Page 1063 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 635639631013105310611062106310641065107311131163 ... LastLast
Results 10,621 to 10,630 of 13486

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    St Francis of the NEC announced they are ending all 19 of their Division I athletic programs.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...m/11510364002/

I expect more to come if schools are required to pay athletes. This will have a lot of unintended consequences.
    Yep, they folded up their athletic department because they can’t afford to pay athletes that that are not paying. That makes sense.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

One could argue that a college with 2,600 students has no business being in Division I.

St Francis of the NEC announced they are ending all 19 of their Division I athletic programs.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...m/11510364002/

I expect more to come if schools are required to pay athletes. This will have a lot of unintended consequences.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    One could argue that a college with 2,600 students has no business being in Division I.
    Tulsa and Holy Cross are very small as well.
    College of Business Alumnus

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Yep, they folded up their athletic department because they can’t afford to pay athletes that that are not paying. That makes sense.
    It just shows how little "profit" many of the D1 programs make. If you raise expenses further, more will fold.

Sounds easy to say "just pay the football players, screw everyone else", but title IX will make that impossible. As soon as one team is paid, all the others will demand equity.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    That’s a silly take. They’ll save millions in coaching salaries, travel costs, and athletic department support staff.

It just shows how little "profit" many of the D1 programs make. If you raise expenses further, more will fold.

Sounds easy to say "just pay the football players, screw everyone else", but title IX will make that impossible. As soon as one team is paid, all the others will demand equity.
    Tiny private school folds dept. + gender politics + what do you mean pay people for their work = the sky is falling.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

A school dropping athletics completely? Good.

As much as we've been programmed to believe athletics is "co-curricular" at all levels, it's becoming more and more hogwash. School is school; sport is sport. "Student-athlete" is somewhere between misnomer and oxymoron.

Want little Johnny or Janey to be a star athlete? Two words: Canadian model -> private clubs not normally affiliated with academic institutions, and when they are they are private academic institutions. Mom and Dad should be paying for all, full price, of their offspring's athletic endeavors. We are socializing the cost of sports at public institutions across the tax base. Why is a fixed income retiree paying for HS athletics? For the school, yes; athletics, no.

And I'd pull athletics out of all universities. Communities would still support what is important to them. Grand Forks would likely have a Western Hockey League franchise. Fargo would likely have a football team in some new league. But sports that can't generate the funds to play would disappear, and so what. That's the free market. Why are we socializing the costs of sports that have little broad interest and can't self-sustain at the gate.

St. Francis dropped 19 sports and an athletic department? I'd say they took an honest look at themselves, realized they are a university first, and prioritized.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post

As much as we've been programmed to believe athletics is "co-curricular" at all levels, it's becoming more and more hogwash. School is school; sport is sport. "Student-athlete" is somewhere between misnomer and oxymoron.

Want little Johnny or Janey to be a star athlete? Two words: Canadian model -> private clubs not normally affiliated with academic institutions, and when they are they are private academic institutions. Mom and Dad should be paying for all, full price, of their offspring's athletic endeavors. We are socializing the cost of sports at public institutions across the tax base. Why is a fixed income retiree paying for HS athletics? For the school, yes; athletics, no.

And I'd pull athletics out of all universities. Communities would still support what is important to them. Grand Forks would likely have a Western Hockey League franchise. Fargo would likely have a football team in some new league. But sports that can't generate the funds to play would disappear, and so what. That's the free market. Why are we socializing the costs of sports that have little broad interest and can't self-sustain at the gate.

St. Francis dropped 19 sports and an athletic department? I'd say they took an honest look at themselves, realized they are a university first, and prioritized.
    There is definitely some truth to what you speak. From a devil's advocate standpoint, do we exclude a large number of kids from athletics and all the positives if we were to go this route? There are a number of kids that would never have the opportunity to be involved in athletics if funding was solely left up to their parents. It's sadly unfortunate but it's 100% true. There are definitely some warts with how youth, high school and college athletics are run in this country but sometimes the kids that benefit the most from involvement in athletics are likely the ones that would be left out of a system that you describe above.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    There is definitely some truth to what you speak. From a devil's advocate standpoint, do we exclude a large number of kids from athletics and all the positives if we were to go this route? There are a number of kids that would never have the opportunity to be involved in athletics if funding was solely left up to their parents. It's sadly unfortunate but it's 100% true. There are definitely some warts with how youth, high school and college athletics are run in this country but sometimes the kids that benefit the most from involvement in athletics are likely the ones that would be left out of a system that you describe above.
    The operators of private sports clubs would find a way to get talent in their programs.

As far as "positives", there are other mechanisms to get kids those same positives without the costs of athletics. We've been programmed to believe that it has to be athletics. I learned just as much about hard work, tenacity, responsibility, leadership, commitment, working on the farm or at a job during HS as I did wearing a hockey jersey.*

*Before you say it: club team. Paid my own way, or worked, or begged for private donations, for gear, travel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post

Yeah, that’s not how the system in Canada works. They have school teams. They have community center teams. And they have club teams.