Page 685 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 1855856356756836846856866876957357851185 ... LastLast
Results 6,841 to 6,850 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I think he means there is going to be "P2" and "afterthought" as the two categories into which schools get sorted by the national media. There will still be subdivisions at the D1 level. None of it will matter to Disney, Fox, CBS or NBC.
    They all need content though. Christ, you can watch the second tier of English football on ESPN right now.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    They all need content though. Christ, you can watch the second tier of English football on ESPN right now.
    Well there's nothing going on right now. On Saturdays from labor day to thanksgiving? ABC, Fox, CBS, NBC. Each one will have maybe two games on per day. There's 8 games, 16 teams. Each one has a dedicated sports channel, so there's another 8 games, 16 teams. 32 teams playing against each other on 8 channels. The non-P2 will be lucky to be on ESPN2 and FS2. Then you mix in NBA, college basketball, soccer, etc. Good luck making broadcast television.

I'd predict by the time OU, UT, UCLA and USC all change conferences, you'll have a hard time finding a G5 game without using a streaming service*.

*On saturdays
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

We drove to Indianapolis and back this weekend and I was trying to find something to listen to and tried ESPNU - it was two guys talking about their weekend rounds of golf. As an aside, golfers are getting as annoying as vegans crossfitters - or maybe more so, because vegan crossfitters don't do radio shows on ESPNU or perform PR functions for Saudi Arabia.

Then I switched to EPSN Extra where all I could hear was "<plop> <long pause> <plop>" - I thought something was wrong with the broadcast feed until an announcer said, "he's gotta go for a block here" - so my best guess was that they were doing a radio broadcast of FREAKING CORNHOLE!

/rant

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Then I switched to EPSN Extra where all I could hear was "<plop> <long pause> <plop>" - I thought something was wrong with the broadcast feed until an announcer said, "he's gotta go for a block here" - so my best guess was that they were doing a radio broadcast of FREAKING CORNHOLE!
    /rant
    Was that on before or after Ultimate Team Frisbee? <-- not kidding

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Well there's nothing going on right now. On Saturdays from labor day to thanksgiving? ABC, Fox, CBS, NBC. Each one will have maybe two games on per day. There's 8 games, 16 teams. Each one has a dedicated sports channel, so there's another 8 games, 16 teams. 32 teams playing against each other on 8 channels. The non-P2 will be lucky to be on ESPN2 and FS2. Then you mix in NBA, college basketball, soccer, etc. Good luck making broadcast television.

I'd predict by the time OU, UT, UCLA and USC all change conferences, you'll have a hard time finding a G5 game without using a streaming service*.

*On saturdays
    This is spot on.

All the major media money and airtime will be sucked up by the P2
    G5 will get scraps like the rest of us.

The notion that FBS is big money is true for a small percentage of the teams. Many/most of the G5 programs are subsidized and wouldn’t break even on their own.

Go read the message boards of G5 schools like MTSU and it’s obvious they are hurting for cash.
    We also get more media exposure today than they do.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    This is spot on.

All the major media money and airtime will be sucked up by the P2
    G5 will get scraps like the rest of us.

The notion that FBS is big money is true for a small percentage of the teams. Many/most of the G5 programs are subsidized and wouldn’t break even on their own.

Go read the message boards of G5 schools like MTSU and it’s obvious they are hurting for cash.
    We also get more media exposure today than they do.
    Well, durrr, that’s a big part of the reason that a number of people have been dubious about moving up. You get all the costs and none of the benefits.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I got caught up watching Jai Alai the other day on ESPN2. Somehow, it sucked me in. I'm so ashamed. The funny thing was that they were using the logo and feel of The OCHO broadcasting from Dodgeball. It was on at about 4p on a Tuesday, which is a time I normally don't watch TV but was taking a weirdly timed break.

I think that ESPN learned a bit about broadening their content during the early days of the pandemic when all sports just totally shut down. I remember watching Norwegian High Diving competitions at that point and loving it. Never bought into the marble races, though.

By the way, Jai Alai sucks. I remember it fondly when I last thought about it in the 1970's or maybe from Miami Vice in the 80's but seeing it in action recently, super boring.
    Insert something clever here...

Flipping through the guide I've seen spikeball, pickleball, cornhole and axe throwing championships on the the nationwide sports channels.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Well, durrr, that’s a big part of the reason that a number of people have been dubious about moving up. You get all the costs and none of the benefits.
    There are a long list of benefits to being in the MW compared to the MVFC/Summit. But yeah, national airtime likely would not be one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

There are a long list of benefits to being in the MW compared to the MVFC/Summit. But yeah, national airtime likely would not be one of them.
    What "national" airtime so we get now? Frisco and playoffs, maybe an FBS game. MWC/AAC would surely beat that, no? Even MACtion would. CUSA is unlikely to, though

Like I've said all along, let $$ dictate the move. If it isn't an upgrade, then it's not a good move

I can also think of more than a few teams in the MVFC that are significantly subsidized compared to NDSU, fwiw