Page 1231 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 23173111311181122112291230123112321233124112811331 ... LastLast
Results 12,301 to 12,310 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Complicating all of this is the message that people like Haley and Herder keep pushing – that G5 and top of FCS will merge into a new second tier
    It's a cool idea, but ...

Show me one single piece of evidence that any G5 conference will willingly separate from the P5 at any point in the next decade
    This thinking just offers fuel to the stay-FCS crowd, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Complicating all of this is the message that people like Haley and Herder keep pushing – that G5 and top of FCS will merge into a new second tier

Show me one single piece of evidence that any G5 conference will willingly separate from the P5 at any point in the next decade
    It’s just classic “what I want to happen” thinking so people do whatever they can to rationalize it.

Rubethought
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    It’s just classic “what I want to happen” thinking so people do whatever they can to rationalize it.

Rubethought
    Agree

It's similar to the argument that the MVFC can just 'move up'. Would be wonderful, but ...

If the PAC dies, the overwhelming odds are that there are then 9 FBS conferences instead of 10 so that each can make more money off the new CFP

Money is driving all this folks, and as much as we wish it wasn't, it ain't gonna stop

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I agree that is the most likely target but $4m/yr is going to be a very tough pill to swallow.
    I don't care what Oregon State and Wazzu have to swallow..The MW didn't break up the Pac. Those folks did it to themselves.

However, a couple of points. We don't know if any of the Pac 4 has any interest in joining the MW.

There could be a merger of sorts but that is really only attractive if Stanford is in the mix

In the unlikely event of a merger, it would almost certainly be under the Pac brand and the MW would dissolve.

To dissolve it would take 9 votes and it seems unlikely that would happen. The Pac people surely don't want all of the MW schools. Nobody is going to vote themselves out of a conference.

Stanford and Cal are trying to figure something out and they could ride out independence for football and house their other sports somewhere.

Wazzu and OSU have a tougher row to hoe. The MW would happily offer them a home but only...and this is a big only..CBS and Fox agree to open up the tv contract to pay for those 2 schools.

This is something they wouldn't do when the MW was seeking to add, SMU Rice Tulsa and UTSA. The problem for the Pac 2 is in reality they are 2 small market schools in the eyes of providers.

College sports on their best days was unseemly as hell..Now it is rapidly moving towards sordid. What a mess.

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think the idea is that P5 (or 3 or 4) will branch themselves off and form their own system and give the G5 no other choice. Which at this rate, seems like a realistic scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    I think the idea is that P5 (or 3 or 4) will branch themselves off and form their own system and give the G5 no other choice. Which at this rate, seems like a realistic scenario.
    Obviously that is the "idea" - Show me any evidence that it is actually moving that way

You have the SEC/B1G as the P2, sure
    Then there are (still) 3 other "power" conferences
    Most of those schools will not get into the P2, and the P2 will never willingly shed the NCAA banner (and the NCAA has no balls, apparently)

Sorry, but they will drag the G5 along, especially if they stop playing FCS (which seems much more likely and imminent than any hypothetical split)

You're just perpetuating the myth

I sure as hell hope we can stop talking about this when the season starts

Obviously that is the "idea" - Show me any evidence that it is actually moving that way

Most of those schools will not get into the P2, and the P2 will never willingly shed the NCAA banner (and the NCAA has no balls, apparently)

Sorry, but they will drag the G5 along, especially if they stop playing FCS (which seems much more likely and imminent than any hypothetical split)

I think the B12 is positioning itself pretty well to remain in the conversation. I think a P4 system is more likely at this point. Curious what happens to the expanded 12-team CFP if there are only 4 conferences. Seems like you could whittle it back down to a 4-team playoff of the 4 conference champs. I would love that.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Perpetuating the myth. OK. I personally could care less what happens, just stating what seems to be the most obvious at this point. I could tell you a school that doesn't appear to be on anyone's list at the moment but it might hurt your feelers...

Sure looks like the big boys give a shit about the G5 at the moment, doesn't it?

Yeah, I am sick of it as well...the G5 has no use for the FCS, they can take what they want if they like but they don't need the FCS or the NCAA to start their own playoff. Outside of a handful of schools nobody in the FCS brings any value to them, most of the FCS is just dead weight.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    Perpetuating the myth. OK. I personally could care less what happens, just stating what seems to be the most obvious at this point. I could tell you a school that doesn't appear to be on anyone's list at the moment but it might hurt your feelers...

Sure looks like the big boys give a shit about the G5 at the moment, doesn't it?
    Then why the fuck are you here, other than to shit on NDSU?

And no, you'll never hurt my feelings. At the end of the day, I will happily support NDSU wherever they reside

and you just contradicted yourself