Page 942 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 4428428929329409419429439449529921042 ... LastLast
Results 9,411 to 9,420 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Bowl games are cool and fun for the hardcore fans. I'd guess most here, being hardcore fans, would go or at least have an interest in going. I'd probably be at every one. But I wouldn't for a second think it's anything more than the exhibition money-grab game that it is.

A playoff system is far superior and that's the point of the conversation that was being had, for the latecomers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    I do honestly have yet to meet one college football fan that has told me that in their life they have traveled to a non-CFP bowl game. And I've lived in Texas for a decade...

I'm not even sure how to respond to someone rejecting any sort of playoff system in defense of the sanctity of bowl games lol
    Ive been to the Orange Bowl. Was not impressed with the pregame scene.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Bowl games are cool and fun for the hardcore fans. I'd guess most here, being hardcore fans, would go or at least have an interest in going. I'd probably be at every one. But I wouldn't for a second think it's anything more than the exhibition money-grab game that it is.

A playoff system is far superior and that's the point of the conversation that was being had, for the latecomers.
    A bowl game is in essence another ooc game. OOC games are in essence exhibitions. They don't lead to anything but they are, in many cases, money grabs. Nevada is playing USC next season and will receive over 1 million bucks just for showing up.

Nevada will also play a buy game against a FCS school. That will cost 200 grand or so. That game leads to nothing but a money grab for the FCS school and maybe a nice upset from time to time.

I do not know how many schools get into the FCS playoff or how they are selected. How many games does it take to win the title? I am guessing it takes 3 extra games. That could add up to 15 games. That is too many in my humble opinion but I guess the money grab part makes it worth it.

For the proponents of the G5 only: How would those schools be selected? How many? Would it be based on G5 only games. Nothing given or added for P5 or FCS exhibitions?

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    A bowl game is in essence another ooc game. OOC games are in essence exhibitions. They don't lead to anything but they are, in many cases, money grabs. Nevada is playing USC next season and will receive over 1 million bucks just for showing up.

Nevada will also play a buy game against a FCS school. That will cost 200 grand or so. That game leads to nothing but a money grab for the FCS school and maybe a nice upset from time to time.

I do not know how many schools get into the FCS playoff or how they are selected. How many games does it take to win the title? I am guessing it takes 3 extra games. That could add up to 15 games. That is too many in my humble opinion but I guess the money grab part makes it worth it.

For the proponents of the G5 only: How would those schools be selected? How many? Would it be based on G5 only games. Nothing given or added for P5 or FCS exhibitions?
    In FCS: 4 total extra games if you're a top 8 teams and make the championship. 5 if you're unseeded and your games start this weekend. NDSU has obviously done it for about 10 straight years. Part of our continued success is the extra 2 months of practice that our underclassmen (especially redshirt freshmen) get. I've heard that the extra games wear on the players by the end of their careers, but it also sounds like they make up for it with a less physical spring program.

In my mind a G5 playoff would function much like FCS. Probably 8-16 teams, yes games against P5 count (just like FCS), games would be hosted by the University to help with travel costs, attendance, etc. From a fan perspective, NDSU has been playing essentially 6 regular season home games, 3 playoff home games and the neutral site championship in texas every year and only after COVID has attendance started to wane. And even then, the attendance issue is more about the quality of FCS competition IMO than "too much football". I don't think you'd ever get "too much football" at NDSU.

You might have to cap it at 8 teams (3 rounds) due to conference championship games and the extra week of regular season in FBS. In an 8 team instance it could be the winners from the MW, MAC, AAC, Sun Belt and the next 4 best G5 teams. In my humble opinion that is a ton more for teams to play for and better than bowls. Its smaller size also helps not distract from bowl games as much, if that's still a concern for some.
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

A G5 only playoff is lame..The only FBS playoff anybody will care about is the CFP .By default, the G5 school that gets the guaranteed 6th spot in the CFP is the G5 champion..

The JV Playoff just doesn't amount to anything.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A G5 only playoff is lame..The only FBS playoff anybody will care about is the CFP .By default, the G5 school that gets the guaranteed 6th spot in the CFP is the G5 champion..

If the comparison is the CFP then pretty much everything else is meaningless, relatively speaking. That includes the current bowls accessible for G5 teams. A G5 playoff would move the needle about the same as the lower level bowls. It wouldn’t make much more than a ripple in the national media world.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

A G5 only playoff is lame..The only FBS playoff anybody will care about is the CFP By default, the G5 school that gets the guaranteed 6th spot in the CFP is the G5 champion..

The thing that's broken about that is that G5 "champion" is selected by a committee ranking that doesn't even have representation by all conferences.
    Based on those rankings, it appears the AAC has a lock on it this year, though there is an outside chance of SBC or MWC slipping in if the right teams win/lose. In any given year it looks like 80% AAC, and 99.9% AAC/MWC/SBC will land that slot.

Even just having the top 2 ranked G5 conference champs play each other for that slot would be an improvement.
    Right now, your odds of making the CFP are highly dependent on conference membership.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    The thing that's broken about that is that G5 "champion" is selected by a committee ranking that doesn't even have representation by all conferences.
    Based on those rankings, it appears the AAC has a lock on it this year, though there is an outside chance of SBC or MWC slipping in if the right teams win/lose. In any given year it looks like 80% AAC, and 99.9% AAC/MWC/SBC will land that slot.

Even just having the top 2 ranked G5 conference champs play each other for that slot would be an improvement.
    Right now, your odds of making the CFP are highly dependent on conference membership.
    I mean the way I read it and i could be wrong is that you could have a conference with divisions that has an upset in the conference championship game yielding a CFP G5 team that is like 9-4.
    *one day later*

I mean the way I read it and i could be wrong is that you could have a conference with divisions that has an upset in the conference championship game yielding a CFP G5 team that is like 9-4.
    I believe that is true.

I believe that is true.
    I'm sure it will happen at times too.

G5 teams are going to try and put together strong schedules to set themselves apart. There could be years where they all fall on their face OOC but take down their intraconference rivals.
    College of Business Alumnus