Page 809 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 3097097597998078088098108118198599091309 ... LastLast
Results 8,081 to 8,090 of 13491

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Could just as easily argue staying FCS could destroy NDSU athletics. It is a completely uncompelling product that is on a massive decline that our school is charging its fanbase P5 prices to see. I can tell you right now that isn't sustainable, casual fans have basically lost interest in the program because FCS offers absolutely nothing to get excited for.
    Ya, the risk to the athletic department is just as great staying FCS as it is going FBS. However, to me staying FCS feels like giving up. I guess I’d rather fail striving for higher aspirations than failing to even try.

Let's hope this isn't Larson and Cook's thinking these days. Here's from Q and A with SB Nation's Jared Miller about the Bison game this week. This is why, if we intend to go FBS, we need be public about it and put this underachieving, short-sighted thinking to rest.

"The Bison haven’t lost more than two games in a season in more than a decade, have beaten six straight FBS opponents and have sent their last two head coaches to FBS jobs. Why hasn’t this program moved up from FCS?"
    “There’s a lot that goes into that question and believe me, it’s an age-old one as far as the FCS is concerned. Fans cry for it every year but the truth is, there’s more to it than just the wins and losses. First and foremost, NDSU would need to receive an official invite to an FBS conference for a move up to even be a possibility. As of now they have not received one. Even if they did, it would have to make sense for the program to accept one. The first hurdle is geography and right now the only two conferences that seem viable for them would be the MAC or the Mountain West. The Pac-12 will probably not be sending out any FCS invites soon, even to a program like North Dakota State. Let’s say they did get a call from the Mountain West, though, for example; NDSU would be a physical outlier and travel isn’t cheap. The financials say annual trips coming/going to Hawaii, Fresno State, San Diego State, etc. aren’t worth it. Finally, at the end of the day, the Bison likely aren’t going to want to give up the good thing they have going in the FCS where playoff trips are all but guaranteed and national titles are right there for the taking. Why give that up when the best option in the FBS is likely a mid-tier bowl game at best? They’re the cream of the crop right now and they know not to bite the hand that feeds them.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    Ya, the risk to the athletic department is just as great staying FCS as it is going FBS. However, to me staying FCS feels like giving up. I guess I’d rather fail striving for higher aspirations than failing to even try.
    Actually, I think the risk of staying FCS is much greater and I don't think its even close.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    Agreed, at this point it is giving up. That said, I guess some want to sit around and hold SDSU's hand forever because our athletic department would crumble without our precious regional rivals. I could give two shits if we ever played UND or USD again...I want SDSU to go up with us but I am not going to let them decide what is best for our program if it has to come down to that.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    Actually, I think the risk of staying FCS is much greater and I don't think its even close.
    I too believe the risk is greater staying FCS. But neither is going to kill the athletic department or school. That’s complete hyperbole. A big part College sports is to provide marketing and keep alumni connected with the school. That is most effective when there is excitement around the athletic programs. The excitement around football is waning staying FCS. Just seems like a complete waste to me to not try to capitalize on all of the success and all the other factors that make NDSU unique. There are obviously obstacles. None of them are insurmountable. What’s the worst that could happen if we move up? Umass? Idaho? That doesn’t seem any scarier than staying FCS and becoming Youngstown or Delaware.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Staying FCS won’t kill the athletic department but I do see NDSU’s reputation locally and nationally withering away slowly due to the big fish in a small pond narrative.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    Staying FCS won’t kill the athletic department but I do see NDSU’s reputation locally and nationally withering away slowly due to the big fish in a small pond narrative.
    We need to be invasive eh.

Lardsin must go!

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    Yep. The more we win in FCS, the less remarkable it is perceived to be.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Could just as easily argue staying FCS could destroy NDSU athletics. It is a completely uncompelling product that is on a massive decline that our school is charging its fanbase P5 prices to see. I can tell you right now that isn't sustainable, casual fans have basically lost interest in the program because FCS offers absolutely nothing to get excited for.
    And what makes fbs compelling is a shot at the Roady's Humanitarian Bowl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cx500d View Post
    And what makes fbs compelling is a shot at the Roady's Humanitarian Bowl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Getting a playoff spot, not sure it gets any more compelling than that possibility. With expansion in the works, the opportunity is there.

I will add the Roady's bowl or porta potty bowl or whatever is just as compelling to me as playing for another FCS title that is becoming more and more watered down with every year.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.