Page 1076 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 765769761026106610741075107610771078108611261176 ... LastLast
Results 10,751 to 10,760 of 13493

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    You can replace "other sports" with "men's basketball" - no other sport outside of football really moves the needle when it comes to making a school desirable for conferences. I think NDSU has plenty of alumni support to support an FBS program - donor contributions right now are more than many G5 schools. The main problem is and always has been geography.
    I agree I feel NDSU and their supporters could support a move to an FBS conference. The key question is if it's the best option for the programs. There are a number of factors making it difficult, but I agree at this point geography is by far #1.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    There's no doubt geography is the main reason NDSU is still stuck in the FCS. App State...JMU...Coastal...even shitty SHSU. all have geography over NDSU and look at 'em now.
    These are all perfect examples of the role geography plays in the decisions of FBS G5 conferences in adding teams. I feel confident eventually something will happen that allows the Bison to make the move. Geography is not an absolute blocker, but it's a huge hurdle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    It can be a big deal for some kids who want parents to be able to drive to their home games.
    I think this is a bigger factor for NDSU to consider conferences. All other things being equal this would help more with recruiting in the MAC compared to the MWC. They already recruit some in the MAC footprint. They do very little in the MWC. They could overcome that, but I think it would take longer.

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    This is a fair point.

I know what everyone means by “geography,” but I don’t think FBS conferences look at NDSU and say, “if only they were 3 hours further south on I94…” it’s more likely a combination of things on ByeSon’s list…
    I don't think being in Minneapolis would have a huge impact on the decision of conferences to invite the Bison. Minneapolis is still well out of the footprint of the G5 conferences. If NDSU was a bigger university and a candidate for the B1G this would have been much different journey.

Ultimately a key factor specifically affecting the Bison is the two closest G5 conferences haven't added anyone in the past few years. If the MAC or MWC do add someone, I do expect NDSU will be near the top of their expansion list.

Another minor factor well down the list is officials. If the MWC adds NDSU, they will be sending their officials a long way to Fargo for all sports. If the MAC adds them, they will be using similar officials who already work/worked in the Summit or MVFC. Most officials are already paid extra to go to the Dakota schools because of the increased travel (officials pay for their own travel out of their game check). If they recruit any officials in the Fargo area for the MWC, they would be flying every week to their games. At least now they can occasionally drive to a Dakota school or UNI. If a Fargo official advances to the MAC, they are likely flying every week. They get a better game check so that helps. I don't believe there are any premiums in the MAC. I do know officials in the MVFC who have moved to Orlando and Spokane but continue to work in the MVFC. They fly every week but knew that going in. Some weeks they probably work for free after airfare and an extra hotel night.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    It can be a big deal for some kids who want parents to be able to drive to their home games.
    if you're FBS you fly to watch your kids!

this ain't Concordia FFS
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

DORMIE is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Maybe it's the fact that you have to be invited by a conference,
    not just beg to get in anything. Also you must add 22 full rides plus
    cost of attendance ($3,400) plus the same for women and then
    double all the salaries. Getting tougher to raise funds as many of your
    go to people are getting older and have to be replaced by younger people
    like Chapo. Only he hasn't raised a dime for the program, just complains.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DORMIE View Post
    Maybe it's the fact that you have to be invited by a conference,
    not just beg to get in anything. Also you must add 22 full rides plus
    cost of attendance ($3,400) plus the same for women and then
    double all the salaries. Getting tougher to raise funds as many of your
    go to people are getting older and have to be replaced by younger people
    like Chapo. Only he hasn't raised a dime for the program, just complains.
    Eh, the current older donors were the younger donors previously. It's the natural order of things. Raising funds is about selling a vision and getting fans/donors excited. Raising funds will continue to grow through fan/donor turnover provided that the fans/donors have something to get excited about. I don't believe it's any harder to raise funds now than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. The funds necessary to make the move will be there if an invite comes.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post

this ain't Concordia FFS
    Oh so now only upper class families can watch their kids? No way my family could fly across the country to watch me play. geez youre a dick.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post

I don't think being in Minneapolis would have a huge impact on the decision of conferences to invite the Bison. Minneapolis is still well out of the footprint of the G5 conferences. If NDSU was a bigger university and a candidate for the B1G this would have been much different journey.

If NDSU had everything U of M had, they would already be in the Big 10 or 12, and it would have nothing to do with their geographical location. That’s kinda the point I’m trying to make (and maybe I’m wrong). But if the Goophs are our case study, its all the other things that NDSU doesn’t have (that have nothing to do with geography) that are preventing a move up.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Why id UMN the comparison here? They have UW and Iowa in their backyard, and how many other schools less than a 10 hour drive? Northwestern, Michigan and State, Nebraska, Indiana off the top of my head? That's nothing compared to what NDSU is looking at for geography when they bounce.

Geography and money are the king, especially in NC$$ sports.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Oh so now only upper class families can watch their kids? No way my family could fly across the country to watch me play. geez youre a dick.
    that's what COA & NIL is for, the parents can use that for plane tickets, maybe you're the dick

and Dormie. if NDSU isn't going FBS THIS year or NEXT the Bison Fatigue and empty seats will make your head spin.

NDSU has a LEGIT FREAKIN CHANCE AT A COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF SPOT if they are in the MWC or AAC and they are the #1 Rated Conference...

think about that ....
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

this ain't Concordia FFS
    This might be up their with the dumbest shit you've ever posted in this thread and that's saying something.

that's what COA & NIL is for, the parents can use that for plane tickets, maybe you're the dick

and Dormie. if NDSU isn't going FBS THIS year or NEXT the Bison Fatigue and empty seats will make your head spin.

NDSU has a LEGIT FREAKIN CHANCE AT A COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF SPOT if they are in the MWC or AAC and they are the #1 Rated Conference...

think about that ....
    Cost of Attendance and NIL are for the kids. Not the parents.
    College of Business Alumnus