Page 1249 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 24974911491199123912471248124912501251125912991349 ... LastLast
Results 12,481 to 12,490 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Have you seen FAU's arena? Seating for 2,900. 35-4, Final Four team.

https://fausports.com/sports/2018/5/...rena-html.aspx

https://cbs12.com/resources/media/a0...?1679689862322

http://www.trbimg.com/img-51913fd2/t...13/599/599x259

As much as I'd like to see us replace the SHAC, thats not the obstacle. Success with coaching/winning is what really matters.
    Guess you could argue a new arena might attract better players.

They do have a 30k football stadium that is pretty decent.
    FAU has three things we don't, location, location, location. I do 100% agree on one thing, I would much rather us spend some serious cash to fund the basketball program at a mid major level over spending a dime on facilities. Finding the cash for a coach and NIL payments would do more for Bison basketball and our future FBS prospects than anything else. I just don't see that happening right now though. Money is tight and we seem pretty content with making the Summit league finals.

Quote Originally Posted by tjamz View Post
    The fact that you (and I) have to ask this tells me all I need to know about CUSA. They're only slightly more relevant than MVFC. I mean, maybe they are a short term landing spot, but I'm not sure there's a conference that would pick us up in the future that isn't interested in picking us up now. I think it's far more likely that the FBS P5 consolidates into 4 super conferences with 20 teams each (and only play each other) and then the G5 starts looking at upper tier FCS schools in an attempt to remain somewhat relevant. Especially in the era of NIL and Transfer Portal.

The best bet is probably to embrace the idea that we will likely be a development program for P5 schools, giving fringe P5 athletes a chance to shine early on rather than ride the bench or be perpetually buried in a depth chart. The theory would be that by openly embracing that you would attract a higher level athlete to your program for 1 to 3 years which would theoretically result in a dominant performance year in and year out. Perhaps by showing we can and do produce top tier athletes that can lead to a potential invite as conferences and the league evolve. It' not what I *want* for NDSU or college sports, but what I want (MWC invite or my hypothetical PAC rebuild invite) has very little to do with the current reality.
    Well, I think it was you in another thread that said you've never been less excited about a fb season. That's pretty much where I'm at and until the landscape changes significantly, I think my interest will continue to wane.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    Not as much spreading out for G5 conferences.
    I would disagree. The AAC stretches from San Antonio to Temple. From Tulsa to Miami.

The Sun Belt stretches from San Marcos Tx to Virginia.

The MW goes from Honolulu to Laramie Wyoming.

Distance wise you would have long trips to all 3. However, evidence shows some G5 conferences are willing to really spread out to get who they want.

Your location is not travel concern as much as the school is located in a smallish city. You can't help that but it is something conferences will consider because TV providers play a huge role in all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    I would disagree. The AAC stretches from San Antonio to Temple. From Tulsa to Miami.

Distance wise you would have long trips to all 3. However, evidence shows some G5 conferences are willing to really spread out to get who they want.

Your location is not travel concern as much as the school is located in a smallish city. You can't help that but it is something conferences will consider because TV providers play a huge role in all of this.
    ^^^ This, except that broader FM ain't that small and is growing at quite a clip
    But ... if/when NDSU moves up, it will be because ESPN/FOX wants them too. I still like our odds, but we'll see ...

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Hawaii is an outlier we all know that.

"Not as much spreading out for G5 conferences" is what I stated. Look at the P5 and B1G. California to New York? G5 conferences aren't pulling that off. There's a cute little "spread" on schools but for the most part the G5s aren't going to be branching out like that.

I do think you will move up before long. Realignment is still afoot and shows no sign of slowing down. And you are correct that tv providers will be the deciding factor. Your location won't matter to anybody if a conference can get a better tv deal by adding you.

To this point, the MW's providers, CBS/Fox have not agreed to bump up the deal for any expansion candidates who wished to join the conference. UTSA, UNT and Rice wanted to move to the MW but the providers didn't want to play ball. Those schools are in large markets but they share the fans among the 212 Texas universities.

I am not certain, that CBS/Fox would give the MW a raise for OSU/Wazzu even though they are the only game in town for Corvalis and Pullman. Two small towns though both schools have large enrollment numbers.

"Not as much spreading out for G5 conferences" is what I stated. Look at the P5 and B1G. California to New York? G5 conferences aren't pulling that off. There's a cute little "spread" on schools but for the most part the G5s aren't going to be branching out like that.
    They absolutely will if they can get a better tv deal by doing so. The AAC is not an outlier with their spread. Their commissioner is trying to get OSU/Wazzu as we speak. If he succeeds, we are talking Corvalis Oregon to Miami. That is as large a spread as you can get unless they add Hawaii.

This spreading is in your favor if you wish to move up. If a conference wants you they won't care where you are. The tv people only look at potential viewers instead of map coordinates.

You can do a four time zone conference with B1G media money.
    But will it work with just 1/10th of that money ... if that.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    You can do a four time zone conference with B1G media money.
    But will it work with just 1/10th of that money ... if that.
    It is already happening..Even at the G5 level..

It is already happening..Even at the G5 level..
    But is it sustainable on G5 budgets.