than it does now? You really cant if you are realistic. If some fans lose interest because of no FBS game I would question them being a real fan. And I usually wouldnt do that.