Page 1016 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 16516916966100610141015101610171018102610661116 ... LastLast
Results 10,151 to 10,160 of 13493

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    Oh there would be an invite from CUSA immediately if NDSU stated that they were interested in accepting it. "FCS Forever" isn't a fair label, however, "FCS Except for The Perfect FBS Situation" doesn't roll off the tongue and as you've pointed out many times before the perfect FBS situation doesn't exist for NDSU. I think Churchill said "Perfection is the enemy of progress"
    So it's like a teenage boy with a raging boner and a teenage girl all hormoned up at at prom dance just staring at each other waiting for one to ask the other to dance while the DJ cues up Every Rose Has it's Thorn?

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    CUSA:
    Southland 2.0
    Best teams left, the only remaining good teams want out.
    Less than half our media deal.
    Weeknight games.
    Easily worst FBS conference in history, no chance at CFP.
    Terrible geography.

CUSA is most definitely not progress. We die there.
    Your problem is you have no vision and are a pessimist. I'll bet you were against the FCS move as well. Don't be afraid to say it there were a plenty. I would have hoped most would have learned the error of their thinking and under estimating NDSU and it's supporters!

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    Nevada played a game at Wyoming about 15 years ago and it snowed..The game was in September. There are a lots of cold weather games in the MW. In addition most of the really cold games are at elevation as well..Because the MW tv deal is based almost solely on PST and MST time slots the vast majority of those really cold games are played at night..
    snow and weather can definitely make things fun during a football game...unless that weather prevents anyone from getting to the game. Not saying that's going to happen....it definitely would've this season during the dates Chapo used...just bullshittin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Your problem is you have no vision and are a pessimist. I'll bet you were against the FCS move as well. Don't be afraid to say it there were a plenty. I would have hoped most would have learned the error of their thinking and under estimating NDSU and it's supporters!
    Not sure about taper but I'm 100% a pessimist. You can blame MN professional sports for that. Fuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    When they go FBS, the attendance will largely be determined by how meaningless the game is, ie how many L's they have in relation to the cold weather. There's no question NDSU football has a massive chunk of older fans who enjoy the safety of the Fargodome. But...I mean...NDSU isn't losing in FBS ever. All the recruits....best conference...massive NIL deals.....40K let's go.
    So, you’re saying that there have been mostly meaningful games played in November at Huntington Bank then? And that the university that normally plays there has few, if any, older fans?
    Don't believe everything you think.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I certainly don't have a crystal ball, but I have to ask if you're looking at what you think will happen or what you want to happen. I'm basing my view on these things:
    UND to Big Sky. Unmitigated disaster without a partner. Travel costs killed them. Dropped multiple sports, ongoing lawsuits. The BSC was actually so desperate to get rid of them they waived the exit fee.
    UMass. Former FCS champ that believed they had outgrown it. Never found a real home. Never had more than 3 FBS wins in a season. Revolving door of coaches.
    Idaho. WAC collapsed, they dropped back to FCS with no other options. Better leadership than...
    NMSU. 1 winning season since 2002. Independent after the WAC collapse until the CUSA needed warm bodies.
    FAMU. Former FCS champ. Attempt at FBS move in 2004 was such a disaster the NCAA changed their rules to prevent programs from causing this amount of self-harm again.

I wouldn't even consider trading spots with any of these. Without the groundwork I believe we wouldn't be successful.
    I believe the groundwork for an NDSU move to FBS is much further along than UMass, Idaho or FAMU when they moved. And if it's not than I question what the hell the admin has been doing. I can understand the fear of ending up like those schools to a degree. However, I just don't really view the predicaments that those schools are in as being that much worse than the predicament than NDSU is currently in. UMass still has name recognition equal to or above NDSU and they have a Men's BB program that would consistently wipe the floor with NDSU. Yes their football team has been unsuccessful at the FBS level but I think some of that is because they aren't a football centric school with the infrastructure to support it like we do. Idaho left for FBS to keep up with Boise. They struggled to find a conference that fit and eventually had to put their tales between their legs and move back to FCS...where they are currently competing in the exact same division of football as NDSU is currently competing in. FAMU was completely unprepared for a move to the FBS and didn't lay any groundwork to make it a success. None of those three situations seem even remotely realistic as possibilities of happening to NDSU. If you're looking for a realistic comparison that most of us would not consider a success, than I would point to Georgia Southern or Western Kentucky. Those are programs that are more similar to NDSU and I think they are more realistic in terms of what could possibly happen to NDSU (in a negative) way if we move to FBS. We aren't going to turn into a 2 win FBS team unless the entire Football Program infrastructure falls apart. However, I do believe that it is reasonable to fear that we could turn into .500 FBS team that is on the border to bowl eligibility and never really makes any real strides forward in FBS. In that scenario we would likely end up in a similar situation where the football fan interest and excitement wanes significantly. I don't see that as anymore negative than our current FCS situation.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    No vision? I've been repeatedly on record saying we need to increase enrollment and improve MBB. I have vastly more vision than the FBS or Bust crowd.
    Pessimist? No, I'm a realist. I can see the reasons we haven't received an invite.
    I was a student during the D1 transition. I will say I didn't have a strong opinion either way at first, but after we beat Montana I was all in.
    In other words, you're completely wrong about me. Don't attack the messenger.

CUSA:
    Southland 2.0
    Best teams left, the only remaining good teams want out.
    Less than half our media deal.
    Weeknight games.
    Easily worst FBS conference in history, no chance at CFP.
    Terrible geography.

CUSA is most definitely not progress. We die there.
    I would argue that we are dying now. The ceiling in FCS isn't going to be raised.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy daycare View Post
    snow and weather can definitely make things fun during a football game...unless that weather prevents anyone from getting to the game. Not saying that's going to happen....it definitely would've this season during the dates Chapo used...just bullshittin.
    Snow/Weather prevents people from getting to the games now. The Fargodome isn't able to make the travel any less risky.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    So, you’re saying that there have been mostly meaningful games played in November at Huntington Bank then? And that the university that normally plays there has few, if any, older fans?
    Wins and losses will obviously dictate attendance. And of course having a regional rival like Wisconsin or Iowa helps…so regional historic rivals which NDSU won’t have at FBS. No that doesn’t mean FCS forever.