Page 134 of 1350 FirstFirst ... 34841241321331341351361441842346341134 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 13492

Thread: A new and better FBS thread

Default Re: A new and better FBS thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    There are only 3 teams who use a stadium smaller than the Fargodome.

Idaho's Kibbie Dome (they might drop football or go back to FCS)
    UMass on campus stadium, even though they regularly use Gillette Stadium
    UNCC Richardson Stadium.

Only one team, UNCC, built their stadium to the minimum FBS requirement and they have a media market Fargo couldn't touch.

Do we really want to be at the bottom of this list? I still don't see any material benefit to any of this.
    It's not the size of the boat it's the motion of the ocean. But having said that, I'm not in favor of moving up now, I'm a monitor and be prepared guy.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    There are only 3 teams who use a stadium smaller than the Fargodome.

Idaho's Kibbie Dome (they might drop football or go back to FCS)
    UMass on campus stadium, even though they regularly use Gillette Stadium
    UNCC Richardson Stadium.

Only one team, UNCC, built their stadium to the minimum FBS requirement and they have a media market Fargo couldn't touch.

Do we really want to be at the bottom of this list? I still don't see any material benefit to any of this.
    The material benefit would be the ability to play FBS teams vs. D2. Personally, I have zero interest in seeing us play the Incarnate Word's of the football world and I know I am not alone in this thinking. This is a wasted game on the schedule. The media interest generated by FBS games can't be matched by any other game all season. Fan interest in FBS games is only equaled by the playoffs and national championship, also playing (and beating) FBS teams is a feather in our cap when it comes to recruiting. The move to FBS would create more fan and media interest in the Bison. Georgia Southern has seen an increase in donor money since they made the move to FBS, I don't see why the same wouldn't hold true for us. It would be a plus for the entire athletic department and the university as a whole, much like the initial move to D1 was a plus for the entire university.

Are there obstacles to moving up? Yes, some larger than others, but I don't think any of them are impossible to overcome. Do we need to move right now? No, not at all, but eventually we will have ridden this horse as long as we can and it will be time to find a new horse. When will be that time? I have no idea, but it will come eventually.

If the FBS games go away our exposure and recruiting will suffer, maybe suffer immensely in regards to exposure.

I think the FCS is turning into more of a D2+ and I think the new scholarship rules might just accelerate it since the gap between the haves and have nots will grow larger. Wouldn't be shocked if scholarship cuts talks heat up, the Socon has already threw it around if FBS games become more scarce.

NDSU belongs with G5 schools....hard part though is getting in that group. I don't sit here and pound my fist saying we need to jump, but it isn't because I don't think it is a good idea it is 100% because I don't see where we would go.
    Last edited by NDSUstudent; 02-03-2015 at 07:40 PM.

I ask people who think that we would be hurt having to schedule a D2 team, like Montana does.

Do you have a ticket to the Montana game yet? Is it going to be easy to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    GT? oh the guy that moved up? Yea good move for him.

Lol at you coming back and requoting this at 2 in the morning
    LOL at you for responding to to my requote at 8am.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    If the FBS games go away our exposure and recruiting will suffer, maybe suffer immensely in regards to exposure.

I think the FCS is turning into more of a D2+ and I think the new scholarship rules might just accelerate it since the gap between the haves and have nots will grow larger. Wouldn't be shocked if scholarship cuts talks heat up, the Socon has already threw it around if FBS games become more scarce.

NDSU belongs with G5 schools....hard part though is getting in that group. I don't sit here and pound my fist saying we need to jump, but it isn't because I don't think it is a good idea it is 100% because I don't see where we would go.
    Nah dude. Frisco all the way.

Heading to Frisco. New Frisco zip code is 58103 and the new area code is 701 lollolololol.

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEGUYSINGREEN View Post
    The obstacles you mention are indeed real, but I don't think insurmountable. If the FBS games dry up and we find ourselves playing D2 teams to fill out the schedule, then I think it will be time to take a serious, hard look at moving up.

As mentioned by you, PL, and others before, without an invite we are not going anywhere, however maybe the time is now to start laying the groundwork for the move so as to be ready when an invite should come our way. I really haven't seen or heard anything to show that a move to FBS has been a serious consideration by officials at NDSU. Gene Taylor mentioning it to the WAC/MWC 5 years ago doesn't count as actively looking. If they aren't seriously looking, an invite will never come our way.
    Conversations behind the scenes dont need to be made public because the speculative bullshit would be much worse than it is now. This administration knows what needs to be done. They have already said that they are waiting for the shake out to happen and the dust to settle. They have already said its going to take about 5 years for it all to come about and we need to be in position to make a move when the opportunity arises. What more do people need to know?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post

I agree. G5 conferences have no incentive to expand past 12 programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
    Everybody assumes that the P5 and the G5 are going to break away. I don't know if that is going to happen. Granted the rich are going to get richer. Here, is the breakdown for the College Football Playoff shares (This does not include any bowl shares from the 30 plus bowls):

SEC ... $87.5 million
    ACC ... $83.5 million
    B1G ... $60.0 million
    PAC ... $60.0 million
    B12......$58.0 million

MWC....$16 million
    AAC .... $12 million
    MAC.... $12 million
    CUSA.. $12 million
    SunB... $12 million

Of course, if this trend continues, there will only perhaps be 8 or 12 teams in the non G5 that could realistically compete for a shot at a major bowl (NY DAY 6) or shot at a playoff berth. But the G5 teams and conferences are still getting a hell of a lot more $ than they would if they moved down to FCS or if they formed a "new" second tier division.
    The P5 already has broken off . Now the only question is who from the G5 drops out and will they entertain their own playoff.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    The P5 already has broken off . Now the only question is who from the G5 drops out and will they entertain their own playoff.
    They'll have to. With no chance for any P5 teams participating, the bowl sponsorships are going to dry up pretty quickly. I'd be surprised if any remain.