Page 1061 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 615619611011105110591060106110621063107111111161 ... LastLast
Results 10,601 to 10,610 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    This could be a good thing and not necessarily the dividing rod that some think, especially if coupled with serious NIL reform. The collectives would just become formal donors again and all the $$ would flow through the schools where it would be subject to equitable sharing, etc

Just speculation, but it’s possible with DB on the NCAA committee, NDSU knows NIL is soon to be subject to a massive change in scope, which is why there is no movement here. Just a guess and I have no idea, but some type of reform is needed
    Equitable sharing? Is that like wealth redistribution?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    It can be whatever you/they want it to be

If you’re formally paying players that essentially work for a "non-profit", I would think that would put some constraints on NIL, no?

In return the players get benefits etc in addition to "salary"

If they really want NIL $$ autonomy, they go pro

NCAA has to take a stance here at some point and box out their turf, so to speak

I think what you will see is both..Athletes paid by the school as employees and and also free to sign NIL's.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It can be whatever you/they want it to be

If you’re formally paying players that essentially work for a "non-profit", I would think that would put some constraints on NIL, no?

In return the players get benefits etc in addition to "salary"

If they really want NIL $$ autonomy, they go pro

NCAA has to take a stance here at some point and box out their turf, so to speak
    I will be surprised if the NCAA does anything substantial, other than decide to pay players.

It will probably be both like MWC says. Athletic expenses will go up as all athletes (in all sports) demand salaries, and also NIL continues. The P5 aren’t going to want any limits on what they can spend for either salary or NIL.

The power conferences will spend crazy money, and the costs will go up for all schools. At some point I think a split is inevitable. There are a lot of schools that just can’t keep up with B1G and SEC spending. It will take $50M+ yearly just to be in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    I will be surprised if the NCAA does anything substantial, other than decide to pay players.

It will probably be both like MWC says. Athletic expenses will go up as all athletes (in all sports) demand salaries, and also NIL continues. The P5 aren’t going to want any limits on what they can spend for either salary or NIL.

The power conferences will spend crazy money, and the costs will go up for all schools. At some point I think a split is inevitable. There are a lot of schools that just can’t keep up with B1G and SEC spending. It will take $50M+ yearly just to be in the game.
    Right but NIL won't look like it does now is my point

If there is a split, you'll lose the best weekend of march madness, but then again, why would they leave when they're getting everything they want basically? The midmajors would have to choose to leave and I just don't see that happening. Table scraps and crumbs are worth it apparently ...

Right but NIL won't look like it does now is my point

If there is a split, you'll lose the best weekend of march madness, but then again, why would they leave when they're getting everything they want basically? The midmajors would have to choose to leave and I just don't see that happening. Table scraps and crumbs are worth it apparently ...
    When the table scraps and crumbs for a basketball tournament are worth as much or more than the TV deals for the entire athletic department, yeah they’re going to stick around.

That and brand value of getting to say you’re FBS and D1 and compete with the big boys (however accurate or inaccurate that may be) means your get millions more in tv deals, ticket fees, sponsorship, booster contributions.

Mid majors aren’t going anywhere and would band together to spend tens if not hundreds of millions to fight to make sure the high majors don’t go anywhere either.

Been saying it for about 15 years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    When the table scraps and crumbs for a basketball tournament are worth as much or more than the TV deals for the entire athletic department, yeah they’re going to stick around.

That and brand value of getting to say you’re FBS and D1 and compete with the big boys (however accurate or inaccurate that may be) means your get millions more in tv deals, ticket fees, sponsorship, booster contributions.

Mid majors aren’t going anywhere and would band together to spend tens if not hundreds of millions to fight to make sure the high majors don’t go anywhere either.

Been saying it for about 15 years now.
    If there's a split, it will most likely be only for football, and it will take a little more time.
    The G5 will eventually realize they can't compete with schools spending 10-20 times what they do.

The current realignment is all about those top schools joining the SEC and B1G.
    Once they get all the top brands, then they can just leave, like the european super league.
    They will take 90% of the media money with them.

If there's a split, it will most likely be only for football, and it will take a little more time.
    The G5 will eventually realize they can't compete with schools spending 10-20 times what they do.

Once they get all the top brands, then they can just leave, like the european super league.
    That sure looks like the strategy. But So far the supposed European super league hasn’t amounted to much. Of course plan B doesn’t look to terrible. If they can’t pull the whole thing off life still looks pretty good at the top of the pyramid.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Revenue sharing works for the NFL.
    It's OK to not be OK.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I just don't see how that will ever happen. If they leave the NCAA they will lose the ability to call themselves amateur sports and if they stay in the NCAA they have to have at least provide enough table scraps (As 92 described it) for the G5 to play along and not challenge them in court. I don't believe they want to be totally separate. They want the best of both worlds which is to control 90% of the dollars and the power and still be able to be under the NCAA umbrella so they can have the attention/passion/fan interest that is tied to College/Amateur sports. If they leave the NCAA and move further toward semi-professionalism, I think fan interest wanes.