Page 635 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 1355355856256336346356366376456857351135 ... LastLast
Results 6,341 to 6,350 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    You saw it on twitter yesterday. NDSU's success is a national story, and how successful we would be in FBS is a polarizing debate and a lot of people have an opinion on it. Release the press statement and keep the conversation going at the national (ESPN, CBS Sports, etc.) level. Literally worst case scenario is that we get a TON of free press until another shoe drops in this saga.

Do it.

It's like PuMp iT Up!!!, but a little more professional: Diet Pump It Up
    I just like chirping at Goof fans who have tiny balls and tweet about NDSU and college football. The fear is so palpable.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I just like chirping at Goof fans who have tiny balls and tweet about NDSU and college football. The fear is so palpable.
    Well, in a year or two, after what 75 years(?), the Goophs will finally be able to say they played in the Rose Bowl! (The stadium, not THE game). I can totally see PJ pimping how they went to the Rose Bowl.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Assuming B12 and PAC both survive this round, its very likely to cascade to MWC.
    Conferences are rarely shut down, especially at the P5 level. They will still have $ to rebuild with.
    Ever heard of the Southwest Conference. It used to be a big thing until it wasn't. Ten years before it died, nobody would have ever thought that would have happened. Obviously, the reasoning was a different situation than now but still...

The thing is, none of this crap has really happened before. I wouldn't be looking solely at history to tell us what is going to happen in this situation. It is all very volatile. Not saying to hide from it, just be careful of what you assume based on history.
    Insert something clever here...

Mike McFeely
    @McFeely_Inforum
    Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson: "I've probably fielded 3 or 4 calls from institutions this week saying, 'Hey, don't forget about us if you're looking to expand.' But I don't know if that's in our best interest at this very moment."

Quote Originally Posted by MWC View Post
    Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson: "I've probably fielded 3 or 4 calls from institutions this week saying, 'Hey, don't forget about us if you're looking to expand.' But I don't know if that's in our best interest at this very moment."
    That smells not of greed, but fear.

I found this on a different board.

But it isn't greed. It's fear.

The reason so many here doubted the potential of this (B1G poaching PAC) is because you were focused on sports. IMO, this became evident when Texas moved. Institutions like Texas, which had resided in a world of its own making, and which sat atop yearly revenue leaders, doesn't move out of greed. Something had to scare the hell out of them for that to happen. So, what was it?

Demographic and Economic paradigm shifts amid an uncertain global political future.

These moves are a circling of the wagons for defense, strength in numbers.
    They're probably going to stay with sure things or what they know is proven low risk.

Risk and a fear environment don't mix.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Assuming B12 and PAC both survive this round, its very likely to cascade to MWC.
    Conferences are rarely shut down, especially at the P5 level. They will still have $ to rebuild with.

Not that long ago, people were predicting the demise of B12 and it may end up being in the P3.
    CUSA somehow (thus far) survived losing 9 schools, and they don't even have a media deal after this year.

While some of our fans are anxious, the best course right now really is "monitoring" to see how this all plays out.
    Conferences dropping is more common than you might think. Since the 1-A was formed for the 1978 season:
    Socon and Ivy dropped to FCS in 1982.
    MVC stopped sponsoring football in 1985, Big West in 2000, Big East in 2013(though that’s a bit more complicated), WAC in 2013.
    Big 8 legally dissolved and all its members formed a new Big 12 in 1994.
    Metro and Great Midwest merged to form C-USA in 1995.
    Southwest dissolved in 1996.
    The general trend is a major realignment in the first half of each decade that sees at least one conference leaving FBS. IMO PAC and C-USA are on the chopping block with their meaningful members just waiting for invites. ACC’s GOR is the only thing holding them together and they’re in a lot of trouble if that gets broken. If PAC still exists after this then they won’t be a “Power” conference anymore. The Big 12 has a new commissioner that appears to be excellent. That goes a long ways during times of crisis and uncertainty.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    That smells not of greed, but fear.

I found this on a different board.

They're probably going to stay with sure things or what they know is proven low risk.

Risk and a fear environment don't mix.
    Listening to the interview he sounds like a very poised approachable person who isn't going to show his cards until he has to.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Listening to the interview he sounds like a very poised approachable person who isn't going to show his cards until he has to.
    I thought he was pretty clear that he is not interested in FCS call-ups, but he would be open to PAC or Big 12 schools looking for a home if it comes to that.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I thought he was pretty clear that he is not interested in FCS call-ups, but he would be open to PAC or Big 12 schools looking for a home if it comes to that.
    I believe the MWC has a real shot of ending up with Washington State and Oregon State.