Page 1155 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 15565510551105114511531154115511561157116512051255 ... LastLast
Results 11,541 to 11,550 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer10 View Post
    Remember when the "FCS Forever" crowd scoffed at the notion that NDSU needs to move up now while there may be a door open? Well the NCAA is trying to make that door much harder to open for FCS schools going forward...
    https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/sta...27079640649729
    https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/6/28/...s-schools.aspx
    https://herosports.com/fee-to-transi...increase-bzbz/

The NCAA is proposing raising the fee to move up to the FBS from the current $5,000 to $5 Million... Talk about inflation
    This is not approved yet, but it is reported that it would be effective immediately once approved. This apparently won't apply to schools already in the FBS transition process (like Sam Houston, JMU, etc. right now).
    #1 The "FCS Forever" crowd at NDSU is a made-up boogeyman for the "we needed to be FBS yesterday" crowd.
    #2 If a one-time $5M fee is an issue you probably have no hope of sustaining an FBS level athletic budget - if that scares schools away from making the leap it's just less competition for NDSU. The fact it was $5k was a joke, that's like charging someone an extra nickel to upgrade to first class.
    #3 NDSU's biggest hurdle, by far, towards moving to FBS remains finding a willing conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    #1 The "FCS Forever" crowd at NDSU is a made-up boogeyman for the "we needed to be FBS yesterday" crowd.
    #2 If a one-time $5M fee is an issue you probably have no hope of sustaining an FBS level athletic budget - if that scares schools away from making the leap it's just less competition for NDSU. The fact it was $5k was a joke, that's like charging someone an extra nickel to upgrade to first class.
    #3 NDSU's biggest hurdle, by far, towards moving to FBS remains finding a willing conference.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Nothing is ever as bad (or good) as it seems at first blush. But I’d hesitate to say this is a good thing.

I know the FCS forever thing has kinda become a joke because those guys won’t stop talking about UND for some strange reason, but there still is a portion of the actual fanbase that wants to stay FCS. And an even larger one that still says we need to wait and see what happens.

Well now we’ve seen what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Default Re: Boise State agrees NDSU to MWC

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    That’s an interesting perspective especially around here where one of the major problems is the profile of the 2nd in-state public institution. Curious that you seem to feel MN would be better off with something that looks more like ND Higher Ed structure and a number of people in ND think their state would be better served with a system that looks more like yours.

Also, I’m not sure what’s bad for society about people on the margin academically taking a shot.

ND Higher Ed structure and a number of people in ND think their state would be better served with a system that looks more like yours.

Also, I’m not sure what’s bad for society about people on the margin academically taking a shot.[/QUOTE]

I think the ND, SD, Iowa, Colorado system is far superior to the MN or WI system. Two quality options with different specializations in different settings is ideal. You can serve a larger pool of prospective students without having to go out of state. With a population of 5m in MN we should have a second high quality option. Dinkytown is not for everyone and the drop off between public option #1 and #2 here is just too great. Saying that as an alumni of MSU sucks but its the truth, I wouldn't send my kids there if they had better options. Not that I'm taking a census of west metro high schoolers, but my general perception is all 4 Dakota schools rank higher for prospective students then any non-UofM Minnesota public schools. Part is perception, but all four are probably just are better schools statically.

Back to topic, putting more students on the fence into our state schools is just going to exacerbate the perception problem when KPIs get impacted. Everyone deserves a shot, to your point, but we need to stratify our admission standards between institutions before we push a bunch of kids into the system. Worst case is that we water down the whole system and upper tier students, academically, that can leave, do leave. It would be a massive win for the Dakota schools because that's only place we have reciprocity.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Nothing is ever as bad (or good) as it seems at first blush. But I’d hesitate to say this is a good thing.

I know the FCS forever thing has kinda become a joke because those guys won’t stop talking about UND for some strange reason, but there still is a portion of the actual fanbase that wants to stay FCS. And an even larger one that still says we need to wait and see what happens.

Well now we’ve seen what happens.
    I wouldn't say it's a good thing either but it's also not something to use as proof that NDSU should've tried to go FBS Independent or begged to get into a league like CUSA using any means possible. It's not going to make or break an NDSU to FBS move is all I'm saying.

NDSU Fatigue is Real. going FBS gives NDSU a shot in the arm. it is needed and I will say our future depends on it.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The $5m one time fee isn’t much of a hurdle imo. I mean, we just built a $50m indoor practice field.

The bigger challenge for some schools will be this one
    https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/sta...735744513?s=20

They are going to require 16 sports with 210 scholarships valued at least $6m per year. Not sure where we stand now with that, but assume it’s not a show stopper. For some schools it might be.

Last I recall we had around 190 scholarships and almost all of them paid by an endowment. Seems like a small gap to close , and probably just adding 22 football ones would do it.

I’d guess other FCS schools are not that close.
    Last edited by BigHorns; 06-29-2023 at 01:01 AM.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I have equal disinterest in both Mountain West and post-raid AAC. NDSU has more of a history with the Sunbelt.

Join the MAC or go Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Bullshit
    He said he had no idea, and that nobody outside PAC leadership really knows, despite many claiming they do

But it's nice to know that you listen to Bison 1660
    Embrace the future bro
    It's coming with a vengeance ...
    From the day USC and UCLA left for the B1G I've been saying/expecting/predicting:

- 4 corners to BXII
    - UW/UO to B1G
    - Cali-Stan to B1G sometime later
    - WasSU and OrSU to MWC

The wild card in that is SDSUred: Do they go PAC and help it survive.

Reading other forums, the PAC may end up with a streaming only deal. That would be death to the PAC.

So, you've confused my thoughts and opinions with someone on an FCC Class B license AM station that nary garners a preset button in any of my vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    From the day USC and UCLA left for the B1G I've been saying/expecting/predicting:

- 4 corners to BXII
    - UW/UO to B1G
    - Cali-Stan to B1G sometime later
    - WasSU and OrSU to MWC

The wild card in that is SDSUred: Do they go PAC and help it survive.

Reading other forums, the PAC may end up with a streaming only deal. That would be death to the PAC.

So, you've confused my thoughts and opinions with someone on an FCC Class B license AM station that nary garners a preset button in any of my vehicles.
    I can’t stand listening to Jack either. Glad he’s not our PxP guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk