Page 189 of 1349 FirstFirst ... 891391791871881891901911992392896891189 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 13484

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: NDSU American Athletic Conference?

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Our minor sports are no where near the level of the AAC. Football only invite is a pipe dream.
    This^^^^. It's really all that needs to be said in regards to this topic, the rest is just the same re-hashed arguments about why FBS will or won't work at NDSU.

If a football only invite from the AAC came NDSU would be foolish not to do everything in their power to make it work. But why on God's green earth the AAC would even consider NDSU is beyond me. The author falls into the same trap many on here do in thinking that FBS moves are primarily competitively driven. Also, if he wrote the "adding NDSU would boost the AAC's image" bit with a straight face he's spectacularly naïve. That comment would get you laughed out of the room of AAC administrators or fans alike.

Quote Originally Posted by wagsabison View Post
    I’m curious how that discussion went as well. Little before my time and I don’t recall everything that was involved. I do vaguely remember the Big Sky not wanting us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And a Big Sky commissioner

stating later they regretted that decision.
    Last edited by Vet70; 11-14-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUguy View Post
    It's a good football conference and would allow for a football only option.
    Any proof to this statement? Seems very odd they would deny UConn to stay as a football only member and then invite another school as a football only member. But you sound very confident so maybe I am wrong

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Well part and maybe the only part to this is that UCONN football is complete trash and sucks money from the other schools for no gain. Just my humble opinion
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    Well part and maybe the only part to this is that UCONN football is complete trash and sucks money from the other schools for no gain. Just my humble opinion
    The no gain part you mentioned above is pretty ironic in regards to this discussion. What gain does NDSU bring the AAC? UConn is the only major state school in a state of 3.5M people and it's right in between the NYC and Boston metros. There's a lot of TV sets and a lot of potential AAC recruits in that area... a lot-lot more of both of those than are in ND and western MN.

People still believe success matters when it comes to an FBS invite. It's 99.99% tv/streaming viewership you can bring.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    The no gain part you mentioned above is pretty ironic in regards to this discussion. What gain does NDSU bring the AAC? UConn is the only major state school in a state of 3.5M people and it's right in between the NYC and Boston metros. There's a lot of TV sets and a lot of potential AAC recruits in that area... a lot-lot more of both of those than are in ND and western MN.
    I don’t think it’s irony at all. UCONN is crap and has always been crap with a crap football team. Having a state school in a state with 3.5 million people doesn’t mean you will get that let alone half of it. UCONN has decent basketball and that’s about it as far as I’m concerned. NDSU has a national brand that is continually growing. As far as what else NDSU brings to the AAC is that when that football teams goes against a P5 school or two it has a very strong chance of coming away with a W for the conference and improving the SOS for everyone involved. Instead you get UCONN trying to fend off any local FCS school and squeaking by with the only 1 or 2 Ws on its entire schedule.

If a move up to a G5 conference ever happens, this is the conference I thought would be the most fun because of the level of football being played.

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    I don’t think it’s irony at all. UCONN is crap and has always been crap with a crap football team. Having a state school in a state with 3.5 million people doesn’t mean you will get that let alone half of it. UCONN has decent basketball and that’s about it as far as I’m concerned. NDSU has a national brand that is continually growing. As far as what else NDSU brings to the AAC is that when that football teams goes against a P5 school or two it has a very strong chance of coming away with a W for the conference and improving the SOS for everyone involved. Instead you get UCONN trying to fend off any local FCS school and squeaking by with the only 1 or 2 Ws on its entire schedule.
    That's where I have a differing as to what really matters to these G5 conferences. I don't think adding a good football team matters to them as much as adding major TV markets and adding/strengthening recruiting areas does. If the quality of the football team is what matters every conference up to the P5 should be lining up at NDSU's door.

I can agree with that also. I’m thinking of it as a “football Only” option. It’s similar to what the B1G did with Rutgers and Maryland with the only difference is that both of those teams were pretty decent and at one time. While in the B1G, not so much.